engine side covers scratch protection

33 replies to this topic
  • falshh

Posted December 03, 2005 - 12:52 PM

ANYBODY figure out a way or a engine cover that doesnt scratch up so easily?what about blasting the paint off the covers?

• Ga426owner

Posted December 03, 2005 - 01:11 PM

It is a dirt bike - it is gonna get scratched...........you can sandblast off the finish but that will get scratched too....

• boyonblue52

Posted December 06, 2005 - 05:15 PM

yeah i asked the same question just a bit ago and i thought of a few ways but its like not possible b/c yur boots and the mud is what makes the scratches so i kinda just gave up on the idea. Just have it powder covered or somthin after it gets worn out. My sugestion.

• big t

Posted December 06, 2005 - 05:55 PM

The only way you won't scratch is to not ride it but that is no fun. Besides it lets people know you do ride. :applause:

• yamaharichey

Posted December 06, 2005 - 05:59 PM

Take the covers off, then remove the paint with paint remover, then buff them to either a low luster or high gloss which ever you prefer, then just a quick touch up with a Scochbright pad or mag wheel polish once in a while and they will look great, Your welcome :applause:

• Satch0922

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:22 PM

Take the covers off, then remove the paint with paint remover, then buff them to either a low luster or high gloss which ever you prefer, then just a quick touch up with a Scochbright pad or mag wheel polish once in a while and they will look great, Your welcome :applause:

:ride:
Posted Image

• theclone

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:29 PM

:applause:
Posted Image

I like it :ride:

• Fleshgear

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:43 PM

I'd like to know who the engineer was who designed this part.
Whats wrong with aluminum. When you pay that much for a bike
and after the 1st ride its scratched up it looks like crap!

• Fleshgear

Posted December 06, 2005 - 06:44 PM

Is that cover the same for a Honda? Mine looks like a plastic cover?
2004 crf250r

• Raven1911

Posted December 07, 2005 - 04:58 AM

What did you buff them with.....a dremel tool and some polish? They look really good and seem to have a horizontal type buff to them. Looks like you buffed other things on your bike as well?? I would like to do the same. It looks like your cover is magnesium? Will this work with an aluminum cover? :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:19 AM

Hmmm....you guys have too much time on your hands!!! Spend less time buffing a machine that's meant for battling with the dirt and more time...uh, battling with the dirt.

Seems as practical to me as chrome rims on a John Deere......

• SCIENCE

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:38 AM

Hmmm....you guys have too much time on your hands!!! Spend less time buffing a machine that's meant for battling with the dirt and more time...uh, battling with the dirt.

Seems as practical to me as chrome rims on a John Deere......

Agreed! The Hondas are notorius for this. Nice gold/magnesium paint that gets scratched up after one ride. As nice as I prefer my stuff to be, this is unavoidable. And these are dirt bikes!
If you have to have it perfect, Lightspeed makes a CF Ignition cover (goes over stock cover) for the KXf & CRF. I assume that they'll produce one for the YZF. On the clutch side, buy a Hinson, SFB, Lightspeed CF, or Boyesen. All wear better (some allow for more oil), and you can put the unscratched stocker back on when you sell.

• SureBlue

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:39 AM

:applause: You said it Butta. It is a dirt bike...

• mjorgo

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:43 AM

M3 plastics have a product called RHINO plastic, its anti- scuff and anti- abrasive. Its used in Aussie to stop the graffity on bus shelters. I have usde it on the gear cases of my TT600 Belgard and my YZ 426 as well as my KTM 625 sxc. I actullay cover the entire plastics with the stuff, and use a hair dryer to help mold the stuff to the contuers of the plastic panels.

• yamaharichey

Posted December 07, 2005 - 10:34 AM

Nothing else to do in the winter time, so might as well spiffy up that bike. You gots to have pride in that there machine, you don't want someone to come over to check out that new moto weapon and say " Wow that thing looks like its five years old" You want them to say " Oh my heck, come here you guys and take a look at this YZ450! this thing looks brand new, how did you get it so shiney?, Oh my heck, look at that, he even buffed his hubs and look at those case's I could comb my hair in them. even the kick starter, and the shifter and even the brake lever, and check out the buffed alumimun gas cap, Oh my heck did you do all this yourself? show us how you did it please please oh please. Now which response would you rather have?
I rest my case. :applause:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted December 07, 2005 - 01:58 PM

How about, "Dang, look at that fast mofo on that beat up bike! Dang, that boy's quick!" But then again, who am I to talk? You should see my garage. . . :applause:

• Satch0922

Posted December 07, 2005 - 06:18 PM

What did you buff them with.....a dremel tool and some polish? They look really good and seem to have a horizontal type buff to them. Looks like you buffed other things on your bike as well?? I would like to do the same. It looks like your cover is magnesium? Will this work with an aluminum cover? :ride:

take the cover off the bike. Use aircraft paint stripper ( you can get it at an automotive paint store). Then you can used a scotchbrite pad or steel wool to get it bright....use any motion you want. Then you can use mother's aluminum polish to make it shine....(yes I know its magnesium).

The only thing you have to do to maintain it is use a scotchbrite pad on if after each ride/wash.

You guys that have to brag about how manly you are and brag about your big burly trashed out dirt bikes..... :p You probably wear HD t-shirts in public too... oooooohhhh cool :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2005 - 08:32 AM

You probably wear HD t-shirts in public too...

Naw, most of my t-shirts say stuff about motorcycles. :applause:

• SureBlue

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:01 AM

Naw, most of my t-shirts say stuff about motorcycles. :ride:

Careful, we don't want to upset the Angels, do we :applause:

• 02YZ426

Posted December 08, 2005 - 09:15 PM

I stripped the paint off my clutch cover and shined it up good. It took a fair bit of work to get the final result.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.