2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?

253 replies to this topic
  • blue9rider

Posted July 28, 2006 - 01:48 PM

is the pro moto billet insert worth it

• darrylwt

Posted July 31, 2006 - 07:00 PM

I just got a 2006 WR450F and looking for the best Muffler and suggestion?

• Guest_thumperyam_*

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:48 PM

is the pro moto billet insert worth it

The pro moto billet is still limited by the plugged up stock wr exhaust. I am happy with my FMF Q2. If I were you, I'd save for a good muffler.

• Morloc

Posted August 04, 2006 - 12:54 PM

Personally, I think that going with an after market exhaust is over kill. You make the bike way noiser than the stock, just get the pro moto insert that opens up the exhaust "enough". I have yet to come across a rider that handle all that the WR450 can hand out in the way of power once the mods are done. So unless your a pro, save your money, and your ear drums. Do yourself a favor and read this article it relates to a ISDT pro that has a OHV training facility in Idaho.
http://www.ohvtraini...quietplease.htm

• Guest_thumperyam_*

Posted August 04, 2006 - 02:25 PM

If you can't handle the power of a 450, why wouldn't you get a 250? Personally I like to have a little more noise so other drivers can hear me when riding in town.

Somewhere in this forum it says you can get 90% of the power out of a WR450 doing the free mods but for those that want that last 10%, it requires more effort including a pipe mod. If your happy with how it runs, then that leaves more time for riding. I like to get all the bike can deliver. This forum has a lot of inexpensive mods that make a lot of difference on how it runs.

In fact if you want a good laugh, call the Yamaha Motor Corporation and ask a technical question. They haven't a clue. In fact I told the people I talked to, to read this forum and become educated. However they only let dealers talk directly to the techs.

• superbee1k

Posted August 05, 2006 - 09:14 PM

I just picked up an 06 WR450F today and wanted to thank everyone for a great resource right from the start. I will be doing these mods to the bike as soon as it is light out. This bike is headed straight to the street as a supermoto so I am sure these mods will help out greatly in addition to everything else! Thanks!

sb

• Turismo

Posted August 05, 2006 - 09:26 PM

Personally, I think that going with an after market exhaust is over kill. You make the bike way noiser than the stock, just get the pro moto insert that opens up the exhaust "enough". I have yet to come across a rider that handle all that the WR450 can hand out in the way of power once the mods are done. So unless your a pro, save your money, and your ear drums. Do yourself a favor and read this article it relates to a ISDT pro that has a OHV training facility in Idaho.
http://www.ohvtraini...quietplease.htm

Personally, I think that you should have got a wr250 if you can't handle the power of the wr450. :thumbsup:

• Turismo

Posted August 05, 2006 - 09:30 PM

Somewhere in this forum it says you can get 90% of the power out of a WR450 doing the free mods but for those that want that last 10%, it requires more effort including a pipe mod.

No, free mods would add about 10% of the power that you would gain from a good mx system on the WR's.

It is the exhaust that is the restriction, a tip won't do much at all unless you knock out both the baffles.

• Morloc

Posted August 06, 2006 - 07:29 AM

Perhaps your right, I'm not as young as I used to be (48) and my gota go faster days are behind me. But having the power available to me when I need it is a plus with the 450. Like I said in the post, its just my opinion, and if you read the link I provided I'm not alone. I do agree that piping does improve performance but at a cost of a lot of noise. A lot of riding areas, are really under siege, by groups that want to take away our rights to ride in them. And one of the big reasons they give for shutting us down is noise. Most of us tend to ignore problems until forced (by a closure) . Check out the link and remember, its just my two cents.

• Morloc

Posted August 06, 2006 - 07:32 AM

Thanks, I'm sure a pro like you otta know.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darrylwt

Posted August 09, 2006 - 11:03 AM

I am with you I want all I can get out of the bike I am riding and I want the noise too so I can hear where I am in the power band, right now it sounds like a sewing machine. I think I will go with the White Brothers E2 beings I can get it for $130.00 with my connections. I ride Harley's so I am okay with the noise. I also had a chance to ride my grandsons (15) 2005 YZ250F and I like the way it handled in the tight stuff and a better controlling power but when you hit the big stuff and sand with the 450 you don't need to shift a lot and I think the muffler will smooth out the power band and you talk about getting to old for all the power will I am (65) and still want as much as I can get. My next mod after the muffler will be the RTT Triple Camp Damper now that is a good mod for a old man Ha Ha Ha!

• Burf72

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:34 AM

Just Fitted a Yoshimura TRC to my 06 WR450, very impressed with it great sound and performance, and looks great to, just in the process of fine tuning the jetting. :thumbsup:

• Turismo

Posted August 11, 2006 - 06:02 AM

Just Fitted a Yoshimura TRC to my 06 WR450, very impressed with it great sound and performance, and looks great to, just in the process of fine tuning the jetting. :ride:

Big difference, huh! :thumbsup:

• BJDAMELX

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:22 PM

Just took my first ride on 05 WR450. Should the exhaust be glowing red?

• Turismo

Posted August 11, 2006 - 09:45 PM

Just took my first ride on 05 WR450. Should the exhaust be glowing red?

Well, yes and no. They get really really hot, but it also could be from running lean. I can only see mine glow at night.

Go through the jetting sticky, use indy's jetting chart for a guide to rejet your bike. The benefit of doing this is not to stop glow (it will to some extent), but to add power and nice crisp throttle response.

• scarp

Posted August 26, 2006 - 07:53 AM

Just picked up a 06 WR450 and the dealer did the airbox, throttle stop, gray wire and exhuast mods.

Seems to run pretty good but I know there is more left on the table. :thumbsup:

• BJDAMELX

Posted August 28, 2006 - 10:04 AM

The free mods are great but i would also suggest the AIS removal kit. The dealer i bought from told me he cut the throttle stop but he didn't cut it as short as he could have. The AIS kit comes with a new stop and a needle & jet that made a big difference. Seeing how much a needle and jet can do I will be buying the JD kit and fooling around with the carb a little more.

• BAHeron

Posted August 29, 2006 - 08:14 AM

1:remove throttle stop and cut down to 22mil.
2:unplug Grey wire from 6 pin connector under gas tank (right side) this changes the timing to YZ specs
3:drill out rivets and remove plug from internal exhaust tip
i haven't re-jetted (not sure if i'm going to) mine seams to run fine with stock jets, minor popping.
These 3 mods make a major power difference.

• darrylwt

Posted August 29, 2006 - 12:14 PM

I just put on a White Brothers E2 muffler and the instruction says no clamp needed and no jet changes needed. Sound great raps up quick haven't road it yet with the new pipe. The gray wire is done and the throttle stop was removed the air box not done and I drought if I am going to do it, lets face it the box is a Lot bigger then the venturi of the carburetor and there must be enough air in the box to accommodate the carburetor venturi. My next mod to my 2006 WR450 is the RTT Stabilizer. :thumbsup:

• SPDFRK450

Posted September 01, 2006 - 03:50 PM

forgive me for sounding ingnorant, but what is this AIS removal kit?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.