xr400 on the brain.

9 replies to this topic
  • thumpasaurus

Posted December 04, 2005 - 01:47 PM

I ride my brothers xr400 and love it. It is pure woods riding goodness. The brute force of the 650 is a thrill, but where we ride, the 400 is actually faster and easier. I tear through the woods like wudy da wabbit. For only 30 lbs difference, it feels like 100.

I have a recurring urge to swap my 650R for one. Is there something wrong with my head? :applause:

• BWB63

Posted December 04, 2005 - 02:02 PM

There will be the criers :applause: but, you are right...in the tight stuff the XR400 is quicker. I have said this many times. The DRZ400e is a little heavier but, also a nice bike, with a lot more power then the XR400.

• TimBrp

Posted December 04, 2005 - 03:04 PM

I hate those DRZ's. Nice looking bike w/ good power but thin cases, thin hoses, sucky valve check-ups...etc. Past experiences with them will never lead to one in my stable. You're not crazy for liking the 400, if even better than the 650. However, coming out of a corner will never be the same with a 400 nor will the long hill climbs.

• Roll_it_on

Posted December 04, 2005 - 03:27 PM

I retired my 650R to fire roads and dual sport cruising in favor of a 450X which feels like a feather in comparison. I can ride much faster for longer with that bike in the tight stuff. I also have a XR400 that my son rides and every once in a while we trade off and that is an excellent all around trail bike also so in short you are not crazy if in fact most of your riding is in tight trails. Light is nice in the tight stuff. I am fortunate since I am able to keep my 650R for those times when I need a huge torque fix. :applause: If my 450X had that motor I would be in heaven.....

• XRsteve

Posted December 05, 2005 - 02:55 PM

400s are very easy to ride when the trail gets tight. I go much faster on my 400 than I do on my 650L when I'm riding trails. (I know, 650Ls are heavier than 650Rs) So, to answer your question, NO there is nothing wrong with your head!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zx7rye

Posted December 05, 2005 - 04:49 PM

How funny that this got posted! I rode a friends '01 just this past weekend in some fairly tight stuff in New Hampshire. Damn it if I didn't instantly feel faster and in more control. We swapped at one point to do a loop around a sand pit. 1/2 way around, I realize he's not behind me on my 650 anymore. I found him in the pit, off the bike and waving me over. His quote when I pulled up " take this thing, it scares me". Some things I instantly noted, the front end stays more planted on softer terrain @ slower speeds, the grunt is good for tight but does not come close to the 650's power. Leads me to a question...what is the correct gearing for the tighter, slower, rooted, baby head areas? I've found the 650 wants to spin it up WAY too quickly and can't seem to get the power down and do it in a more controllable fashion. The love affair still exists for the 650, but it really opened my eyes to the impact of weight savings in the dirt.

• huntmaster

Posted December 05, 2005 - 04:57 PM

If my 450X had that motor I would be in heaven.....

Funny that's just how I felt after I rode one too. I liked it...and I really wanted to like it enough to replace the 650R, but just thought I would miss the motor (and durability) more then I would appreciate a moderate weight savings. Come on CRF600X!

• TimBrp

Posted December 05, 2005 - 05:21 PM

How funny that this got posted! I rode a friends '01 just this past weekend in some fairly tight stuff in New Hampshire. Damn it if I didn't instantly feel faster and in more control. We swapped at one point to do a loop around a sand pit. 1/2 way around, I realize he's not behind me on my 650 anymore. I found him in the pit, off the bike and waving me over. His quote when I pulled up " take this thing, it scares me". Some things I instantly noted, the front end stays more planted on softer terrain @ slower speeds, the grunt is good for tight but does not come close to the 650's power. Leads me to a question...what is the correct gearing for the tighter, slower, rooted, baby head areas? I've found the 650 wants to spin it up WAY too quickly and can't seem to get the power down and do it in a more controllable fashion. The love affair still exists for the 650, but it really opened my eyes to the impact of weight savings in the dirt.

For gearing on the BRP, 14/51 is nice. I like 14/50 for around here. 3rd gear becomes like (D)drive, no shifting required. Getting the suspension setup is important on these bikes. That planted feel you mentioned...that's why. My pinger bounces off everything. The 650's clutch needs help for New England as it will tear that flimsy basket to shreds. Hi-per springs are a must too. I'll have to say I'm faster on my BRP than my light two stroke.

• bork

Posted December 05, 2005 - 06:07 PM

If I didn't weigh 300lbs I'd be on a xr400. But I can mussle my xr600 for now.

• thumpasaurus

Posted December 05, 2005 - 06:20 PM

...I found him in the pit, off the bike and waving me over. His quote when I pulled up " take this thing, it scares me"....

My brother (400) feels the same way about my 650..

Thinking seriously about step down to a 400 myself. Riding the 650R in the woods is like trying to take a sip from a fire hose.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.