2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?

253 replies to this topic
  • Pat Jackson

Posted May 16, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Most Dealers will sell you a kit to make it work better. Talk to your dealer

• TheBlackSheep

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:55 AM

Great information in these posts, thanks to all. I'm a newby and just bought a new 2006 WR450. My concern at the moment is cold starting the bike. I have yet to start it using the electric only, I always have to kick start it. Once it's started, it runs (what I think) is fine. I've read about all the mods I can do down the road but what is the easiest way to make the mixture richer and get this puppy to start with the magic button? The local dealer says they can do something for ~$40.00 but it would be nice to do it myself.

This might be a waste of time, but when I brought my WR home, I couldnt get the E-start to work at all. I had to kick start it. I just put the battery on a trickle charger and I havent kick started her in months.........Bahhh:thumbsup:

• DanielGalloway

Posted May 16, 2007 - 10:38 AM

Quick question, did you guys that removed the "peashooter" from the exhaust insert go back and braze-weld in the holes left from the rivets? I removed mine last night and brought it to work today so that I could fill in the holes, but I wonder how important it is that I do it.

Daniel

• B00STN

Posted May 20, 2007 - 10:28 PM

Has anyone here had any experience with the GYT-R jetting kit? are they as user friendly etc as the JD kits? does the same numberings from the JD kit apply to the GYT-R kit?

• hvyxr

Posted May 23, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Has anyone tried a GYT-R muffler insert? You seem to get what you pay for, and $40.00 isn't that much money, of course the web sites say " substantial power increase". For forty bucks?

2002 WR426
airbox lid, grey wire, and uncorked, otherwise stock

• badladd

Posted May 24, 2007 - 03:56 AM

I have not read about how well this insert works compared to stock. I removed my 2006 stock insert and opened up the exhaust probably as much as the GYT-R does so I'm skeptical that it will get you that much of a "performance increase". Have you ridden you bike with no insert? It does look pretty sharp though so maybe it's worth the $40.00 just because of that.

• B00STN

Posted May 28, 2007 - 09:56 PM

Im sure this must have been covered somewhere but if the needle in the carb is adjustable, why would you need to change it for either a gyt-r or jd one?

• badladd

Posted May 29, 2007 - 08:04 AM

Im sure this must have been covered somewhere but if the needle in the carb is adjustable, why would you need to change it for either a gyt-r or jd one?

It's adjustable in length but I think the gyt-r needle in their AIS mod has a different taper at the tip which is the YZ needle. I did many mods at once so I can't tell you how much the needle replacement is contributing to my significant better performance than stock.

• hvyxr

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:09 PM

The only thing in my muffler is the spark arrestor. In this configuration, the bike is not too loud, and probably has better performance than the GYT-R insert. Comparing it to the stock WR plug is most likely where they claim the power increase. I'll probably just leave it alone. Advancing the exhuast cam for the YZ timing I should look into. It has been covered in TT many times. Hopefully, I won't lose much low-end, and when the trail opens up, more mid range and top end!!

• B00STN

Posted May 30, 2007 - 01:05 PM

It's adjustable in length but I think the gyt-r needle in their AIS mod has a different taper at the tip which is the YZ needle. I did many mods at once so I can't tell you how much the needle replacement is contributing to my significant better performance than stock.

Is the stock needle in my 06 wr450 adjustable? when i brought my bike it was brand new, but they had already removed the AIS and done both airbox mods and shortened the throttle screw, all of this i will add that they didn't tell me that they had done.
The needle in the carbie on my bike is adjustable so im wondering if that is stock or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • badladd

Posted May 30, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Is the stock needle in my 06 wr450 adjustable? when i brought my bike it was brand new, but they had already removed the AIS and done both airbox mods and shortened the throttle screw, all of this i will add that they didn't tell me that they had done.
The needle in the carbie on my bike is adjustable so im wondering if that is stock or not.

The needle inside the body of the carb is only adjustable in the sense that it has a lock-clip on the high end to change it's length. Are you talking about an adjustable throttle mixture SCREW that you can change on the outside of the carb? If so, that is not stock and they added that as well.

• Pat Jackson

Posted June 03, 2007 - 05:38 AM

Do not use the pro-curcuit pipe. They say it will pass sound but it doesn't and they don't back it up.
Just ask the rangers at Hollister Hills.
I know the FMF Q2 pipe pases. Good luck

• crackjacker

Posted August 01, 2007 - 05:35 PM

hmm. the stock, yz450 throttle stop screw, from the top of the 4mm allen head, to the absolute end of the shank = 23.5mm. there is a bevel at the end of the stock screw that most people measure to, the 1/2 d of said curve from end of tangent to end of tangent = 0.5mm. but hey. cut it to whatever you want to. just field test it to make sure your throttle doesn't stick.

p.s. I bought the yz screw and measured it myself 1 week ago. but, whatever.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 01, 2007 - 08:34 PM

hmm. the stock, yz450 throttle stop screw, from the top of the 4mm allen head, to the absolute end of the shank = 23.5mm. there is a bevel at the end of the stock screw that most people measure to, the 1/2 d of said curve from end of tangent to end of tangent = 0.5mm. but hey. cut it to whatever you want to. just field test it to make sure your throttle doesn't stick.

p.s. I bought the yz screw and measured it myself 1 week ago. but, whatever.

I cut mine to 23 mm and the slide opens just past the top of the venturi hole. No more, no less. It doesn't stick w/ the JD needle either.

• tinto

Posted August 15, 2007 - 10:08 AM

hello people,

i just found this site and i think its great!!
i got a 2005 wr 450 with a full akrapovic exhaust and have a week of next week so i, will be doing the free mods plus installing the AIS eliminator kit.
one question though, if you do all these mods (yz450 throttle stop screw,cut grey wire) won,t the bike run too lean in the higher rev range??
please note that i live in holland so that at 0 meters elevation and about 15 degrees centigrade....

• inspector

Posted September 19, 2007 - 07:31 PM

I just got a 06 WR450 had the airbox,cable stop & jetting done.Put on a new FMF powercore and have a Boyesen acc. pump cover on the way.Can anybody tell me where the grey wire is & do I really need to do it ?

• inspector

Posted September 19, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Just bought a O6 WR450F.Had the airbox,throttle stop & jetting done.Put a new FMF Powercore on & have a Boyesen accelerator pump cover on it's way.Can anybody tell me where the grey wire is & do i really need to do it ?Also is there anything ealse I should do ?:thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 19, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Just bought a O6 WR450F.Had the airbox,throttle stop & jetting done.Put a new FMF Powercore on & have a Boyesen accelerator pump cover on it's way.Can anybody tell me where the grey wire is & do i really need to do it ?Also is there anything ealse I should do ?:thumbsup:

Gray wire in= Mellow/tractable
Gray wire out=agressive

I believe the gray wire on the 06 is in the 6 pin connecter under the tank.

• WR450RICKO

Posted September 20, 2007 - 04:42 PM

stock is not adjustable

• WR450RICKO

Posted September 20, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Has anyone here had any experience with the GYT-R jetting kit? are they as user friendly etc as the JD kits? does the same numberings from the JD kit apply to the GYT-R kit?

The GYT-R kit is all you need to liven her up from stock.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.