how fast?

45 replies to this topic
  • Matty05

Posted December 05, 2005 - 03:39 PM

i can't remeber the exact things we did to that bike ,but it had a supertrapp exhaust,some sort of baja cams that were being produced at the time (may have been crower,sounds familiar?) upped a point compression @ .030 over. airbox mods,and bigger carbs. i forget the exact gearing but 15/45 sounds familiar? well anyway we had some cam 2 race gas left over from the race car and filled'er up and hit the highway to see how much difference the fuel would make, well thats what it really needed! woke that puppy up.... i passed that cop and didn't see him (as my face was buried in the speedo) and when he finally did catch me (10 miles later),he actually let me go(after a verbal scolding) as he was a fellow dirtbiker and could not believe that a dirtbike could go so fast :applause: .....but i definately ran out of HP as the bike was still in enough control to go faster :ride:

Sensational! I got a good mate that I always bag out with a XR650R. I went quiet the day he let me ride it, 70 rwhp does alot for the senses!
I am pretty sure 15/45 is standard gearing on the BRP.
My mates want to run AVGAS in their YZ450's because we can get it nearly half the price of 95 octane premium fuel. I have read it don't do much on a 4 stroke but on my YZ125 I could drag it with the other 250 2 smoke's.

I can get about 170kph (105mph) out of the WR with 15/50. I too think HP is the limiting factor as it is not really reving it's tits off at all. Plus it has to haul my fat ass down the highway but it helps with the wheel spin!

• WGP

Posted December 05, 2005 - 04:06 PM

My stock everything 05 WR goes 90 mph +/- 2 mph :applause:
Rode side by side w/ a KTM w/ computer, his topped out at 94 mph (all stock). This was down a dirt road.

• redmansz400

Posted December 05, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Sensational! I got a good mate that I always bag out with a XR650R. I went quiet the day he let me ride it, 70 rwhp does alot for the senses!

ya my buddys got one of those and he said my bike was alittle slower than his but not by much. we have yet to drag and i have yet to find out if its a six speed cus its being worked on right now.

• bluebike1999

Posted December 06, 2005 - 02:04 AM

do you Know marcus?

just read your 'my girlfriend got a boyfriend' post.
longest post ive ever read, and one of the funniest since marcus's

as for 6 speed wr, does your 'mate' who said it was a rare six speed race kids on xr50s in a 6 acre paddock with a 300 acre pond?

as for 'doing a speed run without a helmet at night', if you do look like having a crash, try to fall away from the bike and try to avoid the bike hitting anything too hard, at least that way it may end up in the hands of someone with a brain.

• redmansz400

Posted December 06, 2005 - 05:51 PM

nope can't say i know marcus. but i just went out and shifted my bike by hand and only felt four gears so i think its safe to say its a five speed lol

• ISBB

Posted December 06, 2005 - 07:10 PM

94 clocked by the local po po on a ditch bank w/ stock gearing bouncin off the limiter.. :applause:

• redmansz400

Posted December 06, 2005 - 09:44 PM

nice!!! i know a couple cops maybe i can get them to clock me... but then they would probably still give me a ticket

• simon@vic

Posted December 06, 2005 - 10:21 PM

i have had problems getting any upright dirbike past 185km/h indicated. and I'm skinny !!
if you guys are some how getting 200km/h, i dont know how.....

• ncmountainman

Posted December 07, 2005 - 06:31 AM

i have had problems getting any upright dirbike past 185km/h indicated. and I'm skinny !!
if you guys are some how getting 200km/h, i dont know how.....

HP my man,HP :applause: and if it matters to ya i was on a downgrade,maybe even with a tailwind? ever since i was a kid (i've worked on my own bikes since before i was 10) i always hot rodded everything i've owned. just because you can't do it ,doesn't mean its impossible.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 07, 2005 - 07:50 AM

124 mph (200 kph) takes about 70 hp on a street bike. With our knobbies and lower tire pressures I think it would take up to 80 hp to get there. :ride:
That is a lot of modding out for a dirt bike :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 07, 2005 - 01:34 PM

124 mph (200 kph) takes about 70 hp on a street bike. With our knobbies and lower tire pressures I think it would take up to 80 hp to get there. :p
That is a lot of modding out for a dirt bike :ride:

didn't have anywhere near 80 hp dan , maybe more like the high 50's. it ran some sort of bridgestone 50/50 tires and i ran it primarily as a street bike so the pressures weren't low. and ya gotta remember that bike was not all that heavy,and i had taken alot of stuff off to lighten it also. it didn't weigh much more than a wr,and i was only 230LBs back then. a stock wr only dyno's at 38 hp w/free mods. well i can tell ya it happened anyway ya look at it,i don't know how accurate those radars are, but he showed me and i remember the cop saying it was just calibrated :p i've got no way to prove it but that cam2 race gas seemed to make it at least 5 mph faster :applause:

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:31 AM

HP my man,HP :applause: and if it matters to ya i was on a downgrade,maybe even with a tailwind? ever since i was a kid (i've worked on my own bikes since before i was 10) i always hot rodded everything i've owned. just because you can't do it ,doesn't mean its impossible.

I can go 140km/h all day on my girl's WR250. I can get up to 150km/h going down hill. The 250 has the stock 13/52 gearing. No wonder why I have trouble catching her now on my 450!

All my mates were impressed when I hosed them on my missus's 250! How's that for a girls bike!!! I said that I would take her bike for a ride roost their asses!
They just laughed at me. Old fools on XR600's! They learnt their lesson!

• ncmountainman

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:21 AM

124 mph (200 kph) takes about 70 hp on a street bike. With our knobbies and lower tire pressures I think it would take up to 80 hp to get there. :p
That is a lot of modding out for a dirt bike :ride:

1974 ducati 750ss,65 bhp, 445lbs,135mph. thats 10mph more ,with less than 70 hp,and 200lbs extra :applause: granted it did have a half fairing,but still thats 40 yr old technology :p

• B-Rock

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:29 PM

last post sounds about right....lol

I have a 2005 WR450F that I have had for about 4 months now... I am in the middle of doing all my free mods and a mix of other stuff on it right now (at least I can work on it in the winter!!).

anyways.....as soon as I got it I put a street kit on, kept the nobbies and went out and tested it for top speed. The Edurance speedo said I was doing 173 km/h when I started alittle too much woblbing for my like.

I will hook my GPS onto it in the spring when it is a new bike and see what it can really do.

• Matty05

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:39 PM

anyways.....as soon as I got it I put a street kit on, kept the nobbies and went out and tested it for top speed. The Edurance speedo said I was doing 173 km/h when I started alittle too much woblbing for my like.

That's with 15/50 gearing right?
I get about 170km/h out of mine with 15/50, but I don't trust my stocko speedo that much.

• snakesausage

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:56 PM

This is theoretical top speed not taking maximum horsepower and wind drag into consideration.

104mph or 167kph
Please see link below for chart and graph.
05_WR450F_gearing

I have also done the calculations for a YZ450F
05_YZ450F_gearing
89mph or 143kph

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 09, 2005 - 11:52 AM

1974 ducati 750ss,65 bhp, 445lbs,135mph. thats 10mph more ,with less than 70 hp,and 200lbs extra :applause: granted it did have a half fairing,but still thats 40 yr old technology :ride:

Check out the following link. Hard to believe that someone reached 124 mph (123.75mph) in 1981....on a KTM 495. By the way, the bike was making 50HP

http://www.off-road....machines/81ktm/

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 09, 2005 - 01:02 PM

50 rear wheel HP means about 65 HP at the engine. So that is about what we can expect from a modded out dirt bike no matter what year.

• cksea

Posted December 17, 2005 - 09:38 PM

I think he is talking about the super secret rare race version of the WR. They only made a six speed for those who gave them pounds of weed.

My WR that has motor work and 14/43 gearing will do 102mph. But I think that the 6 speed WR would do 155mph even faster than Johnney's bike.

6 speed WR

I'll eat my word if you give me proof and I'll give you 2K for you six speed gear box.

WR 200 had a six speed you guys dont know your yamahas can I have my 2k now go check it out

• Matty05

Posted December 18, 2005 - 05:59 PM

WR 200 had a six speed you guys dont know your yamahas can I have my 2k now go check it out

We don't like 2 smokes around here, WR's started life as a 400! :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.