2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?

253 replies to this topic
  • MorrisWR

Posted January 12, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Where can I get in the net, a, BOYESEN ACCELERATOR PUMP COVER ?
Can I find it at the TT Store ?
:applause: :bonk:

Here in Brazil I could not find it anyware !

Or you can get it directly from Boyesen www.boyesen.com. They have an online store. It's about $95 on their site.

• Wolfpack21

Posted January 16, 2006 - 10:29 PM

Try eBay.....I'e seen the Boyesen AP cover there for about 75 bucks.

• mmello

Posted January 17, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Thanks everybody. :thumbsup:
I just got from tt store.

Well, talking about WR mods , what about closing off the ACV ?
And then unplugging the TPS ?

Will these Mods make a real diference, on my bike ?

I read that unplugging the TPS reduces the low end , and I ´ll have signifcants gain on mid and hi .

And the ACV ? Doing the AIS Smog Removal Kit , is necessary to close off the ACV ? Will it produce more power ( low, mid, hi ) ?

I´m waithing to receive the stuffs I got from TT store ( JD kit, Smog Rmoval, Boyesen Accelerator Pump Cover, Zip Ty ) I´ll do all of the free mods.
I use my bike most on tracks, trail, and some mid/long rides on the South of Amazon Rain Florest tracks and sometimes at the Jalapão Desert.

• Matty05

Posted January 17, 2006 - 05:38 PM

I read that unplugging the TPS reduces the low end , and I ´ll have signifcants gain on mid and hi .

I don't know where you read that but you are wrong. Don't touch TPS!
The only thing it might do that you might not like is surge a little when cruzing at steady speed / rpm.

The TPS changes the ignition depending on throttle position and load. This is a good thing, as it gives you more power when you need it. Unless you ride on the road a lot, like all the time, you won't notice it at all.

I think you are referring to the "GREY WIRE MOD" which changes the ignition timing to YZ, the WR timing is retarded from about 1/3 rpms? You wont loose bottom if you disconnect it, however you will gain a little in mid and top.

As for ACV, it is really only there to stop "lean condition" when you get off the throttle. What this means in real world terms, is it stops popping. As for removing it, not too many people at all have..... The YZ's don't have it. I think it could be of some benefit removing it, possibly getting better fuel economy as smaller pilot jet would be needed, the fixed 200 main air jet causes us to use a big main jet. Jetting kits like the factory pro kit have you drill this out and tap in another main air jet. If you could change this to smaller, a smaller main could be used. To prove this inefficancy, the WR250's have to use a lager main jet than the WR450, I have a 180 in mine at the moment. The factory pro kit drops this back down to a 135 - 140 range main jet.

• mmello

Posted January 18, 2006 - 08:57 AM

[COLOR=Red]Well , I´m not referring to the "GREY WIRE MOD", so take a look on that : [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]06-24-2004, 01:17 PM

yamaharichey

TT Bronze Member

WR450 Stutter Gone!

Finally, If you have read some of my old posts, I've been determined to get rid of the bog and the steady throttle stutter/hesitation on my 03WR450.With the JD kit the stutter was better and the bog off idle was gone. Then I closed off the ACV and it was even a little better, then I unplugged the TPS and the Stutter is completely gone, it is totally smooth at any throttle setting, which I was starting to think wasn't possible. And its got more power than ever, now without the bog you can just blip the throttle without the clutch and lift the front wheel. So don't ask me why Yamaha would put that stuff on the carb if it doesn't work, I think the idea they had was in the right direction, but like other stuff the manufacures have tried in the past, the ACV and TPS don't work very well. For any of you 450 owners try it you'll like it. Red #5, 160 main, 40 pilot, 1 1/2 turns out at 4500 ft.

@$@$@#$@#$@#$%%¨$¨$%¨$%¨$%¨$%¨$¨%$%¨$%¨$%¨$%¨$¨$%¨$

[COLOR=blue]06-25-2004, 12:36 AM

luke_n

TT Member

Re: WR450 Stutter Gone!

Quote:
Finally, If you have read some of my old posts, I've been determined to get rid of the bog and the steady throttle stutter/hesitation on my 03WR450.

*I hear ya*
With the JD kit the stutter was better and the bog off idle was gone.
*Yeah but not great*
Then I closed off the ACV and it was even a little better
*Now ive heard about this but noone seems to agree on a method. Reversing the diagphram? You left the plunger in?*
then I unplugged the TPS
*Just unplug it and seal up the connectors? Can you take it off the carb altogether? (neaten things up a bit)*
and the Stutter is completely gone, it is totally smooth at any throttle setting, which I was starting to think wasn't possible. And its got more power than ever, now without the bog you can just blip the throttle without the clutch and lift the front wheel. So don't ask me why Yamaha would put that stuff on the carb if it doesn't work, I think the idea they had was in the right direction, but like other stuff the manufacures have tried in the past, the ACV and TPS don't work very well. For any of you 450 owners try it you'll like it. Red #5, 160 main, 40 pilot, 1 1/2 turns out at 4500 ft.

• boer

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:21 AM

Excuse my stupidity, but do these free mods have any disadvantages?? :thumbsup:

What will happen to the low end and midrange torque with these mods? Is it improved, worse or only power increase at high rpm? :bonk:

• Matty05

Posted January 31, 2006 - 03:54 AM

Excuse my stupidity, but do these free mods have any disadvantages?? :thumbsup:

What will happen to the low end and midrange torque with these mods? Is it improved, worse or only power increase at high rpm? :bonk:

Think of it like Yamaha took a YZ and and modded it for off road (different exhaust cam, larger tank, heavier flywheel, 18" rear wheel, wide ratio 5 speed, softer suspension).

All is good.

People wanted to ride this bike on the road, some enduro's require bikes to be road legal, a road legal bike appeals to a much much larger market, to be road legal, Yamaha has to follow emmissions rules and regulations.

Yamaha now restricts the crap out of the bike, to pass emissions.
They choked the crap out of the exhaust, to keep it quiet and less exhaust flow = less fuel mixture in = less emissions. One good thing is that they decided e-start is a good idea, but it adds a crap load of weight.

All is not good.

Free mods is like just undoing what Yamaha did to restrict the crap out of it for emissions.

The only bad thing is that you will use more fuel, and make more polution.

The good thing is that you will turn your bike back into an offroad YZ (with a pipe change). My bike has the same power compared to a '05 YZ450 (my mates brought YZ450's with my WR's), but the power is broarder, slower reving, easier to control, a hell of a lot more tractable. Besides the weight difference, my bike is better in the bush, just the way Yamaha intended. The reason people don't race WR's is that you really don't have to modify a YZ to go racing, pure and simple. They are a race bike, not a choked up road going version. YZ's are also cheaper to purchase and to make them offroad ready.

• dirtbikeboy54

Posted February 02, 2006 - 06:32 PM

all you need to do to make the throttle go full is cut 11mm off the throttle screw. and do the other mods the other guys have already talked about. there is a great article in this months "dirt rider" that talks all about the WR 450.
hope this helps

• boer

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:39 PM

I am gonna do the free-mods but my biggest concern is sacrificing low & mid range torque just to have a screamer. :thumbsup:

Will the whole useable rev range (from idle to cutoff) increase and not only top end???? :thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted February 05, 2006 - 08:51 PM

YES!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Trust me, I did all the mods, the bike is SUBSTANTIALLY improved throughout it's rev range. The only last thing to do is open to exhaust to let it breath better, but you don't have to to see/feel all the improvements.

Do it, and you'll see. You won't look back. The bike hauls afterwords.

I am gonna do the free-mods but my biggest concern is sacrificing low & mid range torque just to have a screamer. :bonk:

Will the whole useable rev range (from idle to cutoff) increase and not only top end???? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • boer

Posted February 05, 2006 - 11:07 PM

Thanks rickk, :thumbsup:

I can't wait..... :bonk: :thumbsup: :eek: :bonk:

I'll be doing this :p :eek: :lol: to all the stock WR's

• Matty05

Posted February 06, 2006 - 06:23 PM

I am gonna do the free-mods but my biggest concern is sacrificing low & mid range torque just to have a screamer. :thumbsup:

:bonk: Mate, you gain more power everywhere!

Just do the mods, get a slip-on muffler and be done with it! You will be amazed with the differences.

The free mods did a bit for power, but most gains come from a muffler change.
The muffler is the thing that really holds this bike back, besides the long throttlestop if you have it installed.

• bcs

Posted February 18, 2006 - 06:08 PM

A couple observations about the free mods:

Installing exhaust plug--this is probably obvious, but this is much easier if you put the gasket inside the plug, then slide 'em onto the fitting.

Removing the grey wire--someone posted that a radio shack pin extractor was useful in doing the grey wire mod. Fuggedaboudit. That pin extractor is for round pins; these pins are flat. Just push the wire out of the male connector using a tiny pick. It will slide right out. I filled the hole in the connector with a drop of silicone.

Removing the plug that blocks access to the fuel screw--a scribe awl is the perfect tool.

Removing the muffler insert--after drilling out the 2 rivets, the insert was really wedged in there. A few hammer taps, using a long drift punch, move it right out.

• Yamahondaha

Posted February 18, 2006 - 08:16 PM

I just picked up my new WR450F and I can't believe how bad it is but I know they are all like this from the factory for EPA reasons. I had a deposit on an 06 Husky TE510 but it took too long to get here and the dealer gave me the option of backing out (because they knew they could sell it for more money to someone else) so here I am going from a 1999 WR400F to an 06 WR450F. It is funny how the 400 ran better than this 450 even before the free mods. I know it will all be ok after the mods because I have been through this before. It is very disturbing the first time around. Hang in there, it gets better...

• minkkinen

Posted February 19, 2006 - 05:55 PM

Helou guys.
I bought mine -05 this past fall. I did change throttle stop, cut the wire and took of the exhaust thing. I have rode it only twice and it seemed to do pretty good. Is there still a big diffrence if I do rest of the mods you guys are suggesting? It starts good with kick start but Would it start better with button after the mods?
What is the best shop to order all these free mods, and can i get them in one place?
Thank you allready
Ps. Anybody living in West Michigan close to Grand Rapids. I just moved here and looking for riding buddy.

Thanks again

• clark4131

Posted February 19, 2006 - 06:12 PM

What is the best shop to order all these free mods, and can i get them in one place?

Not to be a smartass (yeah, right), but if you're ordering things from a shop, then they're not exactly "free" mods. All you have left to do in the free mod arena is to remove the airbox snorkel. After that, you should buy a Zip-Ty fuel screw, a JD jetting kit and an AIS kit (From TT or the GYT-R version) and a couple of starter and leak jets. Use Indy's chart on the first page of the Jetting Database to figure out what settings you need to run. Lastly, If you've only done a couple of rides on the thing, then you need to be thinking about oil changes and break-in valve checks as well...SC

• motormouth

Posted February 21, 2006 - 02:22 PM

I did the free mods to my 2005 and added a YZ Exhaust that was given to me. there are lots of those available if you just ask. I cant beleive the difference. Cut the throttle stop off, disconect the grey wire(biggie) and air box mods. I didnt re-jet but it screams. 3rd and 4th gear no clutch wheelie. :thumbsup:

• knewton7

Posted February 23, 2006 - 03:51 PM

question for all the technical wizards. I am making all the mods, free and otherwise on my 06 WR450. The kit to remove the AIS has a plug for the engine head. the plug is about 3/4 of an inch long. I got it down to about 1/8th from being flush with the head. is this ok? will this cause a problem. does it have to be flush with the head? just wondering and thought someone would know. also, the backfiring immediately stopped when the AIS was removed.

kevin

• twenty34

Posted February 23, 2006 - 04:45 PM

Can I ask where you got your AIS kit? I've been trying to locate one.
thanks!

question for all the technical wizards. I am making all the mods, free and otherwise on my 06 WR450. The kit to remove the AIS has a plug for the engine head. the plug is about 3/4 of an inch long. I got it down to about 1/8th from being flush with the head. is this ok? will this cause a problem. does it have to be flush with the head? just wondering and thought someone would know. also, the backfiring immediately stopped when the AIS was removed.

kevin

• flh88

Posted February 23, 2006 - 05:45 PM

hey rick I'm in the same boat,can you let know what find out.thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.