Beginner bike: PW50 or CRF50?

25 replies to this topic
  • a_gunslinger

Posted December 02, 2005 - 06:57 AM

Getting my 5 yr old a beginner bike for Xmas. Honda or Yammie 50? I know the new 50 has that joyous elec start but Im not so concerned about that. I would like the best long term power - something he wont grow out of quite so fat (like my 8 yr old who grew out of the Yammy PW80 way to fast).

Thoughts?

• markmon007

Posted December 02, 2005 - 07:05 AM

the crf50 is way nicer. The pw is way low on power and the honda has more acceries you can buy as well.

• Fryboy

Posted December 02, 2005 - 07:11 AM

My daughter started riding at 5 y/o on a crf50. I highly recommend the bike. It has been painfree for almost 2 years now. I love it! The bike can be modded and hopped up as she grows into it more. I think this bike will be in my family
forever. Find a fiddy and you won't be sorry.

• Over40_DRZ

Posted December 02, 2005 - 07:37 AM

The Honda 50 is bullet proof, why do think so many adults buy them. :applause:

• vmaxcbr900wr426

Posted December 02, 2005 - 07:42 AM

I've got both along with an XR70. As others have said, get the XR50. It is a way better built bike for the money.

If you just have to have a Yamaha, there's the new TTR50 with E-start.

• mavbike

Posted December 02, 2005 - 07:55 AM

Started my Daughter on a Honda 50 when she was five. She is 8 now and still rides it. I chose the Honda because I could set the throttle limiter and let her just ride in 2nd gear when she was learning. Now she trail rides with the adults. She has 1st gear to walk up hills or work her way through difficult stuff on the trail and 3rd gear is fast enough for a decent trail pace in the open areas. It took some work to teach her how to shift,,but it was worth it. One bike to learn on and still be able to trail ride with the adults after she learned how to ride. (I also picked up a Suzuki JR50 because it was a really good deal. The JR50 has trouble pulling up big hills. On the Honda, she can just put it in first and walk with her feet as she climbs the hill,,this was a big confidence booster for her.)
Also before her first real trail ride,,I took the stock tires off the bike and put better tires on it. They were cheap and they really helped with the bike sliding around in leaves, pinestraw, and loose dirt.

Just my 2 cents!! Hope it helps?

• oldturtle

Posted December 02, 2005 - 08:02 AM

I am a die hard Honda nut about just about anything motorcycle related except when it comes to selecting the very best bike for the kids. I will never let my Honda loyalty get in the way of buying the best bike for the kids. The PW50 is much lighter and much lower than the Honda. The PW50 has extremely mellow power band for children to learn on. The PW50 has both a throttle stop and an exhaust pipe restricter that can be used for learning. The PW50 with oil injection and shaft drive is absolutely bullet proof.
So if your main priority is to get the very best bike for the kids to learn on, the choice is obvious, buy the Yamaha PW50. If your main priority is to have the foundation for a tricked out pit bike, placing potential personal benefit ahead of the certain benefit to the kids, then look at the Honda.
Your 5 year old will certainly be riding the Yamaha sooner, easier, and much more often then the Honda.

• ulmanb

Posted December 02, 2005 - 08:25 AM

if you are considering the pw50, I have a email address for someone who has a 2003 for $800 with training wheels in near mint condition. He also has a 1997 in good condition for $600. I am not sure where in ohio you are, but this guy is around detroit mi.

Send me a pm and I will get you his address.

• SidewinderX

Posted December 02, 2005 - 08:40 AM

The absolute easiest beginner bike would be the PW50 but he will outgrow it in about a year. The Honda will require him to learn more riding fundamentals but it will last him 2.5 - 3 yrs.

They are both pretty bulletproof as far as reliability goes.

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 02, 2005 - 08:50 AM

We felt the CRF50 would grow with the kid for a couple of seasons. You might look at the ttr50 also, electric start is a nice option.

• internetguy

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:23 AM

Good question and I like Old Turtle's response; it's pretty close to the feedback I'd offer.

I just bought a PW50 for my 5 year old girl and a CRF70 for my 8 year old son. Turned out to be really good selections for them both. The throttle lock, mellow power band and very low seat height is perfect for my daughter. You'll probably want to remove the exhaust restrictor or it loads up too much. The throttle lock is a really good thing too because some kids don't have any throttle control, especially a kid about 5.

The CRF70 was a good pick for our 8 year old son because he fits that bike better.

Don't sweat the kick start thing, both of my kids have learned to kick start their bikes; it's not a big deal and a good thing to learn.

It's hard to go wrong with either choice you're contemplating, but for a little one, the PW50 has really worked out well for us.

Hope this helps.

Cheers-

Neil.

• GAMBLER

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:06 AM

Yamaha TTR50E is a bit heavier which means more stability for the little guys
also, electric start makes it easy for them

• ulmanb

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:25 AM

just about any name brand 50 you buy should have a very good resale. I was in the same boat, pw50 or crf50. I am starting smaller to make it as easy as possible for them. I got a good price on a used pw50 and figure I should be able to resell it 3 yrs from now for roughly the same price. Around here used 50's go for nearly as much as a new one even when thebikes are 5 or 6 yrs old.

• vmaxcbr900wr426

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:08 AM

Since I have both, here's the additional information I should have added in my first post.

The things I don't like about the PW50 are:

1. It free wheels when you let off the gas which is scary for little kids on hills.
2. Rear brake is on the left handlebar where the clutch is on a regular bike.
3. Stop/Run/Start switch sucks and kills the bike with any presence of water
4. Top speed is fast even with the throttle screw in the bike limiting power.
5. Not as well made as the XR50.

The reason I like the XR50 better is:

1. 3 speed transmission so you can limit the top speed by letting a beginner ride around in 2nd.
2. Engine braking makes downhills easier.
3. Same throttle limiting screw as the PW50.
4. Better suspension.
5. Key to disable the bike.
6. Much better build quality.
7. Better size for a 5-8 year old.
8. Teaches shifting.
9. Tons of hop ups for the bike as the child grows.

• SidewinderX

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:20 AM

Since I have both, here's the additional information I should have added in my first post.

1. It free wheels when you let off the gas which is scary for little kids on hills.

1. 3 speed transmission so you can limit the top speed by letting a beginner ride around in 2nd.
4. Better suspension.
8. Teaches shifting.

That sums it up. :applause:

• 2wheels-drz

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:32 AM

get a pw50,,,,,,,thats what i started on!!!

• abcdcbc

Posted December 02, 2005 - 12:25 PM

The crf is way better bike and everything. Lets see, if your kid gets used to just holding it pinned no good. so if u get the crf it is shift, so u can teach him to ride in 1st gear, then teach him how to shift.

• a_gunslinger

Posted December 02, 2005 - 03:47 PM

4. Better suspension.
8. Teaches shifting.

you stated XR50 and Im talking CRF50 - same thing? Thanks!

• a_gunslinger

Posted December 02, 2005 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Opinion definitely slanted towared red. That might be good because my dealer is going to give me th 06 red 50 at cost (because he has all my other moeny from the several bikes I bought from him and other buyers I sent his way). :applause:

• LostTrail

Posted December 02, 2005 - 04:27 PM

Were talking TTr50 not PW50, the pw50 is horrible! Get the Crf50 he will be the happiest kid in town.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.