Let hear some more 06 YZF450 ride reports!

9 replies to this topic
  • 59xfish

Posted November 30, 2005 - 10:57 PM

For those lucky enough to have them already please share the riding experience. :applause:

• yzkid

Posted November 30, 2005 - 11:18 PM

Riding mine tomorrow ill give u guys a ride report with some pics :applause:

• yzkid

Posted December 01, 2005 - 02:06 PM

Well i got my 450 today and all i can say after rinding it a bit is WOW so much smoother than the previous years its incredible the bike is soo small almost looks like a 250f the gearing is even better i was thinking of changing the back sprocket to a 47-48 but after riding it the 49 is just right in my opinion. For all u guys still waitting dont worry u will b happy its well worth the wait. Now the snow is comming and i have to look at it in my garage for the next 4 months. Comming from a 426 its night and day if i ride it on the track tomorrow ill give u all a full ride report

http://img.photobuck...20/DSC_0035.jpg

http://img.photobuck...20/DSC_0012.jpg

http://img.photobuck...20/DSC_0031.jpg

• Jasons

Posted December 01, 2005 - 02:50 PM

I picked up my 06 450 last Friday. I tore it down greased it up and rode it on Sunday to break it in. A little background so you have a reference. I used to race local pro. Now I am probably intermediate speed if I were to race. I am 195lbs and 6' tall. I am coming off of an 04 yamaha 450, and an 02 CRF 450 before that and I also ride an 05 KTM 525 offroad. I revalved my 04 and had it working very well, the motor is stock.

My inital impression of the 06.

It feels lighter pretty much everywhere, more so in the air. It is the most 2 stroke 450 I have ridden as far as response and flickability. I have ridden an 06 CRF and it feld good but the YZ felt lighter to me.

The motor is strong and smooth. Pulls from zero to the limiter. The 5 speed requires more shifts, but you never have to compromise on what gear to use. If you want snap out of a corner use 2nd, if you want smooth use 3rd. The 06 Honda I rode impressed me with its snap off idle but the YZ felt a touch stronger yet smoother at the same time. Don't get me wrong the bike will rip hard if you want it to. Compared to the 04 it has better bottom, pulls cleaner and stronger, coupled with the same linear pull to the rev limiter (but a bit more). Also, it really feels like it hooks up.

I have always felt the older YZ's handled better than the Hondas, which is why I switched back to the YZ after trying a honda. Better front end stick and neutral handling, though the 06 honda is very close. The "top heavy feel" was there but it didn't slow me down. Really unless you jump back and forth between bikes it is a non issue. The new bike loses the top heavy feel and really does feel a lot lighter, kind of like a 250F and still turns like a yamaha (even with the crap front tire). Any turning issues you have heard about are due to setup and the tire. Very nice. A few of the reviews I have read complain that it feels different than the hondkawazuki and it does, and that they need to get used to it. This shouldn't be held against a bike if it works. It is a different bike after all.

I had read that people thought the suspension was stiff. To me the suspension is very plush. I almost thought it was too soft, but it never bottomed. Holes that jarred me on the 04 felt much better. In the whoops it felt a little bouncy, but I really didn't adjust it much because the suspension is still breaking in and the bike still went straight. It just felt like the wheels moved more than I am used to. For my weight the shock had 25mm free sag with 100mm of sag (it is a 5.5 and I usually run a 5.6). I will probably be able to stick with the stock springs, a first for me. Overall it felt better than my modified 04 that I like.

The brakes are strong pretty much on par with the KTM brakes(the best out there). A steel braided line will probably make them even better yet. I am a bit picky about brakes.

What does it need?
1. Taller bar risers
2. Tall seat
3. Steel braided brake line.
4. O-ring chain(put it on before I rode).
5. Big footpegs(cause I like them)
6. Possibly a little more lsc on the stacks(need some testing with the clickers first)

As you can see the list is mostly "make the bike fit me" stuff that I do to all of my bikes because they are set up for a 5'8" person from the factory.

The bike is very good. Probably the best stock bike I have ridden, but I won't know until I get more time on it.

Sorry for the long post.

Jason

• BlindSide

Posted December 01, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Nice write-up from someone who know's what they're talking about for once, bravo! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 59xfish

Posted December 01, 2005 - 10:34 PM

The bike sounds awesome. Thanks for the post. Any more would be appreciated.
Thanks and keep em coming.

• letmein

Posted December 02, 2005 - 04:45 PM

I rode a new 2006 YZ450F a couple weeks ago at Elsinore motocross. It is very easy to start but I did have to change the main jet to a 170 (from 165) to get rid of a bog. The bike has very smooth power and power everywhere. After I changed the jetting it runs great. As far as the suspension goes, it is not as good as my Honda. I am only comparing it to my CRF450R, which took zero adjustment from the first ride, it was jetted perfectly and the suspension is awesome on the Honda.

I got a little surprised a couple of times over some jumps, because of the suspension, but got used to the harsher feel of it after a few laps. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike and with time I might even like it as much as my Honda. In fact I can honestly say it feels a lot like a Honda, the brakes, the frame, the starting, the power and no more top heavy feel.

Again, this is my honest opinion from a C+/B- rider. I am sure if you are fast you would like the suspension or if you are older and weigh a lot more than me... so the suspension might be perfect.

• ripntear

Posted December 02, 2005 - 05:36 PM

I rode a new 2006 YZ450F a couple weeks ago at Elsinore motocross. It is very easy to start but I did have to change the main jet to a 170 (from 165) to get rid of a bog. The bike has very smooth power and power everywhere. After I changed the jetting it runs great. As far as the suspension goes, it is not as good as my Honda. I am only comparing it to my CRF450R, which took zero adjustment from the first ride, it was jetted perfectly and the suspension is awesome on the Honda.

I got a little surprised a couple of times over some jumps, because of the suspension, but got used to the harsher feel of it after a few laps. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike and with time I might even like it as much as my Honda. In fact I can honestly say it feels a lot like a Honda, the brakes, the frame, the starting, the power and no more top heavy feel.

Again, this is my honest opinion from a C+/B- rider. I am sure if you are fast you would like the suspension or if you are older and weigh a lot more than me... so the suspension might be perfect.

I'm confused! Are you saying you own the YZ450 and the CR or just rode it once? Have you ever owned a YZ450? Sounds like you are in love w/your valve eater.

• letmein

Posted December 02, 2005 - 05:47 PM

I'm confused! Are you saying you own the YZ450 and the CR or just rode it once? Have you ever owned a YZ450? Sounds like you are in love w/your valve eater.

Yep, love my valve eater. I put in Stainless Steel valves when I first got the bike and all I do is ride. Not exactly true, I do have to kick it once when it is cold to get it started. I have a ton of hours (about 400) on the engine without a single problem, once I did change the intake valves to stainless steel. I have replaced the piston once on the POS Honda. Yes, scarcasm at its best.

I would seriously consider the YZ if and when I buy a new bike, if they are willing to make a deal. Honda does not deal because they sell all the bikes they make, because everyone loves to replace valves and loves how "user friendly" they are :applause:

• johntt4

Posted December 02, 2005 - 06:06 PM

He probably is in love with it. Why not ? It's a great bike. If the new Yz450f is as good as the CRF, that would be great, right ? Sounds like your in love with your top heavy dinosaur.(not the 2006) :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.