Front fork torque specs -

4 replies to this topic
  • klmmicro

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:01 PM

My friend loosened the triple clamps on his XR650L to lower it and is wondering what the torque specs are for the clamping the fork tubes. Anyone care to share the numbers?

• Xr650rhonda

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:21 PM

My friend loosened the triple clamps on his XR650L to lower it and is wondering what the torque specs are for the clamping the fork tubes. Anyone care to share the numbers?

In my Clymer 1979-2002 Xl/Xr650 book it says 20 ft-lbs for the upper and 24 ft-lbs for the lower . I would not use any form of extension due to the fact it changes the valve and I have the formula for that if you need it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • klmmicro

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the numbers. He just raised the tubes about an inch in the tree is all. When he went to tighten them down he called me to ask for the specs...hehehe, I had no idea.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:29 PM

how bout he make em as tight as they were when he took em off.

• klmmicro

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:42 PM

Dang, I could not help myself and clicked "view post". Maybe you will learn something here, and I enjoyed the teenager take on mechanicing.

As to your post: just how tight was that? How would you measure your "just as tight as they were"?

I am a mechanic. I can usually hand tighten things pretty close to a spec, but in order to know "how tight they were before", I have to know how tight they were before. Torque specs are written to tell me how tight that was, and a torque wrench is used so I know I am actually getting things "that tight".

Know your specs and use the right tool to get things into spec. There is a reason that the engineers created those specs.'

Now, back to the block-hole!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.