wont rev, only backfires

5 replies to this topic
  • av8shunmeckaneck

Posted December 04, 2005 - 04:19 PM

I just installed a JD kit but I am pretty sure that isnt the problem. When I rev the bike it will just backfire out the exhaust and shoot flames. If I hold it WOT it will just sit there and backfire at a low rpm and shoot flames. Also, the ignition light flickers only when it is backfiring and not at idle. I did the "floating ground" mod and I'm pretty sure that is the problem. Does anyone have a sketch of the wiring diagram for wiring the aftermarket regulator? I bought one from Trail Tech but the closest thing to a diagram is the printing on the side of the regulator. Does anyone have 2 Cents on how to wire it? Im open for suggestions. Steve

• Matty05

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:35 PM

Backfiring is a sure sign of being lean.

check your header for leaks, I got some wicked foot long flames shooting out of mine once even with the spark arrester installed, the header was loose.

A smallest leak will cause the biggest problems, fix this and changing your jetting will actually do something.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted December 04, 2005 - 08:05 PM

It wont rev up though. It will only rev to about 4000rpm and then it just sits there like its hitting the rev limiter and the "ignition light" flashes whiles popping too. Steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Atlasrider

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:24 AM

I just installed a JD kit but I am pretty sure that isnt the problem. When I rev the bike it will just backfire out the exhaust and shoot flames. If I hold it WOT it will just sit there and backfire at a low rpm and shoot flames. Also, the ignition light flickers only when it is backfiring and not at idle. I did the "floating ground" mod and I'm pretty sure that is the problem. Does anyone have a sketch of the wiring diagram for wiring the aftermarket regulator? I bought one from Trail Tech but the closest thing to a diagram is the printing on the side of the regulator. Does anyone have 2 Cents on how to wire it? Im open for suggestions. Steve

Try going back to the stock set up with wiring and see if it still does it. Are you trying to change the regulator for DC lighting upgrades? If so did you move the wire on the stator?

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 06, 2005 - 08:27 AM

I had the same problem when first jetting my '04. What needle are you using - Red or Blue. It's definitely jetting. Try the red needle in the 4th or 5th clip. The 450 is much more finicky about jetting than either of my previous 4xx's.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted December 11, 2005 - 02:37 PM

Turns out it wasnt the jetting. Along long time ago, my regulator burned out and I replaced it. I just now realized it partially ruined my gps power supply and that the Gps power supply would keep draining my battery. I charged the battery and wired the trailtech regulator outputs (red and black) straight to the battery.
I think part of the problem was that I had wired the trailtech back into the stock wiring instead of wiring it directly to the battery. If anybody needs any help with their trailtech or B.D. regulator send me a message. I got it all figured out now. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.