KTM 525exc \vS/ YAM WR450F

34 replies to this topic
  • jentzschman

Posted September 26, 2012 - 09:21 PM

This is a 7 year old thread! Jeesh!
Maniac

I find it funny how people are complete bitches when one does not search something out. Then, when they do and ask a question within a thread about something they are wondering, they still get bitched out!!! WT-EFF! is up with forums and this kind of attitude!?

Guess I could have started a whole new thread though... :thumbsup:

Edited by jentzschman, September 26, 2012 - 09:21 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted September 27, 2012 - 01:32 AM

I'll have to admit, you've got a good point there! My bad!! :thumbsup: I can't speak as to whether or not the WR can run with the KTM or not, but the WR can do all that most people need. Almost everyone will agree that the WR would be even better with a six speed tranny though.M
Maniac

• GlennR

Posted September 27, 2012 - 04:41 AM

Is this true?

Maybe. ;)

• Baja trail Rider

Posted September 27, 2012 - 07:20 AM

For someone that rides every week my three ex bikes- 525s and 200 ktm.I would have had to stop riding.WR450 thats the bike

• jentzschman

Posted September 27, 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'll have to admit, you've got a good point there! My bad!! :thumbsup: I can't speak as to whether or not the WR can run with the KTM or not, but the WR can do all that most people need. Almost everyone will agree that the WR would be even better with a six speed tranny though.M
Maniac

Sorry to sound like a dick. I just hear people ask: "Why did you not search" " Here let me search that for you" etc.... So I flipped my top when I heard it again....

• n16ht5

Posted September 27, 2012 - 07:58 AM

For someone that rides every week my three ex bikes- 525s and 200 ktm.I would have had to stop riding.WR450 thats the bike

why is the 525 your ex bike?

just curious..

I rode my friends KTM 525 and it was a torque monster. I wish my WR had that bottom line oompf. I only rode it for a minute so I couldn't really gather anything beside that

• GlennR

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:28 AM

I keep looking at the KTM300 2-stroke. 220 lbs sounds really good for the stuff that I keep getting into around here. Rocky & steep. Every pound counts when things get tough, pushing & pulling and dodging boulders, etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted September 27, 2012 - 11:18 AM

I keep looking at the KTM300 2-stroke. 220 lbs sounds really good for the stuff that I keep getting into around here. Rocky & steep. Every pound counts when things get tough, pushing & pulling and dodging boulders, etc.

have you rode a trials bike? I want a Montessa 315

• Rocky739

Posted September 27, 2012 - 06:32 PM

Ha if I need a trials bike for a trail I will just take my MTB for a walk in the woods! Can't imagine not having a place to sit all day..

• Baja trail Rider

Posted September 28, 2012 - 07:37 AM

The 525 is my ex bike because in baja we ride every week,all off road easy to do 125-200 miles a day.Simply put they fall apart,things break way to fast.Loose alot of riding time,and to tow back (Some places had to leave bike for weeks)This is not just me but when a bunch of us ride.Its the orange bike that get towed.Small mods the 525 is not faster or have more low end than my 450s.My Ktm 2 stroke had far less problems than my 525s but.Still did not last like a Cr two stroke not even close.In 6 months from new KTM I had lots of problems replacement parts needed.My 07450 till today 1 clutch cable-1 chain buffer,even valves still in spec.

• n16ht5

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:07 AM

wow that's good to know.. glad I got the WR. I bet he had his geared really low that gave the impression of lots of torque... I run 16/48 tall.

• MANIAC998

Posted September 28, 2012 - 04:25 PM

K T M (Kan't Take Mexico) :lol:

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I have an 04 WR and my buddy has an 08 525 - we ride all the time and the KTM with 6 speed will out run the 450 on the upper end and it does start to pull me a little bit after 60-65. With that said its almost dead even up thru 1-4th gears.

I have ridden it and the they are both good bikes, neither one has more bottom then the other, I'd say they are even.

We also do week long rides will all our stuff on the bike, and they are both up to the task.

Both great bikes.

The KTM might be a little more maintenance- has 2 oil filters, and some times parts are more expensive.. So cost of ownership might be a little more.

I have 3 Yamahas in my garage, I've also owned 2 hondas and 1 KTM. I wouldnt hesitate to buy either.

Good luck.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:03 AM

KTM (Kan't Take Mexico) priceless Im thinking of what buddy of mine that rides a KTM that did not have problems here.Still thinking!

• Chas_M

Posted September 30, 2012 - 08:42 AM

I almost have to laugh when I hear about the so-called preponderance of KTM problems. Most of my riding buddies ride KTM's. I can verify for a fact that while not entirely problem free that they are super dependable. I just recently sold my '04 KTM 525 (540) EXC after 14,000+ miles and 650 hours on it. The bike has been problem free, other than normal maintenance, since I bought it new in Dec 2003. Note that one of the reasons I bought the Beta is that it came with the highly desirable, reliable KTM RFS engine. My '02 KTM 520 EXC, which I sold to a friend some years back, is still problem free after 25,000+ miles. Other bikes include KTM 300's and many KTM 450/525 EXC and MXC's. I shouldn't leave out a certain '02 KTM 520 (576) EXC with 50,000+ miles on it and still going strong. Howard says that he will never sell the bike. None of these bikes have suffered any serious problems other than normal maintenance and normal wear items.

Edited by Chas_M, September 30, 2012 - 12:45 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.