2003 Wr450 Starter Modification

2 replies to this topic
  • jtwonames

Posted December 05, 2005 - 12:19 PM

I just bought a 03 WR450 and have read about the starter problems. Was this a problem with all 03's or did Yamaha address the problem before the end of that production year and if so can you tell by looking at the Vin# ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaFool

Posted December 05, 2005 - 12:57 PM

All 2003 WR450F's had the problem. You can't determine anything from the VIN concerning whether a bike wil have a failure, it seems to be random but frequent bad luck. The 2004 WR450F's have the updated parts in them that eliminated the problem. The decision to change or not to change the affected parts all comes down to "How lucky do you feel?". My fly wheel spun in the garage --- I guess I was lucky that day.

• bg10459

Posted December 05, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Do a search in this forum for "woodruff key" and "04 starter upgrade". You'll likely find more info than you care to read.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.