2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?

253 replies to this topic
  • Yamahondaha

Posted February 23, 2006 - 09:34 PM

Can I ask where you got your AIS kit? I've been trying to locate one.
thanks!

In the Thumpertalk store for LE$$.

• Hog Pilot

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:16 PM

I just bought a 05 Wr450 and I'm looking to do some cheap mods. I've installed the AIS removal kit and I plan on disconnecting the gray wire and new throttle stop. I'm wondering about the exhaust modifications. I don't want to spend $600 on a full exhaust. I saw some aftermarket silencers for around $175. Is this going to make a difference or is it not worth it. I'm looking to get the bast bang for my buck. Any ideas?

• CJ06WR

Posted February 24, 2006 - 01:40 AM

Hog Pilot,

Best bang for the buck would be the pro moto billet insert. It runs about 60 bones and replaces exhaust tip. On my 06 WR450 I couldn't even stick my pinky finger inside the stock exhaust tip. Installation was easy and it looks clean. Go to promottobillet.com and check it out.

• knewton7

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:26 AM

I ordered it right here through TT and had it in about a week.

• Motofox25

Posted February 24, 2006 - 04:44 PM

I just purchased a new 06' WR450F. I was very dissapointed with the power, however after reading through this forum it seems as if I have nothing to worry about. Just ordered a JD Jetting Kit, Boyesen Accelerator Pump Cover, Zip-Ty Fuel screw, and will be working on all the free mods this weekend. I'm new to all this as well so I hope everything works out. Any tips would be really helpful. Also, reagarding the exhaust...by removing the baffle is the bike going to be too loud? Or is the PMB Insert recommended? What is the difference? Will I notice a power differnce between having the PMB insert and not?? Thanks for your help!

• twenty34

Posted February 25, 2006 - 02:03 PM

Don't forget to do the grey-wire, open the airbox and remove and plug the AIS.

I have an extra PMB insert if you want it for $1/2 price? I used it once and ended up buying a new muffler altogether. It's basically brand new so you can't go wrong. It helps quite a bit over stock and is still quiet. I was looking for LOUD and saving some weight so I went with the GTY-R Carbon Fiber.

I'm in Southern California. Not sure where you are located, but you can have it in a day or two if interested. Just private message me.

I just purchased a new 06' WR450F. I was very dissapointed with the power, however after reading through this forum it seems as if I have nothing to worry about. Just ordered a JD Jetting Kit, Boyesen Accelerator Pump Cover, Zip-Ty Fuel screw, and will be working on all the free mods this weekend. I'm new to all this as well so I hope everything works out. Any tips would be really helpful. Also, reagarding the exhaust...by removing the baffle is the bike going to be too loud? Or is the PMB Insert recommended? What is the difference? Will I notice a power differnce between having the PMB insert and not?? Thanks for your help!

• mc

Posted February 25, 2006 - 08:58 PM

Just picked up my 06 WR450F and can't wait to do the mods. Ordered the AIS kit from Yamaha and have to wait 3 weeks because it is on back order. I noticed that it doesn't come with a new main jet. Do I need to go up on the main?

• twenty34

Posted February 25, 2006 - 10:13 PM

Stock MJ is a 165. I went up to a 168 and it's been working fine. You should be fine with a the stock jets, but at some point, you'll want to get all you can from the motor and changing the jets will help relative to the mods since the extra breathing needs a change in jets for best performance.

In short, you should be fine. Try it and see what you think. It's not like it won't run or anything. :thumbsup:

Just picked up my 06 WR450F and can't wait to do the mods. Ordered the AIS kit from Yamaha and have to wait 3 weeks because it is on back order. I noticed that it doesn't come with a new main jet. Do I need to go up on the main?

• Motofox25

Posted February 26, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Hey Rick, Thanks for the offer but Im acually looking for loud and light weight as well. How does the GTY-R Carbon Fiber working for you?

Did all the free mods and AIS smog removal this last weekend. Im working on the jetting this week and hopefully getting a slip on. But just from the free mods there is a huge difference. This is the bike I was expecting after spending all that $$$$$. I am really impressed and can't wait to take it out. :thumbsup:

• wrmotox

Posted February 26, 2006 - 11:58 PM

Stinson Beach? Looking for that red needle... I have one and would be interested in chatting with you for a minute or two before I button up my new "05 WR 450. I'm wondering in if the Bosen Quick Shot is worth the waiting for and which jet combo would work for the Marin County Motorcycle Club (500ft) to Stoneyford (2000ft)? Got any suggestions?

I'm in Marin County just North of the Golden Gate and call you during the day or evening. Let me know about the needle (free) and your availability.

Rob

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:30 PM

Hey Rick, Thanks for the offer but Im acually looking for loud and light weight as well. How does the GTY-R Carbon Fiber working for you?

Did all the free mods and AIS smog removal this last weekend. Im working on the jetting this week and hopefully getting a slip on. But just from the free mods there is a huge difference. This is the bike I was expecting after spending all that $$$$$. I am really impressed and can't wait to take it out. :thumbsup:

The gytr pipes are one of the best available, they are a bit loud, but what mx pipe isn't. Performance is really great.

• Motofox25

Posted March 01, 2006 - 03:42 PM

Thanks! Just ordered a Carbon GYTR and should be getting it by the end of the week. Also need to work on re-jetting the bike but should'nt be too hard. Hope to take it out to Hollister Hills by the weekend if it doesn't rain. Can't wait!! Thanks to everyone in the forums for your help. Now I can really enjoy my new toy! :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted March 02, 2006 - 06:39 PM

You can get the quiet tip if you need it:
http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

• Motofox25

Posted March 06, 2006 - 12:21 PM

So.... after finally finishing my jetting (JD Jetting w/ 48pilot jet, 168 main jet, Red Needle #5) , all free mods, and the Boysen cover, the bike pretty much flies compare to stock. I get a little bit of bog at the begining and front wheel doesnt quite come up 3-5 gear like I expected. Given a lot throttle when at idle makes the bike shut off. Any advise??

• Matty05

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:19 AM

So.... after finally finishing my jetting (JD Jetting w/ 48pilot jet, 168 main jet, Red Needle #5) , all free mods, and the Boysen cover, the bike pretty much flies compare to stock. I get a little bit of bog at the begining and front wheel doesnt quite come up 3-5 gear like I expected. Given a lot throttle when at idle makes the bike shut off. Any advise??

Have you got an adjustable fuel screw?

You might have to go to blue #3 to be richer at the start.
Sounds like you are still a bit lean, bog is lean.

• BrentKesterson

Posted March 17, 2006 - 10:55 PM

Okay, How about a real newbie question:

Where do I find this wonderful gray wire?

I just bought an 05 wr450 that the seller told me he had done all the "free" mods on. (he gave me a bag of smog crap and jets, so I assume he was honest) But, I was really expecting a lot more power. It's not even close to my 03 YZF 450. I also rode a buddies CRF450X, that had basically the same mods (plus he gutted the stock pipe) and it just had a lot better throttle response. I must say that I did barely win all 3 drags we ran, but it jsut doesn't snap.

• boer

Posted March 18, 2006 - 12:39 AM

I just bought an 05 wr450 that the seller told me he had done all the "free" mods on. (he gave me a bag of smog crap and jets, so I assume he was honest) But, I was really expecting a lot more power. It's not even close to my 03 YZF 450. I also rode a buddies CRF450X, that had basically the same mods (plus he gutted the stock pipe) and it just had a lot better throttle response. I must say that I did barely win all 3 drags we ran, but it jsut doesn't snap.

Check if the throttle stop has been shortened or replaced with a YZ stop and check if the grey wire mod is done

• OneToGo

Posted March 18, 2006 - 01:56 AM

A properly modded WR should be close in performance to a YZ and CRF - except for the extra weight...

What pipe have you got, the WR is so restricted it responds very well to simple opening of the muffler or aftermarket attachments.

The motor wont "snap" like a YZ but it sounds like your jetting needs fine tuning - check the jet sizes and if it has JD needles, then see the data base for your ALT/TEMP setup.

The GREY/GRAY wire is under the Tank near the seat.

If it were mine, I would check all the mods have been properly done.
Have fun
:thumbsup:

• roadstarminge

Posted March 18, 2006 - 02:47 PM

I got my 2006 Wr450F two weeks ago, I had been undecided between the WR and CRF450X for a long time, read all the mag articles etc, but when I sat on both bikes the WR felt better, and was better equipt and I was buying my wife a TTR125E at the same time and got a really good deal on the WR, and I have always been a Yamaha fan.

So first riding impressions in stock form were as described earlier in this thread, so no real worries as I wanted to run the engine in with the stock setting just incase any problems showed up, they did not. So I had ordered all the stuff PMB insert, YZ450 throtle stop, Zip Ty screw, JD jet kit and both AIS kits, still waiting for the AIS kits but the rest of the parts arrived last week.

I decided I would try the PMB insert first, fitted easily then I went for a ride around the trails, no real noise increase, good, a little more responsive though. Next up the YZ throttle screw and removal of the air box restriction, both mods were easy, I wish I could have junked the AIS at the same time, oh well. I fired it up blipped the throttle, all seemed well, then I went on the same ride thorugh the trails and onto an open field,.........holy crap this thing is a monster, I am no stranger to powerful bikes but this was awesome, it wheelied in 2, 3 and 4. I love it but I must respect the new power.

Some questions I have not yet cut the grey wire or fiited my JD jet kit or the Zip Ty fuel screw, what will these mods do for the WR, make it smoother? even more acceleration. Has anyone made the grey wire switchable to be used in different riding conditions?

Finally thanks to all of the excellent information in this forum :thumbsup:

• chubbyfat

Posted March 18, 2006 - 03:14 PM

Been reading TT religiously for the past 3 or so months before I finally registered. This is my first post since I do "shut up and listen" before I like to talk on a new subject. got a '06 wr about a week ago.

Went to the TT.com shop based here in Vegas(Brian and Valerie are awesome btw), and got all the initial mod stuff since brand new the WR DOES run like complete dog sh*t. bought AIS kit, PMB insert, etc. and did all the free mod stuff. Holy moses. I'll make the point clear and repeat what a bunch of you have already said a thousand times: with these mods this bike is just plain and simple, a badass.

While I have plenty of experience with 1000cc and below 4-stroke streetbikes both EFI and carb, this is my first off road four stroke.

Last thing, members Indy and Arin are phenomenal. True assets to this board among you other knowledgeable types. Also, the folks at thumpertalk.com Las Vegas are cool as hell. They're only fives miles or so from my house so i'll continue to go to them for parts in the future. I have nothing to offer here just wanted to post more of the same info.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.