XR650R Seat Solution ?? Help

18 replies to this topic
  • mtrhd101

Posted December 03, 2005 - 05:01 PM

I dual sport the 650R and find the seat very uncomfortable for anything over 50 miles.. That was the stock seat, OK now I buy a Guts Racing soft regular foam with a Baja Designs cover.. I'm not sure it's any better.. Then I order the Tall foam and cover and I don't think it's much better either.. I am using the Baja Designs cover on both and wonder if some of the problem is the Grip type material.. The stock seat cover without the grip type stuff seem better cause it doesn't pull on your clothes, it kinda lets you move around, I mean you have slid up an inch but your clothes have stayed behind.. Know what I mean ? It seems a bit narrow too and just plain hurts my *** .. I guess to I am spoiled cause I Dual sported an XR600 before the 650R and the stock seat was superb.. Can I do anything more to help ? Love the bike other than just being tired of dumping money into seats/foam trying to solve this problem.. I'm 5.10" 185 LBS.. if your thinking some real big guy is the problem it's not.. :applause:

• Husky_Forever

Posted December 03, 2005 - 05:39 PM

I always just rebuild my seats with 2" of foam and re cover. Works fine and is a real Cadillac when needed. :applause: Steny

• Fordskin

Posted December 03, 2005 - 06:58 PM

I did the same thing.XR650r. I just cut out 25mm off the top of the foam just in the area where you sit the most. Then i went down to the local foam dealer and ordered some grey foam [might be diff in US] just a grade or so softer and glued it in the cut out part. They had some samples to choose from.Then got an electric carving knife and carved the sides into shape. You would not know the diff with the cover on. I took it too an upholstery place to restaple the cover on. I still get a sore arse after a long road ride but nowhere as quick. :applause:

• ztsd

Posted December 03, 2005 - 08:01 PM

I’m working on this problem also, here’s some stuff I found...

Five Motorcycle Seat Comfort Pads Compared

===================================================
Posted Image
AirHawk
Posted Image
Butt Buffer
Posted Image
Day Long
Posted Image
Renazco
Posted Image
Rick Mayer

• Naru

Posted December 03, 2005 - 08:42 PM

I too have been looking into this for some time. I'm in the process of also getting a new seat for my V-Strom 1000 and my wife's BMW 1100GS, so I've spoken with most of the major custom seat makers. Ultimately, I've chosen to go with Renazco Racing (member 'bojangles' on Advrider forum) for my XR650R seat for a few reasons (1. He has done several dirt bike seats, and specializes in KTM 950 seats that are comfortable for full-day street riding but still thin enough between the legs for good off-roading, and 2. He is the cheapest, as he has special pricing for dirt bikes at $200 including custom color seat and fitment to your weight and preferences). Most other custom manufacturers are more touring / 'iron-butt' oriented, so their seats bulge out to the sides and compromise mobility for comfort; obviously they can build the seat normally, but they don't do those on a regular basis. Most also have, for lack of a better description and with a BMW-owning wife, prices that are 'adjusted' for the high end BMW and FJR/ST1300 crowd that they are normally dealing with, with does include the highest quality components and a custom fitting if you can make it to their shop, but cost roughly double what the Renazco does.

On a side note, I am getting two custom seats done by Rick Mayer for the two bikes listed above, especially because their shop is in Cali allowing you to ride in and have it custom fitted. :applause:

• ztsd

Posted April 13, 2006 - 09:11 PM

You might want to check out the Sweet Cheeks solution... What can ya loose. I'm gonna give it a shot.

• snaggleXR650

Posted April 14, 2006 - 04:39 AM

I sent an extra stock seat pan to Renazco Racing also. EVERYBODY I've read that sent seats there has been very happy. One 650R guy, on advrider.com, had tried the Tall seat foams, as well as the Moose and SDG seats. Finally he tried the Renazco and LOVES it.

Downside, he's not cheap, but not any higher than Corbin and others. Also, he's pretty much a one man show, so expect a couple month lead time. The good, he does custom, hand made quality seats, to YOUR specifications. I should be getting mine in around the end of May. I'll be putting up my own review when I get it in.

• gnarly sprockets

Posted April 14, 2006 - 05:08 AM

I did this. Cost me $54.

http://www.thumperta...ht=diy gel seat

• TimBrp

Posted April 14, 2006 - 07:35 AM

One of the biggest problems w/ this bike or any bike for that matter is the seat cover itself. I ordered up a soft std foam and a gutz gripper seat cover. No more monkey butt and the seat is nice and cush now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:57 AM

I wear bicycle shorts with a gel pad in them for longer rides...it helps. Good enough for me up to 200 miles.

• gaucho

Posted April 15, 2006 - 08:49 AM

Get an XR600 and you will be fine :thumbsup:

• MindBlower

Posted April 15, 2006 - 01:25 PM

I wear bicycle shorts with a gel pad in them for longer rides...it helps. Good enough for me up to 200 miles.

\
That's interesting, I didn't think they'd hit in the right places. I've got a pair here somewhere, I'll have to try them.

• Naru

Posted April 19, 2006 - 08:44 PM

I posted about this earlier, but here's the finished Renazco seat for my 650R. Firm but much more comfy on long rides, and enlarged slightly in the sitting area. Very, very pleased, and will definately have my next seat done by him as well. Highly recommended :thumbsup: http://www.renazco.com

PS - The suede covering is way comfy. Don't know how it will handle to UV, mud, etc, but my arse is loving it. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

• ztsd

Posted April 20, 2006 - 02:01 AM

Ohhh... Great looking seat! How much?

• Naru

Posted April 20, 2006 - 12:36 PM

The seat ran just under $300. It isn't cheap, and definately not for everyone. But damn is it worth it. Renazco is by far the best *dirt-oriented* seat customizer out there, and his price reflects that. I figure that I bought the bike used, so I'm taking the money I saved and getting myself something nice. Good thing the woman didn't find out. :thumbsup:

• ztsd

Posted April 21, 2006 - 04:55 AM

Thanks! I ordered the Sweet Cheeks and I’ll experiment with them. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll think about the custom seat... The Renazco seat sure looks great! Don’t forget to give a detailed seat review for us other poor shmucks...

• MindBlower

Posted April 21, 2006 - 08:48 AM

I posted about this earlier, but here's the finished Renazco seat for my 650R. Firm but much more comfy on long rides, and enlarged slightly in the sitting area. Very, very pleased, and will definately have my next seat done by him as well. Highly recommended :thumbsup: http://www.renazco.com

PS - The suede covering is way comfy. Don't know how it will handle to UV, mud, etc, but my arse is loving it. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Could you put a pic of it on the bike? Would like to see how it looks. Can you get a "normal" seat cover if so desired?

• Naru

Posted April 21, 2006 - 09:10 AM

I'll try and take pictures of the seat on the bike this weekend. Renazco also offers standard vinyl for $50 less if you don't wan't suede. I had originally planned on vinyl myself, but after several calls, Mr. Renazco convinced me to go with suede (and I'm glad he did).

I'll give a review on sunday. I'm going on a 100+ mile DS ride which will be the first decently long ride since install. Right now the seat material needs to break in a bit before I give my final opinion, but as is it is still excellent.

• Curvesurfer

Posted April 21, 2006 - 02:19 PM

I had my XR-R seat done by Renazco as well. I opted for vinyl. Dirt, mud, rain, water crossings and an inexperienced rider didn't seem like a good fit for suede.

It cost me $225 including shipping, which I thought was great for a custom built seat.

I've only tested it in the garage, and it seemed much better than stock, but I'll post additional feedback when I've put some miles on it.

As he modifies your stock seat, is a very small business, and is gaining a loyal following, expect a wait for him to be available and potentially some time without your seat.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.