locking up crank when doing valve adjust..

7 replies to this topic
  • yogist

Posted November 30, 2005 - 07:19 PM

Is there any way to lock up the crank when doing valve adjustments ??
I just did my first adjustment on my 01 426 and that was my only concern when working on it...

• Ticeman

Posted November 30, 2005 - 07:24 PM

Why lock the crank up?

• yogist

Posted November 30, 2005 - 07:25 PM

So you dont lose your timing mark??

• Ticeman

Posted November 30, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Shouldn't be a problem, just turn it back to the mark if it goes off of it. I always leave my t-handle on the nut and notice the position on the t handle. If the motor turns, I turn it back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yogist

Posted November 30, 2005 - 07:32 PM

I had an idea of an aluminum threaded rod ,with a piece of rubber on the end which would press up against the rotor and hold it still whilst working on it..
Threaded into the timing mark sight hole and pressed up against the rotor...
( just kinda thikin out loud)... I did my first valve adjust this weekend, and it seemed like there would be a way to hold it still....

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2005 - 08:39 AM

It just really isn't necessary. :applause:

• 426n520

Posted December 01, 2005 - 05:54 PM

Is it normal for lots of oil to pour out of the hole (bolt to turn crank)?

• WheelsUp

Posted December 01, 2005 - 06:17 PM

If the engine has not been run in a couple of days, yes... all of your oil is in the crankcase.
If the engine has been run within the last few hours, most of the oil will be in the frame and very little (or none) will come out of the hole.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.