Oil Changed with left over copper washer

7 replies to this topic
  • NewBee

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:22 AM

This time I changed my oil, when I was finished, I emptied the old oil from the oil pan and discovered an 8mm copper washer.
I have already had the engine running and topped up the oil, but discovered no leaks.
Can someone tell me where this washer may belong?
I'm thinking one of 2 places, Oil drain bolt left side crankcase or oil drain bolt for oil filter.

HELP!!!!

Can I still use the bike til my next change or will I have to drain the oil and put this washer back on before I ride? Keep in mind that I am getting her ready to be put up for the winter.

:applause:

• Stinson

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:29 AM

if it were me I would put it back on....chances are it wont leak but my luck it would. Thats where the seal takes place. Yes that should be the oil drain bolt plug copper washer. Its also nice to replace these from time to time. They are copper crush washers. Cya Stinson

• bandit99

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:35 AM

It is only a little over a quart of oil. Put the washer back on. $5-$7 and a little time is nothing compared to losing oil and burinig up the engine.

• NewBee

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the quick responses. I think your right and I will drain the oil again and put the wash back on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tony1970

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:49 AM

Turn your gas off and lay the bike on its side. Depending on where the washer belongs it should help keep the oil in the bike while you put the gasket on. I did the same thing on my wifes ttr. I only discovered it after we went for a ride and saw a slight leak at the drain bolt. Found the gasket on the garage floor the next day. :applause: Good luck.

• NewBee

Posted December 02, 2005 - 12:15 PM

Hey thats a good idea Tony, but i'm wondering if gas will leak out cause when I have went down on the side of the bike from time to time I did have fuel leak out. If I shut off the fuel will I still get some from the float?

• RichBaker

Posted December 02, 2005 - 12:31 PM

Just drain the carb into a glass and dump it in the tank before you start....

• tshe1

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:23 PM

This time I changed my oil, when I was finished, I emptied the old oil from the oil pan and discovered an 8mm copper washer.
I have already had the engine running and topped up the oil, but discovered no leaks.
Can someone tell me where this washer may belong?
I'm thinking one of 2 places, Oil drain bolt left side crankcase or oil drain bolt for oil filter.

HELP!!!!

Can I still use the bike til my next change or will I have to drain the oil and put this washer back on before I ride? Keep in mind that I am getting her ready to be put up for the winter.

:applause:

i believe the washer is from the frame drain bolt.
it is recommended to put it back, by brain just the frame oil.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.