blew my 400 eng, advice needed

7 replies to this topic
  • azdragoon

Posted December 05, 2005 - 11:56 AM

I flipped my 99 Yz400f on top of myself after a stupid mistake at Glamis. To make a long story short, it broke my rip and dislocated my shoulder, after going over the bars. I thought I was only laying there only a minute or so, and belive my bike was only on its side running for a few seconds. When my buddies lifted the bike up the eng. was seized. We also noticed that the thottle was sticky from sand. Anyhow, now I'm wondering if maybe I was uncouncious for a while and the bike seized from lack of oil, and high rpms. I originally thought it just died from lack of fuel, but now maybe it was a lubrication problem. My question for you guys is, has anyone seized their bike like this and what was the damage? Would I be better off buying a used eng off ebay or parting the bike? If only the cylinder and piston are damaged, is it possible to fit a 426 jug on it. I thought I read somewhere one here that there was a way to do a 426 conversion for more bottom end power. I'm hoping for a little insight before I tear into the bike, thanks

• teamtoxic

Posted December 05, 2005 - 02:35 PM

I managed to lose my drain plug and drain all the oil from my old 426 while riding. I replaced the cylinder & piston and rode it for 2 or 3 seasons after that, no problems.

I don't think a 426 cylinder is a direct swap on the 400. However, I'm sure that others on TT probably have more background on the subject...

- Nick

• azdragoon

Posted December 05, 2005 - 06:20 PM

Thanks teamtoxic, so I take it you didn't see any cam wear? I'm hoping I only trashed my cyl. and piston, but I figure if the heads gone the bike may be junked. Anyone else done this, I can't be the only one to have dumped it and let it run.

• rush66

Posted December 05, 2005 - 08:48 PM

I had an experience similar to teamtoxic. It badly scored the piston and also damaged the cylinder. No wear on the cams or much of anything else. A 420 kit later and it has been running great ever since. If you want to do a 426 conversion it will require splitting the case because the 426 uses a different diameter con rod than the 400 so you would have to put a 426 crank in. Although if siezing it scored the con rod bad enough then the 426 conversion would be the way to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lumpy790

Posted December 05, 2005 - 09:27 PM

I am thinking about parting out my 02 426 Supermoto. Make me a respectable offer.

• nimiz1

Posted December 05, 2005 - 11:07 PM

you can use the 426 cylinder and rod , look here

http://www.powroll.c...A_YZFWR426F.htm

• azdragoon

Posted December 06, 2005 - 03:00 AM

nimiz, thanks for that link thats what I was looking for but could'nt remember where I saw it. Lumpy I'll send you a pm, but I probably need a week or so to pull mine apart to see if its rebuildable.

• lumpy790

Posted December 06, 2005 - 09:31 AM

IM returned.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.