2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?

253 replies to this topic
  • superbee1k

Posted September 01, 2006 - 04:56 PM

Just finished removing the AIS and doing most of the free mods except for cutting the holes in the side of the airbox...

WOW

I was happy with the bike before, now I really can't wait for my motard stuff to get here!!!!!

• Thumper_426

Posted September 01, 2006 - 08:46 PM

I have an '06 WR450F as well. I've done the air box, removed the exhaust baffle and tonight I did the gray wire. I'm ordering the AIS kit next week. I'm already stoked how the bike does vs. what it did when I first rode it. I'll find out Sunday how well it is now having the gray wire done now also. Thanks to those who gave the info. here.
Mark :thumbsup:

• darrylwt

Posted September 05, 2006 - 07:48 AM

Well I put the RTT Stabilizer triple clamp on Sunday can't wait to try it out but it has been to hot in Calif to ride but I will be out as soon as it cool a few degrees.
So far I have done the Gray Wire, Throttle Stop. White Brothers E2 muffler, the dealer told me that you don't get any thing much by putting on the AIS kit but it looks good when the Ranger shows up to have it on so I was going to leave mine hooked up????
I am not sure about the Dead Air Box mods if they are necessary???? The muffler instructions says no jetting was necessary???

• Alley Cat

Posted September 08, 2006 - 06:14 AM

I am not sure about the Dead Air Box mods if they are necessary???? The muffler instructions says no jetting was necessary???

As for airbox mods, the battery takes up most of the available airbox space.
By just cutting the holes in the side of the airbox, the available air becomes so much greater. Don't worry about crap getting in, the holes are still covered.

Have a look at a yz450 airbox if you can to get an idea of what they have for air availability. On the YZ450F's, the airbox is more of protection for the filter than a restriction like the WR450's.

As for the muffler and jetting, only you will know if it needs rejetting or not!
If it feels good and crisp, you are good to go!

• osarika

Posted September 14, 2006 - 06:26 PM

A couple of comments, if anyone is interested. Purchased my '06 WR450 in Sept 2005. Dealer did the air box mod, throttle stop, and removed the stock exhaust insert altogether, as well as a 'barely' street legal kit (mirror, horn, license plate).

I didn't worry about the grey wire mod, nor have I jetted the bike.. I ride anywhere in elevation from my house @ 4600 ft up to 9600 ft. on a weekly basis.. and the temp. difference is quite large in the summer (50F to 95+), so I am not quite sure about what I would jet my bike to (recommendations are always welcome).

Anyway, a few months after purchase, I put in the promoto billet exhaust insert to save my ear drums (and sometimes wear 'light' ear plugs when I ride). There is a noticeable difference in power, but my hearing is worth it and the bike still has plenty of power for my riding style. I am considering the AIS kit, but really, I am not bothered terribly with the popping on deceleration... it's a afterthought mod if you ask me.

One year later, I still love this bike. Yamaha makes awesome bikes!

• yamaslamma

Posted September 25, 2006 - 10:57 AM

A couple of comments, if anyone is interested. Purchased my '06 WR450 in Sept 2005. Dealer did the air box mod, throttle stop, and removed the stock exhaust insert altogether, as well as a 'barely' street legal kit (mirror, horn, license plate).

I didn't worry about the grey wire mod, nor have I jetted the bike.. I ride anywhere in elevation from my house @ 4600 ft up to 9600 ft. on a weekly basis.. and the temp. difference is quite large in the summer (50F to 95+), so I am not quite sure about what I would jet my bike to (recommendations are always welcome).

Anyway, a few months after purchase, I put in the promoto billet exhaust insert to save my ear drums (and sometimes wear 'light' ear plugs when I ride). There is a noticeable difference in power, but my hearing is worth it and the bike still has plenty of power for my riding style. I am considering the AIS kit, but really, I am not bothered terribly with the popping on deceleration... it's a afterthought mod if you ask me.

One year later, I still love this bike. Yamaha makes awesome bikes!

I did all the same stuff, no grey wire??? What evet that is, I guess I need ot go back and re-read this postl, but If I were you I would do the AIS kit. It does make a difference.

and yes, I agree Yamaha has made a really nice bike in the WR450F.

• davemo94

Posted October 05, 2006 - 06:55 AM

I did all the 'free mods' to my '06 WR450F last week (GYT-R AIS removal kit, opened air box, yz throttle stop, cut gray wire, new pilot jet, adjustable needle, zip-ty fuel screw, and PMB exhaust insert). Took it it out on some trails and a track last weekend, and OMG these mods make this a totally different bike!! Great power increase; smooth, crisp throttle response, and no more backfiring!

Thanks for all the great information in this forum :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

Anyone wondering should definitely do all these mods. Very easy to do, and great performance increase for the cost. I can't think of any drawbacks :devil:

• tony hord

Posted October 11, 2006 - 03:43 PM

AIS is air injection to help burn spent fuel to meet CA regs for trail bikes...it is un-needed. AIS removal is cheap and easy. Get the kit here at the TT store.
http://shop.thumpert...talk_aissrk.htm
OR yamaha OEM has a GYTR kit that does the same thing.

The throttle stop is long, open up the throttle body, and remove the stop, cut it to YZ specs, re-install. free mod.

Open up the airbox by removing the snorkel, and cutting open the right side. Im not sure if the 06 have the pre-scribed cutting areas.

find the grey wire and clip it or disconnect it. This will recurve the timing to meet the demands of full throttle.

Open up the exhaust in whatever manner is appropriate, remove baffle, aftermarket endcap, aftermarket slip on silencer, etc.

re-jet the bike using INDY450's jetting chart:
Elevation 0 to 4,000. feet

30 to 45 degrees: 172 main, JD Blue #5, 48 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 75 starter jet, #0 leak jet
45 to 60 degrees: 170 main, JD Blue #4, 48 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 72 starter jet, #0 leak jet
60 to 75 degrees: 168 main, JD Blue #3 or JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet
75 to 90 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet
90 degrees plus: 160 main, JD Red #4, 45 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

Elevation 4,000 to 8,000 feet:

30 to 45 degrees: 170 main, JD Blue #4, 48 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 72 starter jet, #0 leak jet
45 to 60 degrees: 168 main, JD Blue #3, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet
60 to 75 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #40 leak jet
75 to 90 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 45 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 65 starter jet, #50 leak jet
90 degrees plus: 160 main, JD Red #4, 45 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

Elevation 8,000 to 11,000 feet: ( Note you will loose a lot of power due to altitude but your bike will idle and not foul plugs!)

45 to 60 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet
60 to 75 degrees: 160 main, JD Red #4 , 45 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet
75 to 90 degrees: 158 main, JD Red #3, 45 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

and refer to my tutorial when jetting:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=309069

if i order the ais kit will it come with instructions for the throttle stop and grey wire i was unable to find grey wire? i have 06 wr, thanks tony

• boer

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:01 PM

if i order the ais kit will it come with instructions for the throttle stop and grey wire i was unable to find grey wire? i have 06 wr, thanks tony

The below link has all you need to know about throttle stop and Grey wire mod :devil: :

http://www.thumperfa...ee_mods.htm#WRF

• Reaman

Posted October 12, 2006 - 02:36 AM

Hey Rick,
Best suggestion is to talk it back to your bike shop after the fist 500km and ask them to remove all of the restrictions.
Stuff you can do is cut extra holes in the air box, fit an after market pipe and ask the bike shop to change the needle and main jet from the carby on the YZ450. This is the mods I've done and the bike is very high in performance without carrying out too much work or expense. There is lots more that can be done but I suggest you keep it simple at the start.

Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • david bryan

Posted October 18, 2006 - 04:09 PM

i am having problems finding out about cutting the throttle stop screw for the wr450. Does anyone know what the legenth should be?

• illTTR

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:41 PM

http://www.thumperfaq.com/throttle.htm

#

The throttle stop screw measures ~1.30" (33mm) while the STEM only measures ~1.10" (28mm).
#

The throttle stop should be cut to a total length of 0.975" (24.765mm) or a stem length of 0.790" (20mm) in order to match the YZF's full travel.

• Gaultier024

Posted October 22, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Just got a 06 wr450, if i do the AIS removal do i need to rejet the carb also?
Any ideas for a new slip on? Factory 4 is what im leaning towards

• Alley Cat

Posted October 22, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Just got a 06 wr450, if i do the AIS removal do i need to rejet the carb also?
Any ideas for a new slip on? Factory 4 is what im leaning towards

You might have to rejet anyway, but AIS will get rid of most of that popping.
As for a new slip-on, I am not a fan of fmf pipes, but many here are. The factory 4 is a bit loud (~102+db)so you have been warned. There are lots here that like the Ti powercore slip-on (~100+db) and you can get the quiet core if the noise is too much for you. Just remember, the "mx" systems will make the most power, and the "quiet" systems will do next to nothing for power.

• dbpmkp

Posted October 27, 2006 - 03:22 PM

Just bought a new 06' WR450 about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't impressed with the power and was having difficulty idleing. Seemed to run hot. Anyway, I decided to perform all the free mods and WOW!!!! what a difference!!! :mad:

Replaced stock baffle with PMB insert, removed airbox snorkel, shortened throttle stop screw to YZ specs, disconnected grey wire, rejetted using JD kit (red needle in 4th position, #168 main, small o-ring), zipty fuel mixture screw (1.75 turns).

It now runs like it should have in the first place. Idles like a dream. Runs alot cooler.

Thanks TT members. :mad:

My wife now knows I'm having fun because of all the bugs in my teeth!!! :mad:

• kc55555

Posted October 30, 2006 - 09:50 PM

I have an 06 wr450 w/ the JD kit. What does the o-ring really do? I left it off because I do not know what it does....

• dbpmkp

Posted October 31, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Not sure what the o-ring(s) are for exactly. I just installed the thin o-ring instead of the thick one. The only thing I can think of is that it is for when you romp on the throttle, it provides a quicker(earlier) shot of fuel than whithout it??? Hopefully, someone with a more technical explanation can chime in. All I know is that the power increase from stock is wooooohoooooo!!!!

• bullybull9

Posted November 30, 2006 - 05:32 AM

I read the dirt rider MAG, write up on the 05 wr and they didn't jet the carb ,, all they did was the gray wire , the throttle stop ,exhust ,, I live in massachusetts ,, will I need to jst the carb.

• clark4131

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:58 AM

Go to the jetting database in the Index...SC

• bullybull9

Posted December 01, 2006 - 06:06 PM

any pictures of the gray wire on the 06 450 ,, I did the throttle stop today and that alone doubled what it was stock,, so I'm starting to get happy ,, front tire came off the ground ,, I actually had to use the brakes,, ,, so any pictures of the gray wire or a exzact location .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.