WR450F Fuel Mileage

31 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 07, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Then &%$#@! is wrong with my bike, the last two rides I had to switch to reserve at 30 miles. I'm running a 168 main and a 45 pilot. Any one having the same mileage? I only wish I could get 30-40 mpg.

I'm assuming you're in SoCal... You should be running a 170main and a 48pilot. I've tried almost every combo of jets, the 170 and 48 is the best I've tried....

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 07, 2005 - 09:22 AM

Ya but, what about 15 miles/ gal.

Float is set too high in the bowl is most likely causing you to spill 10 mpg while riding! Lower your float to 9mm clearance a lttle larger than factory spec. :applause:

• yamageezer

Posted December 07, 2005 - 12:08 PM

Cool, thanks Indy, I'll give er a try tonight.

• yamageezer

Posted December 07, 2005 - 12:14 PM

I'm assuming you're in SoCal... You should be running a 170main and a 48pilot. I've tried almost every combo of jets, the 170 and 48 is the best I've tried....

No I'm in NoCal, I've tried that jetting but , I was running real fat, 2000-6000ft. I'm going to try what I suspected, and Indy's recommendation and check the float and go from there. You're probably right but, I have to get the float in check first then I'll go for jetting. Thanks for your input

• timvv51

Posted December 07, 2005 - 06:08 PM

LOL: Just 034. Give me a break. LOL I live in the panhandle and its only 250 miles to get to the Rockies.

• bobsktm

Posted December 17, 2005 - 06:16 AM

Just filled my bike @ store, pump #2. Rode 54.2 mi. my speedo only goes to 60, very seldom got below 60, end @ same store, same pump, parked @ same spot, filled 1.06 gal. of fuel. = 51.13 miles to the gal., with 14/50 gear,
175MJ. :applause: Hillcountry riding in Tx. 03 WR450

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brettmh

Posted February 17, 2007 - 02:04 PM

i get about 40-45 on the highway

• sheddy

Posted February 15, 2014 - 04:32 AM

Ok I know its an old thread but the more info the merrier. There are still plenty of these bikes about.

I have just aquired an 04 WR450f. Street legal here in New Zealand. I have just completed some basic milage testing in Kilometers. My bike has 9.8 litres capacity. 15 50 gearing for the first 80km of this trip. 15 45 for the balance.

The gearing change throws the numbers a little but this will give you the general idea.

129km to reserve, 166km to run out and another 3km by laying the bike onto its left side to get the last of the fuel to the fuel tap. At each fuel run out, the first symptom before loss of power was a few backfires before the final stumble.These were open road km with knobbly tyres.

Some mates and I are going to ride some of the high country trails in the South Island shortly. lots of gravel and shingle roads hence the knobbly tyres. if the pressure in the knobbly is around 15 Psi on the road it gets round corners like a rabid squirrel being chased by an angry dog lol. Ok so I know  Knobblys arnt made for 55mph on tar seal but the experience is interesting. Safari tanks and acerbis are really expensive here. I went to super cheap and got a 5l plastic jerry can and it fits well on the small rack I got from ebay for the bike. I also got some enduro panniers, Wolf man e-12 off amazon and they are just the ticket for carrying some basic essentials without getting in the way. Fitted this week so not on the pic.

Keep up the good work on Thumper talk guys. Us older fellas need good reading material. :thumbsup:20140125_133443 (Medium).jpg

Edited by sheddy, February 15, 2014 - 05:19 AM.

• mrgem

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:09 AM

My 2003 still has the stock tank (2.6 gal) and what I am reading here worries me. A typical riding day for us involves about 70 miles of everything from first gear rock/technical stuff to 65 mph fire roads. All is done at 7k to 13k feet ASL. 

My old DRZ400s have consistently delivered 40-50 mpg and also have a 2.6 gallon tank. I have no problem riding 100 miles on a tank -- even at speed. But it sounds as though after 50 miles on a WR - you should be looking to refuel. 

Has anyone tried carrying one of those small auxilliary tanks? If so, where did you mount it?

• sheddy

Posted February 15, 2014 - 02:12 PM

I use the 5l jerry can on that picture mounted fore aft, not as shown in the pic. This gives a theoretical range of 250kmor approx 156 miles. if your gearing is lower eg 14 50 for big pickup then of course results will be quite different. Total cost with the rack and the plastic can of just under $200 US. I think the WR range really drops when you go to the FI alloy frame and of course a smaller again tank. Up to the last of the steel frame its not too bad. DR400 is more economical but has a weight penalty and maybe slightly less power. I would have bought an acerbis long range tank but the cost becomes significant with international freight and duty.

• RMK800

Posted February 16, 2014 - 12:15 PM

I can go 75 miles before hitting reserve. Stock tank.

• RMK800

Posted February 16, 2014 - 01:04 PM

My 2003 still has the stock tank (2.6 gal) and what I am reading here worries me. A typical riding day for us involves about 70 miles of everything from first gear rock/technical stuff to 65 mph fire roads. All is done at 7k to 13k feet ASL.

My old DRZ400s have consistently delivered 40-50 mpg and also have a 2.6 gallon tank. I have no problem riding 100 miles on a tank -- even at speed. But it sounds as though after 50 miles on a WR - you should be looking to refuel.

Has anyone tried carrying one of those small auxilliary tanks? If so, where did you mount it?

You should be able to ride 70miles at that elevation without an issue. Closer to 80. That pretty much the same elevation I ride but a little lower starting out.

160mj,ncvs 3rd clip, 45 pilot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.