It appears the XR650R and XR650L are dead

221 replies to this topic
  • rmhrc630

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:24 PM

I agree...and glad someone is admitting the CRF is a very good bike just needs the valves replaced and a cuppla other things. Honda does deserve a little credit.

Not much of a cruiser type here but certainly did not enjoy riding the VTX 1800, very disappointed. Motor pulled very strong and then just signed off w/no warning. Suspension was the worst part. You have some exotic tastes in cruisers.

I refused to trade in my 929 too, was too good a bike, couldn't kill it and nothing that came out was significantly better. Had good offers to trade up but no reason to..the 929 was a great bike, stayed competitive, was bulletproof ( to Honda's credit) and nothing new was really better.

It's intersting listening to you guys talk about their road models. I know nothng about where Honda sits in road bikes.

Are you guys saying that Honda dropped the ball there too?

Are there any examples?

• BWB63

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:45 PM

It's intersting listening to you guys talk about their road models. I know nothng about where Honda sits in road bikes.

Are there any examples?

I have ridden the RC-51, 2005 CBR1000, GSXR1000 and new Kawi X10.

I liked the smoothness of the CBR1000 best by far. The X10 was twichy/ scary at 140~146 if I came on to fast, coming out of a corner. Maybe it's the way I was shifting or I was to far forward but, I liked the rest. I had the most fun on the GSXR1000. I liked how it comes on at 7k rpm. It's just a fun bike. Best all around? I liked the Balls of the RC-51 and the over all ride of the CBR1000; Honda did good on these bikes. The RC-51 has some killer torque! The best buy on a sport street bike is the Honda 996 SuperHawk! It's the most over looked bike for the non-racer, looking to have fun. It's the XR650L of street bikes. (Not a race bike but, will get you there) There are some throw back of last years bikes out there for $6,800 OTD! Not bad for a 160mph bike that will keep the front end off the ground well past 100mph. I would not be suprized if Honda is not selling enough of these and the SuperHawk will go the way of the XR's.

• GANKS

Posted December 14, 2005 - 10:24 PM

I saw an ad in a moto magazine for a 2006 CR500AF built by service honda http://www.servicehonda.com/

These guys also make a CR500AFX. It's too bad they are focused mostly on 2 strokes. I think they could build a CRF600 4 stroke that could be a desert machine, a SM and a Dual sport. Heck they wedged a CRF250R motor into a CR80 chassis.

I find it funny that an independent company can make a profit selling Honda's people want but that Honda won't build. Hopefully they won't be the only answer for future high performance Hondas.

GANKS

• hill5150

Posted December 14, 2005 - 10:31 PM

I saw an ad in a moto magazine for a 2006 CR500AF built by service honda http://www.servicehonda.com/

These guys also make a CR500AFX. It's too bad they are focused mostly on 2 strokes. I think they could build a CRF600 4 stroke that could be a desert machine, a SM and a Dual sport. Heck they wedged a CRF250R motor into a CR80 chassis.

I find it funny that an independent company can make a profit selling Honda's people want but that Honda won't build. Hopefully they won't be the only answer for future high performance Hondas.

GANKS

Having a CR 500 for many years, I miss it,alot,especially at Glamis, I have spoken to the guys at Service about the x, which is green stickerable in Ca, as well as bought many parts from them, great prices and service, the AF sounds absolutely insane, it had better track times than the 450r, the x will be avail for delivery probably end of january.As far as spending ten large for one, that's another story.............although it does weigh a mear 218lbs........... no one will beat you ever again.....if you can keep it hooked up.................... :applause:

• Triumphs

Posted December 15, 2005 - 07:46 AM

Neat bikes, but probably a small niche market only in the view of Honda. And nobody wants kick-only off-road bikes anymore. A major faux pas! :applause:

• Mikie1

Posted December 15, 2005 - 08:50 AM

If I was only racing with it, I wouldn't WANT the e-start. Play riding, now that's a different story. Depends on how much stopping you're doing. With one or two riding partners of equal speed/ability, we usually don't stop much in a day's riding. I'd LOVE to have a 500AFX if they could balance the vibration out of that motor. Wonder how stable they are at speed, though. IMS used to make wide-ratio gearsets for the CR500. Anyone know if there's still a source for those?

• jwriott

Posted December 15, 2005 - 10:04 AM

Are there any examples?

CBR1000RR < R1, GSXR1000, ZX10 (They are faster, lighter, etc.)

CBR600RR < R6, ZX6 (Same as above)

VFR800 is a great bike but the Beemers are killing it because it needs more displacement, people want a VFR1000 and Honda went from a 750 to 800cc.

CBR1100XX < Hayabusa and ZX12

ST1300 < FJR1300 (Faster and lighter) and several BMW's

919 < FZ1 (Much Faster)

VTX1800 < VRod, Vulcan 2000, Truimph Rocket III, etc.

RC51 < 999, RSV1000 (yes they are more expensive but they get updated yearly)

These are just examples off the top of my head where Honda has missed the mark. Almost all of these bikes are good bikes, they just aren't as good as the competition. Years ago, Honda would have been tops in at least 1/2 of the above comparisons.

Honda also used to do special versions of bikes like the RC30, RC45 and NR750. Now Yamaha is doing that with their R1. The biggest disappointment for me with regards to the sport bikes is a street version of the RC211V. Instead of making this bike and slaughtering the competition, Honda stays with the I4 and says it has RC211V inspired technology.

Honda is getting killed in the cruiser segment by Yamaha and now Suzuki. They have spin off lines of bikes that are more desireable and innovative pretty much across the board.

With regards to the dirt, Yamaha knocked a ton of wind out of Honda's sails. It took Honda 4 years to make a competing bike. Even little KTM brought out bikes that could compete with Yamaha and Honda was nowhere to be seen.

I think to be completely dominant again, they need to lead instead of follow. Plus, I want more Hondas.

• huntmaster

Posted December 15, 2005 - 10:35 AM

Yes, unfortunately it's a huge difference between building a parts bin special (with some obvious thought and development) of existing components... and engineering a bike whose engine and chasis does not yet exist. It will take big red itself to pull that off. Just hope we all don't grow old waiting for it! :applause:

• ghoti

Posted December 15, 2005 - 01:26 PM

IThe best buy on a sport street bike is the Honda 996 SuperHawk! It's the most over looked bike for the non-racer, looking to have fun. It's the XR650L of street bikes. (Not a race bike but, will get you there).

:applause: :bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry: :p :lol: :bonk: :bonk: What did you just say Bruce? The L is the best buy in dirt bikes if you are looking to have fun? :bonk:
As a side note; why aren't the RR's and R1 types called dual sports?

• BWB63

Posted December 15, 2005 - 02:31 PM

Oh, no, I slipped and used the "L" as a good example!!! :cry: :cry:

Like I said, the SuperHawk is not a race bike but, a lot of fun for the Money. Not the best bike for the tight turns, won't do it real fast but, faster then the average Joe will take a corner. Won't keep up with any of the 1K crouch rockets but, you'll be right behind them. None of the 600's will keep up on the straight. It is an RC-51 without the bottom fairing, has lower compression piston (8:1), mild cam and nowhere near the suspension........sounds like I have heard this somewhere else about two other bikes??? :bonk: The difference is the SuperHawk and the RC-51 weigh the same. I guess the SuperHawk is the bike for the guys that can't handle a RC-51, like the XR650L is for the guy's that can't handle the XR650R :p

I would love to fit a RC-51 in the shop, it's the best all around street racer but, I wouldn't mind having a SuperHawk either.

The RC-51 is the XR650R of street racers and the SuperHawk is the XR650L :cry:

There are Faster street bikes for different types for racing, then the RC-51, Like there are faster dirt bikes for different types of racing, then the XR650R.
There are worst and more expensive all around fun street "wanna be race bikes" then the SuperHawk but, the Superhawk does the most for the money. Just like the XR650L is one of the best can't quite do anything real good duel sport bikes :lol: .........:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • huntmaster

Posted December 15, 2005 - 08:29 PM

The RC-51 is the XR650R of street racers and the SuperHawk is the XR650L

Ironically, both of those street models have been discontinued this year!

• Jayzonk

Posted December 15, 2005 - 10:21 PM

The RC-51 is the XR650R of street racers and the SuperHawk is the XR650L :applause:

We should keep this going:
The XR650R is to the XR650L is as coffee is to tea....
The XR650R is to the XR650L is as a rotweiler is to a poodle...
The XR650R is to the XR650L is like flies buzzing around shit to no flies and no shit.
...sorry, I was running low on getting something funny out.

• wheelnut46

Posted December 16, 2005 - 04:01 AM

"Just like the XR650L is one of the best can't quite do anything real good duel sport bikes"

Is that a compliment? almost? sorta?

• Chorbelt

Posted December 16, 2005 - 05:54 AM

Yeah - One of those back handed compliments. Kind of like telling your buddy "she's not as bitchy as your last girlfriend".

• ghoti

Posted December 16, 2005 - 05:58 AM

Ironically, both of those street models have been discontinued this year!

What, the L is discontinued. :applause: Maybe now I can get antique plates for it.

• Jayzonk

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:45 PM

Is there any official word from Honda that the big XR's are discontinued in America? So far, only Australia has been discontinued.

• Jayzonk

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:51 PM

I just typed in www.crf600.com into my url address line, and the thumpertalk site popped up. Can anyone explain that?

• pHreaC

Posted December 19, 2005 - 11:18 PM

Being a Belgian who's looking for an XR650R, I can tell you it's gonna be damn hard to find one in Europe for 2006. Only UK and Swiss will sell the 2006 HONDA XR model. All other models come from parallel import HM. They are homologized (or something like that) by dallara. Because of this fact that there is someone who needs to buy them from Honda, make them 'legal' for street use etc... The price of an XR (from HM) is 9.200€ or +11.000$ :cry:

Being so, I'm trying to import one myself, from Honda, in the box, and do the whole paper-thingy (making it legal to drive) myself (with some help from a dealer). It will still be expensive... but what the hell, :applause: I WANNA XR :bonk:

• XRMANU

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:10 AM

Being a Belgian who's looking for an XR650R, I can tell you it's gonna be damn hard to find one in Europe for 2006. Only UK and Swiss will sell the 2006 HONDA XR model. All other models come from parallel import HM. They are homologized (or something like that) by dallara. Because of this fact that there is someone who needs to buy them from Honda, make them 'legal' for street use etc... The price of an XR (from HM) is 9.200€ or +11.000$ :cry:

Being so, I'm trying to import one myself, from Honda, in the box, and do the whole paper-thingy (making it legal to drive) myself (with some help from a dealer). It will still be expensive... but what the hell, :applause: I WANNA XR :bonk:

Hoi, precies 't licht gezien.
:cry:

• rmhrc630

Posted December 20, 2005 - 11:47 AM

what you should do is buy one from Australia. Soon they will be on closeout prices - meaning probbaly about low $9000 australian dollars - about $6570 US

Plus the Aussiue model is full road legal with all lights, speedo and indicators. It's like the italian model with indicators ( from what I can see)

So if I were you I would look in the Australia websites and get one ordered - even call the country Honda dealerships where volume is small and they want a deal to clear the bike.

I would say in the new year is the best time - the XR is not being sold here after 2006 and stocks right now are getting low.

On another note I think Honda are going to be releasing something in 12 months - I found this out from their marketing dept...

Realistically we have to be smart. Honda will remain in the bigbore bore class and yes there is going to be a new bike in 12 months. The way Honda have hidden the news of such a bike is pretty awesome (like they did with the XR650R remember?)

This is 2006 now and I think some of you north american guys know a little more than you are letting on - MK in particular is a knowledge warehouse and knows what Honda are up to. The days of keeoping bikes/new products under wraps are almost done - we want a new bike now not next year.

Hey Mikey - how about creating an alias and posting some juice on the new machine?

I think each member on this XR650R forum should get at least least $50 each for product development for this new bike - the items and thoughts you guys have come up with are perfect - and to be sure you guys are the PRECISE target market that Honda want.

If you were Honda right now and wanted to know precisely what your customers wanted where would you go? (apart from sanitised customer survey companies that cost $millions) You log on to TT and guys like us are telling Honda dead straight what we want. No where else would they get the cross section of views and owners wtih such a history of the XR lineup.

I really really really hope HOnda are listening. 8-9 years ago when the 650R was being developed they never had the forum or ability to tap our views day to day. The beauty of TT is that it can be used as a product development tool.

It's gonna be a long 12 months...

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.