Maxxis tires or something else

23 replies to this topic
  • SteveWR450F

Posted December 01, 2005 - 03:31 PM

Its time for both my bike (04 WR 450) and son (02 TTR 225) to get new tires. We ride in the Oregon, mainly on government trails. Most of our riding boils to going thru mud, slick clay and rocky hillclimbs and descents.

I have heard alot of good praise for Maxxis tires. Was thinking of running a Maxxis SI on the front with the IT tire on the back. My front end tends to wash out a little so was hoping the SI will help and the IT tire on the back wont get as chewed up by the rocks as the softer tire would.

Last night, I read a review in Dirt Rider about the IT tire. Basically, they said it was a good tire for the money but once it wears down it has a tendency to dig in and spin when momentum is lost.

I realize their is no perfect tire. Always a trade off between performance and tire wear. However, I wanted to get some more feedback on tires before I purchased anything. Before Maxxis, I was leaning towards running Dunlops.

So given the conditions I ride in, can anyone please give me some input.

Thanks for your time.

• bluethundaaaa

Posted December 01, 2005 - 03:35 PM

I use the Maxxis IT on the front and rear. I ride mostly rocky, rooted, muddy trails and they worked very well in those conditions and lasted a lot longer then the stock Dunlops that were on it. I am sure there are better tires out there but for the money I am sticking with Maxxis. :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 01, 2005 - 03:52 PM

Maxxis SI front is awesome in all conditions ( Best traction I have ever had from a front tire)! but will crack and lose stability at the base of the side knobs (dangerous cornering) after 400 miles of rocks! Thats ok for me I just keep an eye on them and change them before they get dangerous! IT rear is a great choice and will last as long as the front if not more. The SI rear wears out like an eraser on a 4 hour engineering exam :applause:

• clark4131

Posted December 01, 2005 - 04:23 PM

SI front, IT rear here in Northern Nevada. Lots of rocks, granite & silica sands, plus plenty of woods-type terrain at the higher elevations in the trees. Not a whole lot of mud, but what we do have is handled great by this tire combo. I'm sold on 'em...SC

• 642MX

Posted December 01, 2005 - 05:45 PM

Maxxis is probably the longest wearing tire I've used, but not near the best gripping tire. I currently run the Dunlop 952's and they seem okay, they wear good, and stick good, but I think the sidewall may flex a little too much. I've had 2 flats this year with the 952's, but its probably not Dunlops fault. My favorite tire is the Dunlop 756's. Nothing compares as far as grip goes, but it also wears at an accelerated rate. I got 3 days from a rear 756 at the Loretta Lynns Fall Ride (Hurricane Mills, TN)this year, we only rode about 35 miles a day. It performed well, but didn't last long in the rocks. Good luck in your choice, there are definitely too many tires to choose from now days.

• SteveWR450F

Posted December 01, 2005 - 07:15 PM

Thanks guys. Their definately are a lot of choices to pick from. I think I will try a set of Maxxis tires and go from there.

Steve

• clark4131

Posted December 01, 2005 - 08:03 PM

Motosport Outlet and Chaparral have some good prices...SC

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 01, 2005 - 08:38 PM

Diito on the comments on the Maxxis SI/IT's. I have one full year of racing and riding on my Maxxis IT's and am just now looking at replacing them. Santa has them on order.

Indy and 642MX, we need to get together and ride soon!

• minion

Posted December 01, 2005 - 09:01 PM

Diito on the comments on the Maxxis SI/IT's. I have one full year of racing and riding on my Maxxis IT's and am just now looking at replacing them. Santa has them on order.

Count me in! I don't have enough friends with bikes these days to get the riding in that I want. I'm up in Fort Wayne, where are you located?

M.

• NuckingFuts

Posted December 01, 2005 - 10:44 PM

IT's in the front and back yard. Dig'em!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted December 02, 2005 - 01:33 AM

and I heard Maxxis is made by Chen Shin

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 02, 2005 - 03:40 AM

Count me in! I don't have enough friends with bikes these days to get the riding in that I want. I'm up in Fort Wayne, where are you located?

M.

I am in Indy of course and 00YZ426FMRCD is in Evansville, IN
I spend most of the summer riding in the UP of Michigan skipping all the whoops in the lower peninsula! That would be closer for you to enjoy a great weeend of riding! :applause: Fall thru spring I ride south in KY,TN, NC GA, AL, AR, MO anything within an 8 hour drive from Indy. I really dont ride in Indiana. :ride:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 02, 2005 - 03:41 AM

and I heard Maxxis is made by Chen Shin

That is true but the Maxxis line off road product quality is above their reputation. :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 02, 2005 - 03:44 AM

We should do a weekend LBL ride now that the season is dying down and there will be a lot less chance of a head on! Or I can get us on to private property down by Alabama that has some good trails. :applause:

• Bamster

Posted December 02, 2005 - 06:32 AM

Another :applause: for SI front IT rear.

• WGP

Posted December 02, 2005 - 07:41 AM

Some guys in So. Nevada are recommending the Kenda Carlsbad tires, super cheap, last long, and hook-up great.
I've been racing with Maxxis It Desert, the do chunk after a while, they lose there grip when worn (just like Dirtrider article), and they dig holes on hills :applause:
Probably worth a shot for 37$ each.

• minion

Posted December 02, 2005 - 07:52 AM

I am in Indy of course and 00YZ426FMRCD is in Evansville, IN
I spend most of the summer riding in the UP of Michigan skipping all the whoops in the lower peninsula! That would be closer for you to enjoy a great weeend of riding! :applause: Fall thru spring I ride south in KY,TN, NC GA, AL, AR, MO anything within an 8 hour drive from Indy. I really dont ride in Indiana. :p

Yeah, our DNR people don't realize the revenue they're missing out on, by not selling us a yearly sticker to ride in Indiana parks. :ride:

Did you happen to see my pics I posted of my ride in Colorado last Sept? I didn't get a whole lot of pics, but here they are: http://www.madsquirrel.com/redcone

I'd be up for a KY or MI ride.. I like the other places quite a bit (have considered moving to GA ), but thats a bit of a drive for me.

M.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:25 AM

Red Cone is rocky and High altitude. It usually has snow until July! Didnt see any snow in your pics. :ride:
Where else did you ride in Colorado? :applause:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 02, 2005 - 04:25 PM

We should do a weekend LBL ride now that the season is dying down and there will be a lot less chance of a head on! Or I can get us on to private property down by Alabama that has some good trails. :applause:

Indy,

I am in on either an LBL ride, the private land in Alabama or any ride anywhere I can make it. Private land is always good and free. Just let me know in advance and I will plan on it. We can hookup with Minion and 642MX and anyone else who wants to join. Everyone I know here in Evansville mainly rides MX which is fine but my real passion is the woods. Especially with fellow TT,ers!

Keep in touch guys, have a great holiday season and let me know when the next ride is! :ride:

• 642MX

Posted December 02, 2005 - 04:43 PM

Indy,

I am in on either an LBL ride, the private land in Alabama or any ride anywhere I can make it. Private land is always good and free. Just let me know in advance and I will plan on it. We can hookup with Minion and 642MX and anyone else who wants to join. Everyone I know here in Evansville mainly rides MX which is fine but my real passion is the woods. Especially with fellow TT,ers!

Keep in touch guys, have a great holiday season and let me know when the next ride is! :applause:

Thats crazy, I'm in Evansville too. I'm just north of the airport. I like a mix of trails and MX too. There isn't that many great places to ride around here, so most of the time we go to Casey, IL and ride. Let me know if you guys plan something.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.