Gray wire

13 replies to this topic
  • creeky

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:54 AM

I have been riding XRs for years, had some kind of strange middle age crisis and bought an '00 WR400 from a buddy. He has snipped the gray wire. I would like to experience the performance difference with the gray wire connected. Can I simply reconnect it or is there some mysterious procedure???????? :applause:

• dbailey223

Posted November 29, 2005 - 11:47 AM

If he snipped it, it should just be a matter of connecting the two ends, making sure the connection is water proof etc. Otherwise, if he removed the wire from the connector, it's just a matter of reconnecting. No mysteries that I am aware of!

• creeky

Posted November 29, 2005 - 12:07 PM

Thanks, I'll splice it and see what happens. I would like just a little bit more grunt off idle, will this do it?

• ARin

Posted November 29, 2005 - 12:22 PM

not that i am aware of. as far as i know, disconnecting the grey wire will only add performance. It gives a shift in the timing curve at full throttle...im not aware of any off-idle changes.

• old man dan

Posted November 29, 2005 - 12:26 PM

My understanding is: gray wire connected = correct ignition curve for the stock machine (airbox snorkel-throttle limiter-exhaust restrictor) gray wire disconnected = correct ignition curve with limiters removed.

• creeky

Posted November 29, 2005 - 12:52 PM

The bike has a Big Gun full exhaust system with jetting to match. Basically, if I want to use the stock exhaust to ride quiet, I should connect the gray wire and use stock jetting?

• old man dan

Posted November 29, 2005 - 01:10 PM

No, leave it disconnected if the throttle limiter is removed. You should make sure all the "free mods" are done. The bike is a dog without them. if you want quiet just use the stock exhaust with a promoto billet or similar 96 DB tip.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:10 PM

The throttle limiter is history, so I will leave the gray wire disconnected. We're going to be doing some riding in the Ocala NF next month, thought it might be a good idea to quiet it down a little. I have some restrictor discs that came with the pipe, I'll try them out. Thanks much for the help.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:21 PM

I am going to be riding in Ocala NF over Christmas! :ride: When are you going down? :applause:

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:28 PM

If he already did the gray wire cut, it probably has all the free mods done. Atleast you got it from a buddy and he can tell you whats been done to it. I just got my 03 from a dealer and I am slowly finding things out about it. Good things!!!!

• creeky

Posted November 29, 2005 - 07:34 PM

Indy WR450.....we are leaving 12/16, driving straight through, do some riding in the Ocala NF, do a little sightseeing, probably return on the 21st or 22nd. Don't know where we are staying yet. What are your plans?

• motormouth

Posted December 02, 2005 - 08:38 AM

can someone tell me exactly where to go for my Grey Wire. I am sure I can find it on my 05 Wr 450 but I would appreciate some good advice. I just recieved my AIS Removal Kit from TT and thought it would tell me, it doesnt. Thanks for the help.

• motormouth

Posted December 02, 2005 - 08:38 AM

:applause: can someone tell me exactly where to go for my Grey Wire. I am sure I can find it on my 05 Wr 450 but I would appreciate some good advice. I just recieved my AIS Removal Kit from TT and thought it would tell me, it doesnt. Thanks for the help.

• clark4131

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:28 AM

Remove the fuel tank, look on the right side of the frame just down from the CDI. You'll see a 6-pin connector...it's in there...SC

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.