KTM 525exc \vS/ YAM WR450F

34 replies to this topic
  • rock_spitter 101

Posted December 02, 2005 - 02:02 PM

ive just bought an 05 suzuki drz400s allready street legal i hate it its powerless. top speed is only 155kmh full throttle "she was screaming". i boought it cuz it was a dirt bike already made for the road, but is not enough for me i NEED more. i figure a 100% dirt bike and a dual sport kit is a better way to go.

im going to be tradeing it in for either a wr450 or exe525. im wondering which has more torque to get that front wheel up off the ground and pulling power to get up those cliffs. also top speed geared stock because that always can be changed but u loose ur power for highway cruseing.

probably buying one of the 2 next month so plzz give ur input much apretiated..

or any other bikes i should be looking at let me know

INDY ur opinion plzz i see you are very respected here and i see u have a WR450f thx

• ncmountainman

Posted December 02, 2005 - 02:48 PM

actually indy has one of each :applause:

• glf22

Posted December 02, 2005 - 03:24 PM

I just got a 2004 WR450 which is stock except for an FMF pipe and went riding with a buddy of mine that has a 2005 525EXC a couple of weeks ago. My WR defintely has more bottom end pull over the 525. However, the 525 seems to rev higher and pulls longer. My WR as it is right now levels out pretty quick and does not pull as hard as the 525 at higher RMS. Once I do grey wire and air box mods I think the WR will out perform the 525. I like both bikes and I do not think that you will regret either one.

• ARin

Posted December 02, 2005 - 04:08 PM

Both are excellent bikes, with a lot of low end. but if you are looking for a bike that will spend a lot of time on the street, they both may need to be geared UP a little...

the wr450 is screaming at mid-80 mph with stock gearing. a higher gearing will allow it to cruise better.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 02, 2005 - 04:35 PM

If you are buying new, (or even used), the EXC will be more likely to come with a plate for street, atleast thats the way it is here in WA state. For whatever reason, (something to do with their designation on the import papers), you can role your EXC off of the show room floor with a license plate on it but no, no, no,........ not on a WR :applause:

Anyway, I love WR's but have also ridden the 525 EXC and if I had to choose between the two for dual sporting I would definitely take the KTM. They are both exceptional bikes in my opinion but the KTM is going to cost more up front I am sure.

Good Luck! :ride:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 02, 2005 - 04:45 PM

actually indy has one of each :applause:

Yea they are both great bikes. :p :p :lol:

Hill climbing and nasty rocky low speed terrain the WR450 wins hands down!
High speed is the KTM's turf! I love the 6 speed gearbox. I shift into 6th and if I am going less than 60 mph it will be lugging and near stalling. My KTM can easliy go 102 mph in the sand and 112 mph on the street! The WR is finished at about 90 mph!
It really depends what you want most! Both bikes are fantastic but they are very different! The WR likes to be short shifted and grunted along like riding a trials bike on the trails. The KTM really has a broad powerband that begs to be used completely before shifting! I shift a lot less on the KTM on the same trails! The KTM has the ability to get a 575 kit for her and super motard hard parts from KTM to go for a street type set up! :p Hope this helps. :ride:

• Chas_M

Posted December 02, 2005 - 06:14 PM

Both are excellent high powered, reliable bikes. They both work well at slower grunting speeds and have plenty of power for regular trail riding. The three big advantages of the KTM 525 EXC are: 1) Wide ratio 6 speed tranny, 2) More torque, and 3) Easier to street license. :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 02, 2005 - 07:33 PM

My 525 has no bottom end grunt? :applause: Just smooth gentle power that keeps building evenly. ( more like a YZ450) :ride:

• Chas_M

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:43 PM

My 525 has no bottom end grunt? :applause: Just smooth gentle power that keeps building evenly. ( more like a YZ450) :ride:

The 525 has massive bottom end grunt, and yes it has "smooth gentle power that keeps building evenly" but not like a YZ450. I would say that the 525 is better at hillclimbing and nasty rocky low speed terrain than the WR450. Remember that we are talking about the wide ratio 6 speed EXC tranny and not the close ratio MXC tranny.

• holyroller1

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:58 PM

"not the close ratio MXC tranny."

You really think the WR has a close ratio tranny?

EDIT - don't pay any attention to me. Drunk poster. Posting when you are drunk is like calling someone you love when you're drunk. DON't DO IT!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:02 PM

"not the close ratio MXC tranny."

You really think the WR has a close ratio tranny?

I think he is comparing the EXC tranny to Indy's MXC :applause:

• holyroller1

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:05 PM

One is a five gear the other a six. Just because one has an extra gear does not make it a "close ratio." :applause:

I would NEVER consider my WR a close ratio. Now my YZ, that's a different story.

EDIT - Nevermind, foot in mouth syndrome.

• holyroller1

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:18 PM

I think he is comparing the EXC tranny to Indy's MXC :applause:

Man, I shouldn't drink and post. Little too much Vodka.

Doh!!!

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 03, 2005 - 12:03 AM

The MXC has the same transmission as the EXC with the exception of a taller first gear and a lower 6th gear. The rest of the gears are the same ratio. It is really not a true close ratio gearbox. I can change front sprockets and ride a wide variety from woods to open trails. Gearing does not really change the bottom end grunt. Maybe the new WR's are much more mellow than the 03/04 WR cams. :applause:

• Chas_M

Posted December 03, 2005 - 07:51 AM

The only gear set the EXC and MXC trannies have in common is 4th gear. The spread between all the gears in the EXC are considerably wider than in the MXC tranny.

• Triumphs

Posted December 04, 2005 - 08:30 AM

im going to be tradeing it in for either a wr450 or exe525. im wondering which has more torque to get that front wheel up off the ground and pulling power to get up those cliffs. also top speed geared stock because that always can be changed but u loose ur power for highway cruseing.

To be fair, the 450EXC is the equivalent to the WR450. You are comparing two different classes of bikes. The KTM is a genuine open class enduro of the type the Japanese manufacturers refuse to produce. If you really need more power and legs then either 450, then yes, the 525 is the way to go. With more power, torque, a six speed and another 15 mph or so top speed if that is important. The WR has the power to pull higher gearing (at the expense of low speed first gear running) but is limited by it's five speed. But anything less then that and the WR is a genuine option.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:21 PM

I elect Triumphs as President... With him here my words are redundant. Again, I agree with him.....

It takes the extra 75cc's and a whole lotta gearing to keep up with my WR. Still, it's close on the top end. The KTM450, no contest... Says a lot for the little 5 valve Yamaha.

• jonova

Posted December 04, 2005 - 05:38 PM

I ride a WR426 that has some motor work done and I can say that it is faster in a drag race against a KTM525 but not nearly as stable at speed. The WR is faster in tight trails but lacks top speed.

I have been riding the WR for nearly 3 years and love the bike. I just raced the Baja 1000 on an 06 XC 525 with the 540 kit and the bike rips!!! It is harder to ride in tight stuff but in the faster stuff the bike is incredible.

If it were a perect world I would have both like Indy. The WR for the trails and the KTM for the long fast rides.

My two cents. Good luck.... I don't think that you can lose with either bike.

• jentzschman

Posted September 26, 2012 - 09:11 AM

I just got a 2004 WR450 which is stock except for an FMF pipe and went riding with a buddy of mine that has a 2005 525EXC a couple of weeks ago. My WR defintely has more bottom end pull over the 525. However, the 525 seems to rev higher and pulls longer. My WR as it is right now levels out pretty quick and does not pull as hard as the 525 at higher RMS. Once I do grey wire and air box mods I think the WR will out perform the 525. I like both bikes and I do not think that you will regret either one.

Is this true?

Edited by jentzschman, September 26, 2012 - 09:11 AM.

• MANIAC998

Posted September 26, 2012 - 02:39 PM

This is a 7 year old thread! Jeesh!
Maniac

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.