Exhaust valve stuck open

2 replies to this topic
  • ballzy

Posted December 01, 2005 - 07:36 PM

I recently experienced a loss of compression on my '98 WR400. After removing the head I found that the lifter was sticking and causing the exhaust valve to be stuck open. (Same valve used by the decompression trigger). The lifter after a fight to remove it was found to have a small red dot on the under side. Could anyone let me know of the significance of this dot, the bike shop told me they could only get hold of blue or yellow ones, are these going to be ok to use?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darth

Posted December 02, 2005 - 02:52 PM

You prob washed the bike and let it sit right? Sometimes water gets in the decomp plug and rusts and then the valve sticks. You can use the yellow buckets, they are the biggest and best fitting.

• odlaw19

Posted December 04, 2005 - 10:06 PM

Shim could be dislodged under lifter. Make sure it is sitting correctly. Check valve clearance before putting everything back together.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.