How do you keep the mud flap from getting torn off? xr5650r

12 replies to this topic
  • kehale

Posted December 01, 2005 - 12:18 PM

Using the Terraflex 140 rear...it's HUGE!

Is there a trick to keeping the mud flap attached?
I have stock gearing

• TimBrp

Posted December 01, 2005 - 12:38 PM

No, not that I'm aware of. It's gonna get torn up. You could get a long chain and set the wheel back farther....however a $10 mudflap vs. good handling manners...you weigh the odds.

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 02, 2005 - 08:59 AM

Use 14/47 gearing and that keeps the tire off the flap but I use a 120 rear tire.

• Supplicate

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:30 AM

if you're worried more about the mud/dirt on the shock vs. the stock mudflap, pick up a Shock Sock and you'll be covered even if the mudflap rips off :applause:

• TimBrp

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:38 AM

Supplicate-you know the brand of shockwears that fit our Xr's?

• Supplicate

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:46 AM

Supplicate-you know the brand of shockwears that fit our Xr's?

no I don't.

I haven't purchased one as of yet, been looking and trying to find the exact one that fits. It was one of those "So someone else is bitching about this problem, here's the solution I thought of." suggestions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:10 AM

Well I was thinking the best bet would be to buy the ones that fit the Polaris sport quad front shocks. They're larger than most and would probably be the best bet. I tried to get my local guy to order some for me but we couldn't find a good matching size. Cleaning the spring up is a pain in the rear.

• Supplicate

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Well I was thinking the best bet would be to buy the ones that fit the Polaris sport quad front shocks. They're larger than most and would probably be the best bet.

I may have to take a trip to the local Polaris Dealership, they keep those in stock most of the time and I'm sure he would let me borrow one for a couple hours to check fitment.

Cleaning the spring up is a pain in the rear.

my feelings exactly.

• TimBrp

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:40 AM

Cool, let us know what you come up with. The fitment problem was always length not width with the covers. The polaris front shocks are very long.

• Naru

Posted December 03, 2005 - 09:23 PM

I have black shockwears on both of my XR650R's. I picked them up out of either Parts Unlimited or White Brothers at the local dealer, can't remember which. But they were in the motorcycle section (not the ATV parts area), and were listed as a universal fit for full-sized bikes. Fit perfect on the 650R. Just make sure to face the vent holes forward. :applause:

• BRP27

Posted December 07, 2005 - 10:51 AM

I put a sock on the rear shock from http://www.outerwear...g.com/index.taf

• TimBrp

Posted December 07, 2005 - 11:48 AM

Thanks guys!

• kehale

Posted December 07, 2005 - 01:21 PM

If it gets ripped off...i'm puttin a sock on it :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.