Unstable at 95-100kph

14 replies to this topic
  • Beejay

Posted December 03, 2005 - 02:51 PM

Guys I need some advice, I've got a 2006 WR450F recently, but at about 95-100kph the front starts to wobble/shake & feels unstable enough to make me slack off. :applause: I'm also getting some front wheel drift on tight low speed turns in the dirt. The front also suspension feels harsh, maybe I need to fiddle with it some, I weigh about 95kg's kitted.

• NYKTM

Posted December 03, 2005 - 03:00 PM

this gyro affect happens when you let off the gas after going over a whoop or up/down motion of the bike. It happened to me as well, just get back on the throttle quickly and don't let off. The same gyro affect will sometimes keep you tight in a turn and sometimes pick you right up and out of the line. You'll get used to it.

• BajaFool

Posted December 03, 2005 - 03:28 PM

Beejay,
Make sure that your fork legs are evenly slid up through the triple clamps. Also, the top of the fork legs should be even with the top of the uppermost triple clamp.

• minion

Posted December 03, 2005 - 07:14 PM

Guys I need some advice, I've got a 2006 WR450F recently, but at about 95-100kph the front starts to wobble/shake & feels unstable enough to make me slack off. :ride: I'm also getting some front wheel drift on tight low speed turns in the dirt. The front also suspension feels harsh, maybe I need to fiddle with it some, I weigh about 95kg's kitted.

You may need to check your shock fluid levels too. Unfortunately, a tear down of the shocks are required to do this, but its not hard to do.

I had a fork seal leak on me, really bad, so I had to redo mine. Turns out, the fluid levels and the clickers weren't correct for what the book said was stock. I put the clickers at 14, and made sure both shocks were at the same level (115 for me - 128 is stock). My front end feels way better now.

M. :applause:

• Doug kirkpatrick

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:44 AM

I had this problem on my 05 WR450 until about 500 miles. There seems to be a lot of stiction in the fork seal until they break in. Pump the forks of a WR in a show room and you will be amazed at how lousy they feel.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 04, 2005 - 06:32 AM

Check your spokes too..

• Beejay

Posted December 04, 2005 - 01:09 PM

Thanks guys, I doubt if the seals are faulty as its a new machine with only about 320miles on it. I'll check the fork legs in the triple. Maybe also play with the clickers after a few more hundred km's. What if I tighten the steering yoke bearings more, you think this will help?
What tyre pressure you guys running in front, I've just fitted an enduro tube(heavy duty) & I'm running on 100kpa.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:15 PM

I've just fitted an enduro tube(heavy duty) & I'm running on 100kpa.

100Kpa seems a bit high for offroading especially since you're running an enduro tire. I would run 89Kpa if I were you! It's our equivalent to 13PSI...

• Matty05

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:29 PM

Your forks are too soft, or your shock is too hard.
From what you say you are getting, I would back off the low speed comp / rebound 2 clicks and high speed comp 1/4 turn.

Your shock is transfering all the weight to the front of the bike. The stock front tyre is crappy too, but get your suspension right and it will improve. Your suspension is most likely not broken in yet, it takes time, or get a fat mate to go for a ride on it. It will seem to be a lot better.

I sometimes get headshake too, but keep them elbows up and it is a lot harder for the bike to wobble. Just to prove a point, if you have an old set of bars or someting laying around, hold them like you are riding but with your elbows down, get a mate to shake them like you are getting head shake. you will have no control. Next do the same with your elbows up and presto, your mate wont be able to move them!

• jonova

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:40 PM

Get a Scotts steering stabilizer and check the front end for some lose bolts. True your front wheel.

• WheelsUp

Posted December 04, 2005 - 06:32 PM

Beejay,
Make sure that your fork legs are evenly slid up through the triple clamps. Also, the top of the fork legs should be even with the top of the uppermost triple clamp.

Not according to Grayracer.... they seem to be coming from the dealerships set up like this, but they should be about 9mm above the clamp.

• minion

Posted December 04, 2005 - 06:32 PM

Thanks guys, I doubt if the seals are faulty as its a new machine with only about 320miles on it. I'll check the fork legs in the triple. Maybe also play with the clickers after a few more hundred km's. What if I tighten the steering yoke bearings more, you think this will help?
What tyre pressure you guys running in front, I've just fitted an enduro tube(heavy duty) & I'm running on 100kpa.

I had 230 miles on my bike when the seal blew... Bad... It didn't leak, it gushed. It was a defect in the piston metal's teflon coating... Just because its new doesn't mean its perfect... Nothing has changed from the 80s really - you buy a new bike, and then you spend a few weeks and a lot of money making it into what you want it to be.

M.

• minion

Posted December 04, 2005 - 06:35 PM

I had 230 miles on my bike when the seal blew... Bad... It didn't leak, it gushed. It was a defect in the piston metal's teflon coating... Just because its new doesn't mean its perfect... Nothing has changed from the 80s really - you buy a new bike, and then you spend a few weeks and a lot of money making it into what you want it to be.

M.

But my original point wasn't that your seals are bad... my point was that your fluid levels could be off. One side more than the other, or they could be way out of spec (mine were way to full). That'll cause front end issues as well.

M.

• Beejay

Posted December 04, 2005 - 07:04 PM

Okay looks like I need to check a few of these suggestions out this coming weekend.

Thanks again for all the input guys!

• RichBaker

Posted December 05, 2005 - 03:01 PM

Guys I need some advice, I've got a 2006 WR450F recently, but at about 95-100kph the front starts to wobble/shake & feels unstable enough to make me slack off. :ride: I'm also getting some front wheel drift on tight low speed turns in the dirt. The front also suspension feels harsh, maybe I need to fiddle with it some, I weigh about 95kg's kitted.

Try balancing the front wheel. I did my 03 WR and 90% of the vibes and stuff I was feeling were gone...3oz directly across from the rim lock(imagine that) did the trick. I used tape-a-weights and duct taped over it.
For the front wheel push, try moving up on the tank.... :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.