thinking about modifying the front sprocket

3 replies to this topic
  • djo269

Posted December 04, 2005 - 01:36 AM

I just bought a 15 tooth front sprocket for my 03' yz450. So I will have a 15/49 combo. But it sure seems a bit heavier than the 14 sprocket. So I was thinking about drilling a few holes in it to decrease some rotational weight. Would this throw off any balance in design that went into the sprocket? What I mean is does the holes have to be strategically drilled to maintain a rotational balance? I know it may seem weird but could be important so I dont put unneccessary strain on transmission parts,etc by having a lopsided sprocket spinning. thanks for any input.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:24 AM

It is a good idea to balance the hole pattern to maintain the rotational balance center. Drill away but leave some meat on the sprocket because if it blows apart you could crack your engine case or even damage your transmission! :ride:
I would look into a Titanium chain first and leave the sprocket alone IMO. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted December 04, 2005 - 10:22 AM

I wouldn't bother with drilling it. Your not going to save that much weight. You won't be able to tell a difference in the weight.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 04, 2005 - 12:46 PM

renthal makes one thats already drilled :applause: and dan i'm not real sure if that sidewinder "ti" chain actually has anything to do with titanium? its heavier than my DID x-ring that was on before it. it may be an alloy of sorts, if thats even possible. it lasted a good while before i had to tighten it.(way longer than the DID)

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.