Hot Cams camshaft? Any good?

13 replies to this topic
  • Outrider

Posted December 01, 2005 - 11:05 PM

Can anyone tell me if the Hot Cams camshaft is worth installing for Supermoto and trail riding? I am waiting for my Edelbrock carb at the moment. What are the pros and cons of a aftermarket cam? I know you lose the Decomp and is that bad? I know I needed it a few times after tip-overs.

P.S I ride the XR650R

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 02, 2005 - 05:44 AM

With the Edelbrock the problem after tip overs will not exist. The bike will start first or second kick with no drill necessary. You do not lose the manual decompresser with the Hotcam only the auto-decompresser built into the stock cam. I have run the Hotcam stage one for 4 years with no problems whatsoever. I like the cams performance and so does everyone who has ridden my bike.

• bork

Posted December 02, 2005 - 06:11 AM

I dont have a 650 but my 600 r I took of stock auto-decomp and find it is easier to start by finding tdc faster & easier . Just pull in manuel comp with about 2" travel on kickstarter after tdc & release man-decomp lever & kick . Broooom. And yes the QS does start way better/easier. (especially hot ) My cold routine needs work though.

• xrmoto

Posted December 02, 2005 - 03:06 PM

I have just rebuilt my 650r from a complete strip down to replace a few gears. While it was apart i ported my head ( used to build ford cosworth and lotus twincams race engines for a living) installed a wiseco 11.1 piston, Hotcam stage 1 cam and also a Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb.
After turning the fuel on from a dry carb, the old girl fired on the 2nd and 3rd kit and run on the 4th. The first time i took the bike out for a gentle spin i noticed how much more smoother it felt. Dont know whether it was the cam or carb or a combination of both. Hav'nt opened it right up yet, but it seems to have loads more bottom end and pulls realy strong midrange. Will give you more info after i get it dynoed on the 16th December.

Darren

• benito

Posted December 02, 2005 - 03:20 PM

i put a set of hot cams stage 1 on my drz 400 and i noticed a little more bottom end without sacraficing top end. for trail riding they are great

• HondaXR650L

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:51 PM

HondaXR650R just got one for his bike, with the Edelbrock and he loves it. He would post this himself, but he is out riding. :applause:

• Ramcc4x4

Posted December 05, 2005 - 12:53 PM

For those that have installed the Hotcams in their XR650R, did you have to drain the coolant for the install? The service manual says to drain the coolant, but I'm thinking that's for the complete removal of the cylinder head. I just want to be sure I have everything I need before attempting the cam install.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • neduro

Posted December 05, 2005 - 01:33 PM

I bought a stage 1 for my 650R, which got an 11:1 piston and headwork at the same time... and I'm taking it out. The power is more linear and doesn't fall off up top as soon... but it seems to rob a lot of low end power from what I can tell.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 05, 2005 - 02:10 PM

I bought a stage 1 for my 650R, which got an 11:1 piston and headwork at the same time... and I'm taking it out. The power is more linear and doesn't fall off up top as soon... but it seems to rob a lot of low end power from what I can tell.

Maybe it has something to do with your piston kit and headwork. I have more power across the power band from top to bottom on my bike. Specially in the mid range.

• khelton

Posted December 05, 2005 - 02:23 PM

That seems strange, cam may have hurt low end a little but headwork and pistonshouldn't have....

• Ramcc4x4

Posted December 05, 2005 - 03:12 PM

The cylinder head work can be responsible for a loss in bottom end power, especially depending on how much the ports were enlarged and if it was done properly. The increased compression with the 11:1 piston would be a performance improvement throughout the entire rpm range.

• Outrider

Posted December 05, 2005 - 03:45 PM

Well, my carb is on it's way and the cam will be here soon. I will be rebuilding the top end and possibly replacing the crank bearings while the engine is out. How much is the high comp piston and are there any disadvantages for this modification? I am a trail and street supermoto rider, no racing, just wheelies.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 05, 2005 - 05:26 PM

Well, my carb is on it's way and the cam will be here soon. I will be rebuilding the top end and possibly replacing the crank bearings while the engine is out. How much is the high comp piston and are there any disadvantages for this modification? I am a trail and street supermoto rider, no racing, just wheelies.

The higher compression piston may force you to use race fuel. I know that was what the Honda shop told me when I inquired about using Honda's high compression piston and valves.

Honda has a hop up kit that cost another $1,000 or so. It includes the piston, cam, valves and springs. I know you do not have to install the whole kit but if you do plan on using the more expensive race fuels.

• Outrider

Posted December 05, 2005 - 05:54 PM

Ahh I see. What is the current comp and what would 11.1 do?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.