engine side covers scratch protection

33 replies to this topic
  • Raven1911

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:20 PM

Post a pick....lets see it....

• yamaharichey

Posted December 09, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I put a buffing wheel on one side of my two sided grinder, then use the buffing sticks you get at Home Depot, It takes me a few minutes to buff real shiney

• Butta

Posted December 09, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Nothing else to do in the winter time, so might as well spiffy up that bike. You gots to have pride in that there machine, you don't want someone to come over to check out that new moto weapon and say " Wow that thing looks like its five years old" You want them to say " Oh my heck, come here you guys and take a look at this YZ450! this thing looks brand new, how did you get it so shiney?, Oh my heck, look at that, he even buffed his hubs and look at those case's I could comb my hair in them. even the kick starter, and the shifter and even the brake lever, and check out the buffed alumimun gas cap, Oh my heck did you do all this yourself? show us how you did it please please oh please. Now which response would you rather have?
I rest my case. :applause:

Interesting rebuttle, but I could care less what someone coming over to look at my bike would think about it's cleanliness. I never have to answer the question: "Man, do you ever ride that thing???"

Now, my bikes are clean, and don't appear older than they are, but I draw a line. I feel bad enough wrecking and scratching my $6500+ dirtbike with stock plastic and graphics.....why make getting dirty any less satisfying? :ride:

Show me someone who oggles over buffed and polished aluminum on a dirtbike and I'll show you the definition of poser.......

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2005 - 09:38 AM

... " Oh my heck, come here you guys and take a look at this YZ450! this thing looks brand new, how did you get it so shiney?, Oh my heck, look at that, he even buffed his hubs and look at those case's I could comb my hair in them. even the kick starter, and the shifter and even the brake lever, and check out the buffed alumimun gas cap, ...

Yeah....I noticed it both times that I lapped it. Real slick.

My dirt bike is an implement that I use to accomplish a certain purpose. Like the rest of my tools, I keep it clean and in good condition. But I will spend no more time polishing it than I do my best ratchet.

• yamaharichey

Posted December 09, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Thats all fine and good for you guys that get to ride year round, but like I said when the high temp. for the day is 23 like today, and you've already installed all the after market goodies, there's nothing else to do with it but fondle it.

• shigbie

Posted December 09, 2005 - 06:05 PM

Yamaharichey is absolutely right. Remove all the caoting and as part of your regular maintenance, scotchbrite the cover using even parallel strokes and it will always look good.

• Raven1911

Posted December 09, 2005 - 08:51 PM

Since when is taking care of your bike and customizing it with polishing being a poser??? Is anyone that gets graphics, a new polished head pipe, or anodized rims a poser??? Its all about customizing and making it YOUR OWN bike. Its my bike and I can do what the hell I want with it and let my riding speak for itself. If you can pass me then all the power to ya but don't rag on me just because I customize my bike :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted December 09, 2005 - 09:09 PM

this is stupid to even add to..... go ride the friggin thang and foggeta about it...enough already...it aint no harley!

• mose29

Posted December 10, 2005 - 06:24 AM

Good grief!!!!!!!!! Im with raven.If a man likes to polish his bike when he cant ride whats wrong with that?Hey man go ahead and take pride in your machine theres nothing wrong with that.I think its a good idea.....

• Butta

Posted December 10, 2005 - 06:46 AM

Since when is taking care of your bike and customizing it with polishing being a poser??? Is anyone that gets graphics, a new polished head pipe, or anodized rims a poser??? Its all about customizing and making it YOUR OWN bike. Its my bike and I can do what the hell I want with it and let my riding speak for itself. If you can pass me then all the power to ya but don't rag on me just because I customize my bike :applause:

Strike a nerve, did I? Sorry, wasn't trying to do that. I suppose if the only time you can spend with your bike in the winter is polishing and buffing it, then I can kinda see your point on wanting to do it, but surely not during the riding season!!! I agree (once again) with Grey.....use it, abuse it, but ensure it's in perfect running order.

• CRFThumper

Posted December 10, 2005 - 10:04 AM

The guys that take great careand take pride in it are the guys that are getting top dollar for the bike come sell time!If you were in the market for a 3 yr old bike what would get your money first,a clapped out dull looking bike or one that has been taking care of,yes that means cleaning and polishing everything that you can?On my 03 450 I have all the goodies rims.hubs,pipe,protapers,clamps and more,and it SHINES like a new one! The older i get the more I like working and cleaning our bikes! I use to be fast now i just look good!LOL :applause: or I should say my bike looks good!

• Raven1911

Posted December 10, 2005 - 11:04 AM

I just don't like name calling. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all. I truly value opinions which is why I am a member here, but I try to post in forums that I have a valueable opinion in, not putting people down because I don't agree with them. :applause:

• Ga426owner

Posted December 10, 2005 - 06:22 PM

I just don't like name calling. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all. I truly value opinions which is why I am a member here, but I try to post in forums that I have a valueable opinion in, not putting people down because I don't agree with them. :ride:

no one is putting anyone down...some of us are polishers and some of us are not........I just do not see any reason to polish the clutch cover as it will always get rescratched.....for years I kept repainting the frame wear, it would wear from gripping with your legs..now I only do it before I sell it...because it wears off each time I ride... :applause:

• Raven1911

Posted December 10, 2005 - 11:32 PM

I see your point...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.