Chain replacement

5 replies to this topic
  • Ramcc4x4

Posted November 30, 2005 - 10:05 AM

My original chain and sprockets need replacement. I bought new sprockets and a DID 520 X ring chain. The new chain is supposed to be riveted. Is it possible for me to just buy a master link and run it on this chain so I don't have to spend $$$ on a riveting tool? Will I sacrifice any strength? I don't want to end up stranded or experience engine case damage.

Thanks!

• TimBrp

Posted November 30, 2005 - 10:33 AM

I have the same chain with a masterlink. No issues to date. Watch the master link for wear as it will rub the chain guide/guard underneath the swingarm. I change the c-clip out once a year for good measure. Is a riveted chain stronger, not necessarilly. Is the link that holds the chain together stronger, yes. Use the masterlink, you'll be fine. Get a kiwi case saver if case damage worries you.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted November 30, 2005 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info! I'll pick up a few master links on the way home tonight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted November 30, 2005 - 11:25 AM

Make sure they're the right size. Get an X-ring master link! Better yet bring the one you have and match em' up.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted December 01, 2005 - 08:28 AM

does anyone even make a case saver for the 650L ?

• TimBrp

Posted December 01, 2005 - 09:29 AM

Check out Xr's Only Happy, they might.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.