2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?

253 replies to this topic
  • airhose

Posted June 26, 2006 - 04:51 AM

No thanks, I swore that I would never eat dog again!

• bcs

Posted June 26, 2006 - 05:15 AM

The TT kit is just the plugs. But the GYYT-R kit, as it also has a couple of jets and needle. And some illustrated instruction on how to do all the free mods (exhaust, airbox, grey wire, etc.).
I jetted mine with the GYT-R kit, did other free mods, and put in a PMB insert, and I'm done. Why keep fooling around with a bike that has enough power.

• airhose

Posted June 26, 2006 - 05:19 AM

PERFECT!

Thanks for the scoop.

• MojaveThumper

Posted June 26, 2006 - 05:15 PM

The instructions in the kit are a bit to be desired as are the pics. Luckily a bud of mine was here (ASC mechanic) and helped with the carb stuff. Rest of it is straight forward. You will need a stand. It makes taking out the carb SOOOOOO much easier with the subframe out of the way.

Carb took us an hr. The rest was done in about 20 mins. Bike turns into an animal with GOBS of torque. You will not be able to get the smile off your face.

Welcome home and thanks for your service to your country and fellow man.

• Ryder62E

Posted June 28, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Paul, I have just read your December post on AIS Removal on an '05 WR450. I have just purchased the Yamaha GYTR kit and have installed it as far as I can go. I feel like an old fool, but I can't figure out from either the included instructions or from my service manual what they are referring to when they say "tap out the anti-tamper plug" and then in the next step say to "Set the fuel mixture screw to 2 turns out from lightly seated." Where in the heck are these two items located? Inside the float bowl? Inside the carb body? Outside the carb body? Is the fuel mixture screw behind this anti-tamper plug? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Woody Allison, Roswell, NM

• Drunken Monkey

Posted June 28, 2006 - 09:50 PM

Where in the heck are these two items located? Inside the float bowl? Inside the carb body? Outside the carb body? Is the fuel mixture screw behind this anti-tamper plug? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Woody Allison, Roswell, NM

it is in front of the fuel bowl drain plug on the bottom.
Take the fuel bowl off to see the fuel screw (which should be replaced with adjustable type) and get rid of the plug.

• airhose

Posted June 29, 2006 - 02:16 AM

It sounds like you are well pleased with your bike and it's performance now?
The GYT-R needle and pilot jet in conjunction with the other mods and PMB insert did the trick? I am not planning o race, just ride. ALOT. I want to avoid chasing jetting gremlins to get the perfect setup.

Thanks
Airhose

• bcs

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:18 AM

It sounds like you are well pleased with your bike and it's performance now?... I want to avoid chasing jetting gremlins to get the perfect setup.

Thanks
Airhose

I did the GYT-R AIS removal kit, followed the included instructions for all the free mods to air box, grey wire, etc., and added an extended fuel screw (just in case i need to make adjustments). Then i added the PMB insert (do this and skip the free mod to the exhaust). So for now I'm set up as Yamaha intended it, the bike rips, I don't have to fool around with a lot of tuning. I'm a dual sporter not a racer so there's nothing to gain by trying to optimize it the way a racer would.

• toddwr450f

Posted July 03, 2006 - 06:33 PM

hey rider its really simple take the plug out as noted above, but you will need to get an adjustable fuel screw its worth the money put it in and set it to two turns out and your ready to go have fun.

• darrylwt

Posted July 11, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Re: 2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods
I just picked up a new WR450F 2006 and the dealer made some of the mods for me as part of the sale, they took the carb. stop out and disconected the gray wire. Now I need to make the other mods like the muffler and air box and jetting and I also heard about a plate to put on the carb to add fuel presser? not shure what it is yet. What is the best mod to make on the muffler??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted July 12, 2006 - 09:03 PM

One mod I wouldn't waste your money on is the JD jet kit. I fully admit I'm a newbie so take my advice for what's it's worth but that is one mod that really had no effect on my bike. Basically for my elevation I didn't have to rejet so all I used out of the "jet kit" was the needle and it had no noticeable effect on my bike. After the other mods my bike rode great and when I put in the JD needle it ran great so that's $60+ I could have used for something else.

Just my opinion but I thought I'd share as so many list that as one of the necessary mods.

• darrylwt

Posted July 13, 2006 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Boyesen Quickshot Accelerator Pump Cover??
What about the Yamaha muffler end cap instead of replacing the complete muffler??

red7 are you saying if you make the mods listed above in other postings that you don't need to re-jet the carb and it won't be to lean??

This my 1st four stroke I always had two strokes and I just sold my CR500 and if you didn't re-jet them after a mod it would run crapy and you took the chance of burning it up.

Will changing the muffler reduce the vibration? :ride:

• red7

Posted July 14, 2006 - 06:47 PM

red7 are you saying if you make the mods listed above in other postings that you don't need to re-jet the carb and it won't be to lean??

This my 1st four stroke I always had two strokes and I just sold my CR500 and if you didn't re-jet them after a mod it would run crapy and you took the chance of burning it up.

Will changing the muffler reduce the vibration? :ride:

Besides an exhaust or airbox mod, the other "freebie" mods (grey wire, YZ throttle stop, etc) shouldn't change how lean or rich you're running therefore no rejetting needed. I bought my bike used from a guy in California at a lower altitude so when I did the 2 airbox mods my bike didn't really run any leaner because I live at 5,200 feet. I was/am such a newbie that I didn't even realize that I had a GYTR insert in my exhaust so that probably helped balance things out with the air box mods. So when I ordered the JD jet kit I didn't need to rejet at all. Per the jetting thread, I didn't think I would have had to rejet any ways. The jets that come with the JD kit aren't any different than the stock ones (quality wise) so really you are paying for the needle. All I was saying in my post was that the needle had no noticeable effect on my bike and therefore wasn't worth the money in my opinion. I'm not complaining since $60 is less than I'll drop on one sushi meal by myself :eek:but I just though I'd give my opinion in case some younger person was debating between the JD jet kit or some knee pads or something more important.

You most likely will need to rejet if your bike runs great now and then you change either the exhaust or airbox.

• Christiaan

Posted July 16, 2006 - 12:58 PM

this info is great I've got a wr 450f 2006 need to do free mods . "Also picked up the Pro Moto Billet Insert." whats this ?
can you do these upgrades with a standard exh?

• darrylwt

Posted July 18, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the info, so far I have done the Gray Wire removed the Baffle removed the throttle stop. I guess I need to do the air box and I ordered a White Brothers E2 muffler and put a Boyesen Quickshot Accelerator Pump Cover on and I think the muffler comes with the jets needed with it. As far as the air box do you just remove the snorkel?

• darrylwt

Posted July 20, 2006 - 03:50 PM

Does anyone know if someone makes a short clutch lever????

• richard_5

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:36 AM

I installed the AIS removal kit. It would seem that there would be more vacuum now that these ports are plugged. Does this affect the intake signal in the carb? Do I still use the same jets in the JD guide, or do some jets change. Am I overanalyzing this?
How can I get the INDY's jetting guide. Is it the same thing as the JD guide?

• nuttynick

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:43 AM

yeah you need to cut grey wire,under tank. cut air box for more flow and fit open can. remove throttle stop and replace wiv 18mm one provided wiv new bike, it will still feel crap just like mine , nuttynick.

• Guest_thumperyam_*

Posted July 24, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Anyone out there have a JD Blue needle for a 2006 WR450F they'd like to sell me? I don't want the whole kit.

• spd33y

Posted July 25, 2006 - 08:53 PM

Hey guys. I am 90% sold on buying an 06 WR450F here in OZ (upgrading from my 03 DRZ400E).

I have been trying to get onto the FAQ about the free mods, but yesterday and today I am having not luck.

Has this been down for a while?

Cheers,
Spd33y.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.