Ready for a bigger bike.

10 replies to this topic
  • RedRockRider

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:56 PM

Hi All,

I currently ride a CRF230. It's a good play bike. Suspension sucks though. I did the old school mods and I out ride the suspension quite a bit.

Here is my question. What would the differences be between the steel frame WR 450, and the Aluminum frame of the CRF450X? There is only a pound difference in the published dry weights of the bike.

What are the Suspensions Differences between the two?

Thanks for your replies. Or not I guess.

Let the bashing begin.

TJ

• minion

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:43 PM

Hi All,

I currently ride a CRF230. It's a good play bike. Suspension sucks though. I did the old school mods and I out ride the suspension quite a bit.

Here is my question. What would the differences be between the steel frame WR 450, and the Aluminum frame of the CRF450X? There is only a pound difference in the published dry weights of the bike.

What are the Suspensions Differences between the two?

Thanks for your replies. Or not I guess.

Let the bashing begin.

TJ

I'll be the first to jump in and say what I've read a lot of people say on here: Aluminum frames are more rigid, and aluminum doesn't bend, it just simply breaks. The weight difference is more noticed in motocross, and you'd probably be more happy with a steel frame bike than an aluminum frame one, because of longevity.

A lot of people here aren't looking forward to their beloved WR450s being made in an aluminum frame.

M.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:47 PM

The steel frame WR handles very nicely, I really don't see the big deal with Aluminum Frames but to each his own. If you are 200lbs or less the WR's stock suspension can be tuned for awesome offroad handling, if you are 210lbs or more you will probably need a heavier rear spring.

I have had two WR's now and will probably buy a third in 07', hopefully it has fuel injection.

I have not heard anything spectacular about the CRF450X, I have heard that the engine is more maintenance intensive.

Either bike should keep you happy for a while but I personally recommend the WR :applause:

• WildRide

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:59 PM

There is not a huge difference in weight between an aluminum frame and a steel frame. The reason is you need more aluminum (larger cross section and thicker wall) to equal the strength of steel tube.

• patrickincc

Posted December 03, 2005 - 09:31 AM

go with the WR

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:22 AM

aluminum frames are very ridgid,(not exactly what most people want from an offroad bike)why do you think yamaha spent so much time and effort trying to make the aluminum bike handle "just as well as the old steel frame" that and honda's track record for motor problems would be enough to make me go blue :applause: in 05 they changed the WR frame for a lower CofG and for 06 they went with the air oil seperate forks, the 06 wr is a vast improvement in handling over the older ones.

• baha

Posted December 05, 2005 - 07:57 AM

Go to the CRF-X Forum and read what they are dealing with and compare to this Forum

• Matty05

Posted December 05, 2005 - 03:27 PM

wait till next year and get the new '07 wr450. No point getting old style when new is just around the corner. Your resale value will go down heaps when the new ones come out.

Just look at the new YZ450's Nice...... Don't you want your bike to look like that?

• minion

Posted December 05, 2005 - 06:06 PM

aluminum frames are very ridgid,(not exactly what most people want from an offroad bike)why do you think yamaha spent so much time and effort trying to make the aluminum bike handle "just as well as the old steel frame" that and honda's track record for motor problems would be enough to make me go blue :applause: in 05 they changed the WR frame for a lower CofG and for 06 they went with the air oil seperate forks, the 06 wr is a vast improvement in handling over the older ones.

What do you mean "air oil seperate forks"? I'm not drawing a good picture of how that'd work internally.

M.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 05, 2005 - 06:19 PM

its the 05 yz stuff,its much like the showa's. supposedly for 06 the yz stuff has surpassed the showa's :applause: the wr's are always a year behind the yz's.

• Bamster

Posted December 05, 2005 - 08:26 PM

I was on a 2 day ride in September ,80 some rider in all.
8 were on CRFX's out of those 8 ,2 put their brake pedals through the case.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.