It appears the XR650R and XR650L are dead

221 replies to this topic
  • huntmaster

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:51 AM

I'm gonna hound Honda will they release some info to me. I'm already pissed at their attitude already

I'm sure they will be happy to refer you to either of the current 650's for your riding enjoyment! There is no way they will cut off interest in the current bikes at the knees until the new bike is officially announced....and don't hold your breath waiting!

• mikekay

Posted December 07, 2005 - 02:33 PM

yeah the EFI question is a good one.

what bike would be better to debut japanese dirt bike EFI than this new one?

my old BMW 650 Dakar had it-and once the mapping was worked out-it was great.

• roadcam

Posted December 07, 2005 - 03:26 PM

I'm still holding my breath for the BOLD, NEW GRAPHICS !! ... :applause:

• Steve_Wollam

Posted December 07, 2005 - 08:52 PM

Honda has already debuted EFI on a dirt bike. The 2005 Montesa (Honda) 4RT trials bike.

• rmhrc630

Posted December 07, 2005 - 10:15 PM

Honda has already debuted EFI on a dirt bike. The 2005 Montesa (Honda) 4RT trials bike.

Thats a trials bike not a trail bike.

may as well be a road bike - it has absolutley no aplication to dirt bikes at all.

• Steve_Wollam

Posted December 08, 2005 - 05:46 AM

>> it has absolutley no aplication to dirt bikes at all

I disagree. The EFI on Montesa (Honda) is extremely light weight that requires no battery. Honda developed a high-performance generator that is driven by the kick starter that produces enough current to run the fuel injection pump. It's highly likely that this technology will find it way to the CRF models.

• jwriott

Posted December 08, 2005 - 07:27 AM

Wow, long thread but there's some good info in here.

It seems to me that if Honda holds true to what they've done in the past, the XR650R would be converted into a Dual Sport. Then they'd make a new model open class thumper but who knows? :applause:

I'd say the KTM LC Series are more along the lines of the XR650R. Big, heavy, fast and reliable.

The RFS line parallels the CRF-X models without the valve issues.

I'm still planning on getting a clean, used XR650R and slapping a plate on the back for a dual sport. Here in Colorado, you only need a brake light, mirrors, horn. Tires are supposed to be DOT but nobody checks anyway.

• khelton

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:41 PM

All Right Sports Fans, here are some Numbers related to the size of the non-registered dirtbike market, 2005 numbers are forecast through the end of 2005.

2004 2005 change

Total sales - 1,102,620 1,072,035 -2.77%

MX and Enduro Sales- 273,502

California - 135,508 -3.3 %

Texas 54,732 - 1.66 %

Pennsylvania 43,645 -6.29 %

Ohio 39,200 -3.68 %

New York 38,841 -7.31 %

Michigan 38,094 -9.84 %

Florida 37,885 +17.30%

Minnesota 35,508 -9.91 %

Wisconsin 32,709 -6.61 %

Missouri 29,467 -9.91 %

Tennessee 26,641 - 7.91 %

Note that ATV sales are 3 times greater than non-registered offroad dirtbike sales. I Will try to find some Numbers that include registered dirtbike sales if anyone is really interested. At 1.1. million units annually, it is a huge market , especially for the big 4 manufacturers.

• khelton

Posted December 08, 2005 - 02:54 PM

Here is a quickie, of 701,455 registered new bikes expected to be sold this year in the U.S., 28,681 will be dual sport.

Sport bikes - 151,000

Touring - 125,000

Standaard - 15,388

Cruiser - 329,000 ***

Scooters - 51,859

Courtesy of Dealer News, Santa Ana, Ca, December issue, 2005

Dual sport segment is small but still an important part of a manufacturers lineup... IMHO. Dual sport is projected to see double digit growth next year, possibly as high as 29%.

• rmhrc630

Posted December 08, 2005 - 03:27 PM

Jesus it's true what they say about California!!!

Look at those numbers!!!

6th largest economcy in the world!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jayzonk

Posted December 08, 2005 - 10:14 PM

I didn't know they fractionated Cailfornia when looking at the size of the economy. Is the value of the economy (GNP, but in terms of states) bigger in Cali than in any other state?? Wow, no wonder you guys all have dirt bikes...

• KASUYAHO

Posted December 10, 2005 - 05:46 AM

The last XR's rolled out early this year.
Honda want to concentrate on the 450 for the time being, sales, reliability etc.
For a dual sport bike Honda have the transalpe 650.
over here the teams have not said if there is a 600 650 in the wind, they say it is just rumor.
:ride:
but there are some rule changes to some races like Dakar that opens up the door for a bike like a 650.
and if they do bring one out it better be as reliable as the XR's have been. :applause:

• reconranger

Posted December 10, 2005 - 07:44 AM

For the record, quad outsell everything else COMBINED: Dirt bikes, street bikes, scooters, etc.! Only in Calif. do they sell more dirt bikes than quads. There is a very well entrenched dirt bike culture here.

So, if the XR goes, what will be the new desert race bike for team Honda??? The CRF450X??? (Guess this ends my hopes for a 650EX desert race quad.)

• huntmaster

Posted December 10, 2005 - 09:18 AM

For the record, quad outsell everything else COMBINED: Dirt bikes, street bikes, scooters, etc.!

And that is important because....?
I'm sure they sell more underwear then dirt bikes too...but this is actually a dirt bike forum!

• blueridge

Posted December 10, 2005 - 09:27 AM

.. because product managers with highest sales drive engineering allocation to products. IOW, quads are receiving the R&D funding, DS and enduro bikes aren't.

• XR_RON

Posted December 10, 2005 - 09:59 AM

loji ght g yu joe mfwqer fhjek nvjr nvjkls vnfj n iflojil ei h vuieoqjklsi hfwii fhfueiwo;

• mikekay

Posted December 10, 2005 - 10:13 PM

Is the value of the economy (GNP, but in terms of states) bigger in Cali than in any other state?.

The GDP of California is larger than all but 5 other nation states.

It is also 1/6th or so of the US economy. So yes, its economy is far far far larger than any other US state.

Curiously agriculture is traditionally the largest sector by value. Over $60 Billion worth of foodstuffs is produced in the golden state each year.

The megalopolis of greater Los Angelas/San Diego has over 24 million souls...making it one of the top 4 largest human settlements on earth.

California also has the second largest population of 22 foreign countries. Places as diverse as Ethiopia and Samoa and Guatemala all have more citiznes in Cali than all but the capital of their nations...

Finally--California has the highest, lowest, hottest, and dryest spots in the lower 48 states.

• huntmaster

Posted December 11, 2005 - 04:18 PM

IOW, quads are receiving the R&D funding, DS and enduro bikes aren't.

??????? Quads have little bearing on this thread or those looking for next generation replacements here. Quads as well as enduro bikes get a trickle down effect from racing. It's motocross based technology enduros inherit, for better or worse, and MX-based design which is effecting our off road decisions, not quads. If I'm wrong...then look for a beer holder on the next generation CRF600X!

• khelton

Posted December 11, 2005 - 05:30 PM

The booming quad market effects the resources the major manufacturers are willing to put into the manufacture of our dirt bikes. When half their warehouse is taken up by quads and only 5% by dual sports and when dealers may receive as many as 5 trailer loads of quads a day, that is where the limited capital and engineering resources are going to go..i.e. Honda's 4-wheeler plant in South Carolina, they put money into quads but you don't see any dual sport plants in the U.S. ..just my humble opinion.

• craft

Posted December 11, 2005 - 08:37 PM

The booming quad market effects the resources the major manufacturers are willing to put into the manufacture of our dirt bikes. When half their warehouse is taken up by quads and only 5% by dual sports and when dealers may receive as many as 5 trailer loads of quads a day, that is where the limited capital and engineering resources are going to go..i.e. Honda's 4-wheeler plant in South Carolina, they put money into quads but you don't see any dual sport plants in the U.S. ..just my humble opinion.

Ain't all about the U.S, we only buy <10% of the bikes worldwide. Asia and Latin America buy almost 10x as much as we do. Ever been in Central America? Dual sports are everywhere...Scooters will eat into this a bit, but not devour it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.