Thinking of going yellow, and not the aniversary edition

38 replies to this topic
  • ovrrdrive

Posted December 01, 2005 - 08:37 AM

I've always bought our bikes from Mike at Rock River Powersports and have been thoroughly satisfied with them. Not only that, but going by what I have seen on the forums I get my bikes below cost from him.

If you ride on private land and don't plan on selling the bike you don't even have to get the title for it or pay the sales tax.

Email him and see what he can do for you.

Mike Duclos : mike@rockriverpowersports.com

• Joe_Jet

Posted December 01, 2005 - 09:55 AM

Dude: Go with the RMZ. I had my heart set on the YZ, but just couldn't do it after the mixed reviews on the YZ250F and 450Fand seeing the bikes side by side. The RMZ feels like the YZF motor in a better chassis. I earned contingency in my first race on the RMZ at Glen Helen. I got 2nd racing the same guys I usually finish 6th or 7th against at that track on the YZF!

I can do a cam chain tension adjust, filter and oil change faster on the RMZ than a filter and oil on the YZF!

Sorry blue guys. I have my tricked out YZF for sale.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 01, 2005 - 10:04 AM

Look, as good as the new YZ450F may be...no bike is worth putting you into debt. If you can find a price on a YZ450F that is reasonable and wont kill you financially, then get it! If not, dont worry about it. The '05 RMZ450 is an awesome bike with a smooth (but fast) power delivery and its the only four-stroke to handle more like a two-stroke.

Really, you cant go wrong either way. Just watch that manual cam chain tensioner.

• ovrrdrive

Posted December 01, 2005 - 12:26 PM

Some people, including myself, have no problem with finacing bikes. It's a luxury item for me and I like to have recent, reliable equipment and don't want to drop $10k in one day out of my savings.

I can't understand why some people finance gas, but people do it everyday. :applause:

• Reyndogg

Posted December 01, 2005 - 12:31 PM

I may use my yamaha card for the 12 months at 2.9% becuase right now the money i could use is making more than than 2.9% interest for me ... i will pay it off the 12th month if i do that, however.

• jeff_wsu

Posted December 01, 2005 - 06:37 PM

My buddy has an RMZ and it is one sweet bike. I have really never been a Suzuki fan only because my buddies have owned a ton of them (all 2 strokes) and they all have had major issues, but the RMZ may have changed my mind. The power is excellent if you're not a revver, and the handeling is excellent as well. He has had zero issues with it and he rides the hell out of it. The only thing about the 05 that's a bummer is the hot start being down by the carb, but an after market hot start lever on the bars will fix that.

Good luck with any decision and ride on! :applause:

• ripntear

Posted December 01, 2005 - 06:59 PM

I may use my yamaha card for the 12 months at 2.9% becuase right now the money i could use is making more than than 2.9% interest for me ... i will pay it off the 12th month if i do that, however.

I'm with you on this one. I have a 3.9% for the life of the loan check, and I am making more than that on my funds. I'll use someone else's cash when I buy.

• falshh

Posted December 01, 2005 - 09:17 PM

You cant go wront with any of the 06 450s.I seriously considered getting the rmz450, it is a great bike , but I just cant stand the color yellow on a bike, but you have an advantage of buying the 05s at a big discounted price.I ended up getting a 06kx450 and hands down the best bike I have ever riden, kawi put a lot of money into it.
There are a lot of die hard yamaha guys here that dog all the other brands, but yamaha took 8 years to finally get a bike that could turn, and suzuki and kawasaki figured it out one there first production year of the 450!! dont get me wrong I love yamaha and have one also that Im not going to sell, but if you can get a rmz for a smokin price you cant go wrong.I think you should think again about the kawi though.WOW its a awsome bike.even if it turns out to have bad valve setup, that can easily be fixed the first rebuild, by switching to stainless valves and springs, and this will take the rebuild frequency on a 450 from 30 hours (per yamaha manual) to 100 hours.
The kawasaki 250 had a very aggresive cam profile on a valve train that had soft springs so that could easily be remidied on the first rebuild and make it reliable, remember the recommended frequency for rebuild on a 250 is every 15 hours per most manafacturers.Anyway good luck with your desicion get the bike you can get the best deal on.

• falshh

Posted December 01, 2005 - 09:19 PM

If you plan on financing you can get a kawi for 0 down $59 a month and 5.6%interest for the first 2 years., after that its 10% and a 2% of loan payment, if you havnt paid it off yet. This is financing through kawasaki through dec 31

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe_Jet

Posted December 01, 2005 - 09:48 PM

Have you ridden your YZF after riding the KX 450 on a track yet? The Zook felt a little weird to me at first, but now the YZ feels weird. I took my 04 YZ450 to Starwest yesterday after having raced my 06 RMZ 450 last Sun and it felt like the pegs were moved really far back on the YZF. I can still rail ruts on the YZ though. I think the seating position on the RMZ places your weight farther forward. On hardpack you just turn, but in the soft you have to consciously slide back to turn. The YZF is the opposite, you have to almost get on the tank to turn on hardpack, but stay in the normal riding position in soft turns. I've never noticed this much of a difference switching between CRF's and YZF's?

• falshh

Posted December 02, 2005 - 05:12 PM

to be honest I cant give a good comparision yet I havnt had a really good ride on the kawi yet the weather has been terrible around here, I cant wait to get on it, I anticipate especially in turning the bike will be different and take a while to get used to it, especially when going back and forth.

• chadapotamus

Posted December 03, 2005 - 01:01 AM

Well I talked to my buddy at the local dealer today and he said he could probably get me the YZ for like $7250 which is getting better, but still not great.

My girlfriend is like "That price is better than Chaparral, just get the one you want".

But I still can't get around the RMZ being like 2 grand cheaper. That's alot of tires, suspension, extra money for repair costs and other goodies to set the bike up, Hmmm...... I'm thinking that I'll more than likely go for the zook, this is just a hard desicion for me. It's alot of money, and I don't want to regret my desicion. If I had my way I'd get both! I was also considering a Honda, but I found out the prices aren't much better than the new YZ anyways.

Anyone know much about credit?
I'll be putting about $3500 down and financing the rest. One of my goals with getting a new bike is to build up my credit alittle bit.
Is financing around 2 grand for say, 2 years enough to build up my credit much?
With the YZ I'll be financing around 4 grand for more like 3 years which will probably build more credit, but I don't really like the idea of being that much in debt.

Thanks for all the responses though guys, it's been really helpful.

• falshh

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:12 AM

sounds like you really want the yz more than the rmz or you would have a zook in your garage by now.When you spend that kind of cash you should get what you really want, so Im sure youl love your new yamaha!! :applause:

• wmdspalmer

Posted December 03, 2005 - 05:26 PM

I was in your spot about 6 months ago and about got a new CRF. I called around until my last call was to a dealer that had a left over model. Saved me 2 Grand as well and i am so glad that i did it. I sold a CR to get my RMZ and love it. I really like the way they handle and the power is great!. Difference in the year model is probably not enough to make a major difference unless your RC or Bubba. Good luck with your decision.

Will

• uprightchicken

Posted December 12, 2005 - 12:23 AM

Lets see here................this site is called ThumperTalk.com right? Does the name Doug Henry ring any bells? Brand Loyalty follows Brand Superiority. :applause:

• SCIENCE

Posted December 12, 2005 - 06:16 AM

Well I talked to my buddy at the local dealer today and he said he could probably get me the YZ for like $7250 which is getting better, but still not great.

My girlfriend is like "That price is better than Chaparral, just get the one you want".

But I still can't get around the RMZ being like 2 grand cheaper. That's alot of tires, suspension, extra money for repair costs and other goodies to set the bike up, Hmmm...... I'm thinking that I'll more than likely go for the zook, this is just a hard desicion for me. It's alot of money, and I don't want to regret my desicion. If I had my way I'd get both! I was also considering a Honda, but I found out the prices aren't much better than the new YZ anyways.

Anyone know much about credit?
I'll be putting about $3500 down and financing the rest. One of my goals with getting a new bike is to build up my credit alittle bit.
Is financing around 2 grand for say, 2 years enough to build up my credit much?
With the YZ I'll be financing around 4 grand for more like 3 years which will probably build more credit, but I don't really like the idea of being that much in debt.

Thanks for all the responses though guys, it's been really helpful.

As much as I know you want the Yamaha, the RMZ may be the way to go if you're financing. I always try to pay cash when I can for toys, but when if I finance I would be more comfortable w/less $ financed. Your statement about the addl $2k buying alot of extras is spot on. Either way, as long as you make all the payments on time you will be building up your credit.
Good Luck!

• Open_Class

Posted December 12, 2005 - 09:17 AM

Lets see here................this site is called ThumperTalk.com right? Does the name Doug Henry ring any bells? Brand Loyalty follows Brand Superiority. :applause:

Well, you screwed that up.

Brand loyalty leads brand brand atrophy. If every manufacture new that their owners were 100% loyal, they would not invest dollars to further the development of the product. They would not need to, they could sit back and realize increased profits.

It is called free market enterprise (capitalism) and it is based on competition. Competition for our (consumer) dollars is what drives the manufactures to continually make the bikes better.

You will learn this when you take an economics course

• Butta

Posted December 12, 2005 - 11:00 AM

Well, you screwed that up.

Brand loyalty leads brand brand atrophy. If every manufacture new that their owners were 100% loyal, they would not invest dollars to further the development of the product. They would not need to, they could sit back and realize increased profits.

It is called free market enterprise (capitalism) and it is based on competition. Competition for our (consumer) dollars is what drives the manufactures to continually make the bikes better.

You will learn this when you take an economics course

I think that's exactly what he was saying....people are sticking with the brand because it's not only good, but great. If they have a bad experience, they would go to someone else to spend their money.

A little harsh, don't you think?

• Open_Class

Posted December 12, 2005 - 11:28 AM

I would be more inclined to cut some slack if it had read "product superiority" and not 'brand superiority', which implies bias toward a brand and not the best product.

I do not want this to turn into a my bike better than yours discussion, but to remain about what is the best overall for the consumer. That is a healthy competition between manufactures, and a consumer base that rewards the best overall product and not sticks by one particular "brand" out of a sense of misguided loyalty.

All things being equal across products, then by all means reward the brand that you feel deserves your loyalty. That may very well be the casse here in 2006.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.