ESeries is too loud

24 replies to this topic
  • jim1234

Posted December 03, 2005 - 08:37 AM

It's not the weight for me. It's the ability to adj. the sound level. I can get the bike legal and still pick up some power. I've ran the stock exhaust and wide open it makes good power, is not legal in my area to ride. I'm trying to get the most power without going over 96db.

• GrayGhost

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:27 AM

Old Man, its the power to weight ratio that works, drop enough weight and you gain power, and your 10lb and 5Hp, well with the mods to the bike with pollution crap removed and a few other savings along the way including a lighter exhaust, and you got your 10lbs, and if you find a pipe that adds 15.5%(which would be 5hp) horse power gains let me know, I have looked at the dynos from whites, FMF, and a couple of others, NONE including the independant test I have seen, show the stock silencer as being a good breather, can't be, air volume in must match air volume out, and stock It doesn't after any air box and carb mods. But it is quiet. Just a trade of power for noise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:53 AM

Old Man, its the power to weight ratio that works, drop enough weight and you gain power, and your 10lb and 5Hp, well with the mods to the bike with pollution crap removed and a few other savings along the way including a lighter exhaust, and you got your 10lbs, and if you find a pipe that adds 15.5%(which would be 5hp) horse power gains let me know, I have looked at the dynos from whites, FMF, and a couple of others, NONE including the independant test I have seen, show the stock silencer as being a good breather, can't be, air volume in must match air volume out, and stock It doesn't after any air box and carb mods. But it is quiet. Just a trade of power for noise.

First of all not all states sell the CA models with all the polution stuff. Washington bikes are not CA models. So you not losing much when you go to a after market silencer.

As far as the dyno tests you speak of I don't know anything about them. I read reports in the dirt bike magazines through the years and I have followed threads with those whom I supposed were in the know. They indicated that many of the after market silencers do not alter the hp output more than the stock pipe. Or at best very little.

Since thumper talk no longer has those postings of years past I cannot appeal to the threads for the information. The magazines I read have long ago been thrown out. But I am sure that many on this list read the same dirt bike magazines through the years. I am aware that some exhaust sytems: meaning after market pipes and silencer are capable of greater out put but the expense is also considerable.

I prefer seat of the pants tests myself and since I have never ridden a XR650R with an aftermarket system installed to compare I have no direct knowledge of the difference if any. My comments are based on things I have read both on Thumper Talk past threads and Dirt bike magazines. If that is not so I would love to see the actual differences in HP between an after market silencer and the stock silencer with the power up kit installed properly. Preferebly an unbiased test and not the actual manufacturers tests.

In the end, seat of the pants is the only real test that matters. Sometimes I wonder if guys think they are going faster just because they are hearing more noise. I certainly would try a aftermarket exhaust if I received it as a gift. Anyone feeling generous? :applause:

• GrayGhost

Posted December 03, 2005 - 12:52 PM

Old Man, I have been in 6 different states, NM, Colorado, TX, OK, Wis, Utah, bike shops this year, and bike shops in every state and every 650L Has the same smog pump system on them, california has additional controls I believe but involves the venting. Read the first post that started this thread, We are talking about the "L" not the R.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 03, 2005 - 02:00 PM

Old Man, I have been in 6 different states, NM, Colorado, TX, OK, Wis, Utah, bike shops this year, and bike shops in every state and every 650L Has the same smog pump system on them, california has additional controls I believe but involves the venting. Read the first post that started this thread, We are talking about the "L" not the R.

Sorry, I forgot about that. I was talking R not L and the thread is about the L.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.