2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?

253 replies to this topic
  • Yamahondaha

Posted April 18, 2006 - 07:34 PM

I did all the mods on my 06 and it is really fast. Don't leave out any mods though.

1. Ais removal
2. Jetting
3. Grey wire
4. two air box mods
5. exhaust
6. fuel screw
:thumbsup:

I removed my snorkel so what is the second air box mod?

• Yamahondaha

Posted April 18, 2006 - 07:39 PM

hey anyone out there feel that the 06 has lost its legs?? i have a 03 with a blown tranny that i am rebuilding for resale and i would love to put that engine in the o6 chassis. the 03 had way way more top end rev ,and apparently i like that cuz it was the first thing i noticed when i got my new bike into the top gears. it has a monster mid range hit and then just signs off. i have the power now, fmf q2 exhaust ,and all the mods are done. (its a canadian model so we dont have all that emmissions stuff you guys in the states do)what else, i didnt put a jd jet kit in this one cuz it seems to run much better than my 03 did stock. the 03 took me a few months of jetting, air box drilling and general f-ing around to get it to run properley (with occasional blown starter gears and starter clutches in between) but once it was set up i loved that bike. so anyways any suggestions on how to get some over rev out of this thing. and yes i have geared it up a tad, but that is more of a band aid fix cuz i do mostly goat trail type riding in the canadian rockies as well as occasional high speed stuff (just got back from the baja where we did 7 days of mostly 5th gear stuff). i am more interested in changing the way the engine delivers power. any such thing as a rev pipe that is still fairly quiet???

anyways any advice would be appreciated. i have tons of experiance with the 03 model if anyone needs some help.

The FMF power-bomb header woke up my XR400's top end, I wonder if anyone has tried it on the 06 450?

• Matty05

Posted April 19, 2006 - 10:02 PM

I removed my snorkel so what is the second air box mod?

Cut holes in the right side of the airbox. Yamaha molded in where to cut just to make it easy!
Pull off the right side airbox cover to find out where to cut.

• Yamahondaha

Posted April 20, 2006 - 07:01 AM

Cut holes in the right side of the airbox. Yamaha molded in where to cut just to make it easy!

Thanx I will do that this weekend :thumbsup:

• egmotocoach

Posted April 23, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hey Folks just rode my new '06 WR450 yesterday for the first time. Kept stalling and was lugging and jerking terribly. I'm in CA, rode it at Prairie City. I had already received the TT AIS removal kit and the JMB Insert and installed them today and also cut the holes in the air box. Just those mods made a huge difference. I will be disconnecting the grey wire (now that I found it) as we ll as cutting the throttle stop to YZ spec. I ordered a JD Jet Kit from TT and a #48 PJ. Fuel screws are on back order everywhere.

All of these mods would not have been possible if it were not for the TT forums. I really have not worked on bike since I was a teen. Things have changed a bit since then, fewer horse drawn carriages and such, I am looking forward to riding this weekend with the rest of the mods. I am not experienced with jetting or using a highperformance jet kit, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

egmotocoach
www.elkgrove-atvsafety.com
WR450FV Mine
TTR125LE Sons

• CALVIN_KLEIN88

Posted April 24, 2006 - 06:16 AM

I'm just finishing up all the mods on my o6' I got a month ago. My suggestion is to do all the free mods. They all work together and you need to do all of them. (For example you can open up the intake and free up the carb but if you don't get the restrictive end cap out of the exhaust those mods won't be able to function correctly.) Also refer to Indy's jet chart to get it close. I have done all those things and my o6 is dialed. I have no complaints.

Here's everything I have done:

Both air box mods
YZ throttle stop
AIS removed with GYT-R kit
Boysen Accelerator Pump Cover
Zip Tye Fuel Screw
Grey Wire Removed
Pro-Motto Billet Exhaust Tip
Jetting at:
168 main
48 Pilot
40 Leak
GYT-R Needle at 4th clip
75 Starter
Mixture screw 1 1/2 to 2 turns out depending on conditions

That's it as far as motor stuff is concerned. I am usually sea level to 2000' 70-100 degrees.

Also take it in and spend the money on getting the suspension revalved respringed for you. That will make as much of a difference as opening up the motor. Good Luck!

• Yamahondaha

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:10 AM

I cut the two holes in the air box and like the way it breaths now. I will build revs quickly and less grumbling from the motor (it is much smoother now) All I have left is the AP tunning, thanx for the info...

• Matty05

Posted April 26, 2006 - 07:44 AM

I cut the two holes in the air box and like the way it breaths now. I will build revs quickly and less grumbling from the motor (it is much smoother now) All I have left is the AP tunning, thanx for the info...

Have you done all the other free mods?
Next would be a pipe and suspension. :crazy:

• electroman

Posted May 01, 2006 - 03:59 PM

Hello Im new to this site and wow what a bunch of knowledge. Just when I thought my new 06 was a turd I can breath a sigh of relief. I do however have a question? I have a 04 yz 450f all torn down to motor and frame could I steal the needle and jets of it? I've done all the free mods and have dr d. slip on, I have not done the ais removal or jetting and bike falls on its face for a second than gets violant all at once at low rpm to roll on power. any ideas would be thankful.

• Yamahondaha

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:07 PM

Have you done all the other free mods?
Next would be a pipe and suspension. :crazy:

I installed the JD jet kit, ripped out the snorkel, punched out the air box holes and installed a Pro Moto Billet exhaust tip. I got the AIS removal kit but am waiting till after my CHP VIN verification and DMV processing to install it (just in case) I have bottomed the front suspension on a jump, do they come with week springs or is 230 lbs too heavy for the stock springs?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I installed the JD jet kit, ripped out the snorkel, punched out the air box holes and installed a Pro Moto Billet exhaust tip. I got the AIS removal kit but am waiting till after my CHP VIN verification and DMV processing to install it (just in case) I have bottomed the front suspension on a jump, do they come with week springs or is 230 lbs too heavy for the stock springs?

230lbs is way too heavy for the stock springs and valving.
I am 240lbs, we get stiffer springs than you guys and they are still way too soft. The stock suspension is really ment for the average 150lbs person......

Trust me when I say get your suspension set up properly with new springs and revalve. It completely transforms your bike into a razor sharp terrain eating weapon. Suspension set up is a must. A revalve is also a must.

Spend the money, it is the best thing you could do to your bike, bar none.

http://www.racetech....angname=english
look here for spring rate calculation.

I had to go to .50kg/mm front springs and a 6kg/mm shock spring.
you can use the same .50kg/mm fork springs and get a 5.8kg/mm shock spring. :crazy:

• Matty05

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:24 PM

Hello Im new to this site and wow what a bunch of knowledge. Just when I thought my new 06 was a turd I can breath a sigh of relief. I do however have a question? I have a 04 yz 450f all torn down to motor and frame could I steal the needle and jets of it? I've done all the free mods and have dr d. slip on, I have not done the ais removal or jetting and bike falls on its face for a second than gets violant all at once at low rpm to roll on power. any ideas would be thankful.

Yes you can steal the needle and jets!
Most parts are interchangable.

Change the jetting, you are lean on the pilot circuit!

• Brentswr450

Posted May 02, 2006 - 02:44 AM

I just picked up an 06 WR 450 as well a couple of months ago. The first thing I had done to it was removed that throttle stop. You can buy the kit to change it for about 20 bucks. Second, remove the existing single air intake and change it to a dual intake which add more air flow into the engine. Third after your first hundred miles on the bike it's best to have a valve job done so the valves don't tighten up, and the last two items to get your WR screaming fast is add a aftermarket pipe & disconnect the "grey wire".

Hope that helps.

• electroman

Posted May 03, 2006 - 02:31 PM

I just ordered my ais removal kit today can't wait. I do however have a question? I have done all the free mods also got a slip on, JD jett kit, and zip Ty fuel screw. I'm taking the new beast to the gncc race this weekend, and wanted to know if I jett the bike to Indy's chart on page 1 butt don't have my ais removed will it hurt anything performance wise? I would hate to race this with the stock pipe no bottom end grunt. :crazy:

• MotoLocoPat

Posted May 06, 2006 - 08:44 AM

The throttle stop that is referred to in the replies above is what will eliminat the halve/throttle problem. There is a bolt that goes up through the bottom, of to one side, of the carburetor that stops the carburetor slide from opening fully. this has to be cut down or replaced with on from a YZ. This with removing the stock baffle will make the largest difference you will see.

• comrade_yzf

Posted May 13, 2006 - 07:56 AM

If i want to slowly increase power from stock(new rider), whats the best order to do them in. I plan on getting a gyt-r slipon for exhaust.

Is a slip on needed for the gray wire mod?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks

• tmaxxnt

Posted May 23, 2006 - 10:21 PM

Pardon my newbie questions, but I am new to dirt bikes, I have experience with cars and gas R.C. cars, so I'm not totally ignorant.

Would just doing the airbox mods be worth it?

I'd rather not do the AIS removal because it's not legal here in California, except for closed course competition.

What about the grey wire removal and YZ throttle stop mods, would they accomplish anything if I don't do the AIS removal?

• bcs

Posted May 24, 2006 - 05:16 AM

Airbox-jetting-exhaust go together. You can do them all and leave the AIS on. Don't do airbox alone. The mixture is lean already, and adding more air just makes it more so.

AIS does not affect performance a great deal. You can do a lot of performance mods and leave the AIS on. You will get tired of listening to your bike popping on deceleration all the time.

Throttle stop--this is literally like someone putting a block of wood under the gas pedal in your new Mustang. When you step on it, it only goes down 3/8 of the way, and the throttle NEVER opens fully. This mod is free if you cut it yourself (or a couple bucks for the right screw) and if you DON'T do this then you should have just bought an XL250. No one has ever come up with a good reason not to do this.

• MTrowbridge

Posted May 24, 2006 - 12:48 PM

In addition to switching the throttle stop to one from a YZ450F and clipping the grey wire, the best improvement I've made to my WR450 has been a Boyesen QuickShot carb pump cover. Cost about $84, and made a huge difference in bottom end acceleration. Also eliminated low end stutters and backfiring. :ride:

• BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted May 30, 2006 - 11:18 PM

hoorah, alot of info here thes mods are greatly appreciated. i am picking up my wr on friday. should i wait to do these mods after i break in the bike or would it be fine to do them first?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.