WOO HOO!!! Picked up my 06 last night

12 replies to this topic
  • JCORMI

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:34 AM

What an amazing machine, by far the most incredible bike I have owned. Now a few questions, as I was looking it over and making my big plans I was looking for the breather hose that people say needs to be rerouted. I think that mine runs into the airbox already, is this true, did Yamaha change it for 06?
Another question, we are in the beginning stages of winter so I will probably not be able to break this bike in properly till spring. What should I do where the bike already has gasoline in it? I guess I could go through several warm up cool down cycles and then change the oil, but I dont really want to let the bike just idle at the same RPM all the time before break in do I.
I guess thats all for now. Damn I'm excited to have this thing :applause: .Its gonna be a long winter.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:02 AM

I was looking for the breather hose that people say needs to be rerouted. I think that mine runs into the airbox already, is this true, did Yamaha change it.

Congrats on the new purchase. Yes, the breather hose has already been re-routed for you. Welcome aboard............... :applause:

• ARin

Posted November 29, 2005 - 11:56 AM

breather hose was changed for 05+.

go ahead and drain the tank and carburator for winter...and put the battery on a trickle charger.

Oh, and put some winter air in your tires.

• dbailey223

Posted November 29, 2005 - 12:30 PM

Or, move West and ride all year long!

• BajaFool

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:18 PM

I recommend that when you remove the AIS from your 2006 bike that you reroute the already rerouted in 2005 breather hose. If you get any water in the bottom of your air box, the water will run into the breather hose and into the top end of the motor. When you remove the AIS, reroute the breather hose up to the AIS hose fitting on the top portion of the air box. This will prevent the water from entering your motor, unless you are in water up to your seat. Chances are that you will already be in big trouble if this has occurred and you won't have just water in the breather hose to worry about. :ride:

Also, the drain at the bottom of the airbox is sealed. Either cut the end off of the drain hose or do not use the little blank off cap that is provided in the AIS Removal Kit to close off the AIS hose fitting to cap off the now unneeded breather hose fitting on the airbox. :applause:

• gobigblue

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:22 PM

breather hose was changed for 05+.

go ahead and drain the tank and carburator for winter...and put the battery on a trickle charger.

Oh, and put some winter air in your tires.

*warning nooby question*
can you just run the bike out of gas or do you have to take the carb apart to get all the gas out?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:41 PM

You LUCKY Bastage!! Congrats! :applause:

• ARin

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:50 PM

*warning nooby question*
can you just run the bike out of gas or do you have to take the carb apart to get all the gas out?

you can pull the hose from the petcock to drain the tank, and there is a gold allenhead stopper bolt at the bottom of the carb that drains the carb through the drain hose.

http://www.thumperta...entid=291&stc=1
http://www.thumperta...entid=302&stc=1

:applause:

• Texas4play

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:45 PM

Don't run it at prolonged idle it will boil over. Needs air flow. Youcan try a big fan if you have to.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:09 PM

Congrats on the new ride. Man, I remember the afternoon I bought mine. Such a sweet sweet day. Have fun with her. :applause:

• JCORMI

Posted November 30, 2005 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will take your advice Arin and drain out all the fuel, unless I get a nice day in the next week or so to break her in on. What do you guys think about putting stabil in there for the winter? Anyone go that route?

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 30, 2005 - 05:07 AM

I keep stabil in my R1 since I ride 95% off road and only a few weekends a year on the road bike up in the mountains ( Life is a Biatch!). Stabil works well for 6 months by my experience and maybe up to a year. I keep the tank completely full for storage. :applause:

• RichBaker

Posted November 30, 2005 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will take your advice Arin and drain out all the fuel, unless I get a nice day in the next week or so to break her in on. What do you guys think about putting stabil in there for the winter? Anyone go that route?

I wouldn't, it has a plastic tank, just drain it and put the gas in your car...that way you'll have nice, fresh high-test when you break her in! :applause:
My experience with Stabil found crud on the spark plug building up, eventually fouled the plugs in the NYPUM fleet of bikes...a bunch of XR80, 100, and 200s used to teach at-risk kids to ride, an incentive program that works quite well! :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.