how fast?

45 replies to this topic
  • redmansz400

Posted December 03, 2005 - 09:22 PM

my bike is discribed below all except the white brothers E2 pipe. its got a 6 speed which is kinda weird. how fast do you think it will go? i was riding on the street :applause:... and was 6th gear pinned. i started to get tunnel vision :ride: so i think it would be safe to say somewhere above 100mph

• Motone82

Posted December 03, 2005 - 09:35 PM

It is a 6 speed? How did you get that?

• redmansz400

Posted December 03, 2005 - 09:39 PM

i guess thats the way they came that year. the guy who soldit to me said thats what it was and i didn't bother counting when i was riding it (through town without helmet at night:bonk:) i was to busy watching for any thing that might jump in front of me and cops. i just went out for a speed run and came back to the house

• rich1167

Posted December 03, 2005 - 09:40 PM

Get someone to follow you in a car that can keep up. Or any cheap GPS will work. I think someone on here said a 450 will go about 80 or 90 depening on gearing and set up.

• redmansz400

Posted December 03, 2005 - 09:43 PM

i was thinking about a gps system. they seem like a pretty nice piece of equiptment to have. hmm... santa, thats what i want for christmas

• Brettv

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:44 PM

my stock 99 wr400 is a 5 speed

• atf8611

Posted December 04, 2005 - 12:04 AM

count the gears next time, i would bet that its a 5 speed. I think that they will do around 70-80 with stock gearing, and i have heard of supermoto versions getting to around 115 b/c of different gearing.

• NavyNuke

Posted December 04, 2005 - 12:41 AM

I know I was able to get my DRZ400 to 97mph where it either ran out of hp, or gearing, within one or two mph of that. It was a supermoto though. Not sure about the WR, havn't speed tested it yet.

• redmansz400

Posted December 04, 2005 - 12:43 AM

ya i'll have to count next time. he said that they stoped making the 6 speed so maybe its just a rare model or something. thanks for the help

• simon@vic

Posted December 04, 2005 - 03:10 AM

no. you are wrong and he is wrong. there has never been a 6speed 4stroke WR.

top speed is governed by gearing............ not bike or HP {unless there is none}. most dirt bikes with fast gearing will do about 180km/h and no faster. you hit a wind barrier that you cant get past on an upright dirtbike.

im surprised you counted 6 gears. where you stoned? it has a 5 speed and that is only 4 shifts
- 1->2
- 2->3
- 3->4
- 4->5

im honestly surprised your not on here thinking it is a 4 speed!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 04, 2005 - 06:18 AM

how many mph is 180kmh? because i've done 125 mph on a modded xl600,i know because i was clocked by the po po :applause: and the only thing holding me back was hp; i could of went faster as the rpms weren't maxed out. wind resistance eats horsepower for lunch,your imaginary wind barrier is a bunch of crap :ride:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 04, 2005 - 06:31 AM

its got a 6 speed which is kinda weird.

Yes it is.. :applause:

• baha

Posted December 04, 2005 - 06:54 AM

no. you are wrong and he is wrong. there has never been a 6speed 4stroke WR.

top speed is governed by gearing............ not bike or HP {unless there is none}. most dirt bikes with fast gearing will do about 180km/h and no faster. you hit a wind barrier that you cant get past on an upright dirtbike.

im surprised you counted 6 gears. where you stoned? it has a 5 speed and that is only 4 shifts
- 1->2
- 2->3
- 3->4
- 4->5

im honestly surprised your not on here thinking it is a 4 speed!

I have read his post in the past--allof your worst fears are true :applause:

• Triumphs

Posted December 04, 2005 - 08:53 AM

Actually hp counts...a lot. Along with aerodynamics, rolling resistance, wheelspin, etc. Taller gearing will only allow a bike to go faster if it has the power to pull that taller ratio. You can gear a WR for 200 km/hr if you want but it will not do it. Johnny Campbell's Baja 650R racers pulls that top speed (125mph) with big power and correct gearing, and that's about as quick as any conventional "dirt" bike will go. Magazine articles done in the past took the fastest off road bikes (Open class MXers, thumpers, etc) and then geared them to the moon to observe top speeds, and generally 120mph is about it. Beyond that you need more power and/or better aerodynamics ...which is why the fastest production street bikes will nudge 200 mph, until they too run into the same problem! :applause:

• Just034

Posted December 04, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Stock gearing 2004 WR450 I top out in the mid 80's and can't get any faster than that.

• RCannon

Posted December 04, 2005 - 12:46 PM

Maybe its a six speed counting neutral???

• jonova

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:50 PM

I think he is talking about the super secret rare race version of the WR. They only made a six speed for those who gave them pounds of weed.

My WR that has motor work and 14/43 gearing will do 102mph. But I think that the 6 speed WR would do 155mph even faster than Johnney's bike.

6 speed WR

I'll eat my word if you give me proof and I'll give you 2K for you six speed gear box.

• Matty05

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:57 PM

how many mph is 180kmh? because i've done 125 mph on a modded xl600,i know because i was clocked by the po po :ride: and the only thing holding me back was hp; i could of went faster as the rpms weren't maxed out. wind resistance eats horsepower for lunch,your imaginary wind barrier is a bunch of crap :p

125 mph is 201 kph.
180 kph is 112 mph.
That's bloody quick on a dirt bike! :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 05, 2005 - 06:51 AM

125 mph is 201 kph.
180 kph is 112 mph.
That's bloody quick on a dirt bike! :ride:

i can't remeber the exact things we did to that bike ,but it had a supertrapp exhaust,some sort of baja cams that were being produced at the time (may have been crower,sounds familiar?) upped a point compression @ .030 over. airbox mods,and bigger carbs. i forget the exact gearing but 15/45 sounds familiar? well anyway we had some cam 2 race gas left over from the race car and filled'er up and hit the highway to see how much difference the fuel would make, well thats what it really needed! woke that puppy up.... i passed that cop and didn't see him (as my face was buried in the speedo) and when he finally did catch me (10 miles later),he actually let me go(after a verbal scolding) as he was a fellow dirtbiker and could not believe that a dirtbike could go so fast :applause: .....but i definately ran out of HP as the bike was still in enough control to go faster :p

• superxking24

Posted December 05, 2005 - 07:05 AM

i guess thats the way they came that year. the guy who soldit to me said thats what it was and i didn't bother counting when i was riding it (through town without helmet at night:bonk:) i was to busy watching for any thing that might jump in front of me and cops. i just went out for a speed run and came back to the house

U were going that fast at night without a helmet? Man, u got lucky cause if u hit a bump, u were done for.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.