It appears the XR650R and XR650L are dead

221 replies to this topic
  • thumpasaurus

Posted December 02, 2005 - 06:23 AM

...deliver something in the true Adventure category to compete with the [in no particular order] Buel Uly, the Katoom 950, Katoom 640 Adv, Katoom 640 Ralley, the rumoured BMW F800 "dakar" [uly-killer]. for my money, I'm leaning toward the beemer, if its for real, to replace two bikes: my XR650R and my V-strom.z

I have a 650R and a vstrom (weestrom) too. There will never be one bike that can effectively substitute for both of these. The Suzuki is an outstanding street/touring bike and the Honda is an outstanding dirt bike. The twain shall never meet. One way or the other it will be a compromise.

• TimBrp

Posted December 02, 2005 - 06:47 AM

Ditto thumpasaurus.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:20 AM

I have a 650R and a vstrom (weestrom) too. There will never be one bike that can effectively substitute for both of these. The Suzuki is an outstanding street/touring bike and the Honda is an outstanding dirt bike. The twain shall never meet. One way or the other it will be a compromise.

This is true but most dirt bikers here in Washington are not looking for a road bike in a dual sport. What we want is outstanding performance on the dirt and legality on the road to get us from one trail head to another when we must take a road. Or to drive into a town on a long ride to fuel up. If we really wanna ride street all the time we will buy a street bike.

We want the reliability of the Honda XR650R with a weight factor of 250 lbs and performance of fast big bore. That is not too much to ask of Honda.

• TimBrp

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:41 AM

We want the reliability of the Honda XR650R with a weight factor of 250 lbs and performance of fast big bore. That is not too much to ask of Honda.

It's like a wetdream old man.... :applause:

• Cobalt650

Posted December 02, 2005 - 08:03 PM

I'm 38, haven't had an XR since my 1985 600, owned a 250 and 80 before that, I'm just getting ready to get a XR650L and now this!!!!!!!!!! Do I jump on one now or hope for a new street legal dual sport in the fall of 2006?

• rmhrc630

Posted December 02, 2005 - 08:28 PM

Mate that 85 600 would be awesome!!!

• Jayzonk

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:31 PM

I'm 38, haven't had an XR since my 1985 600, owned a 250 and 80 before that, I'm just getting ready to get a XR650L and now this!!!!!!!!!! Do I jump on one now or hope for a new street legal dual sport in the fall of 2006?

If your heart's into a 650L, get one now. I bought one in '05, and I'm not regretting it, nor am I thinking about trading it for something that has broken ranks with a long line of heritage. This could be your last chance at having a beast! That's what I like about XR's...they've transcended a lot of fads. Honda's next generation (whatever that might be) could be really trendy, and not really a keeper.
:applause: How's that for sappy? :ride:

• Jayzonk

Posted December 02, 2005 - 10:03 PM

Would you trade your XR for one of these??
http://www.ktm-canada.ca/frameset.asp
It's a V-twin. 400lbs. You think this thing could do Baja? I doubt it's got the handling at that weight...

• mikekay

Posted December 02, 2005 - 11:12 PM

....they have raced the V Twin KTM in the Baja 1000.

Yes---the CRF6xx is right around the corner. Its now got about a year + of development and 6 months of testing.

It looks like a CRF450 with a taller cylinder. Might even be street legal in the USA.

Its going to compete with the KTM 525 and the Husqvarna 510.

Sad to see the XR brand finished...

• TimBrp

Posted December 03, 2005 - 08:24 AM

Yeah but I've got drool dripping while wait for the new CRF. A clean title would make all the difference in sales for Honda. They've got nothing in the way of a dirt worthy streetable machine....as of yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cobalt650

Posted December 03, 2005 - 08:53 AM

Does anyone have any lead or the hope of developing one regarding the 2007 lineup? I've got one shot to get my big red thumper (three kids-other toys=1 shot), and I'm balancing getting something for the spring or waiting until the fall. It'll be snowmobile season here until April, so there does exist a fair amount of time for speculation!!!!

• rmhrc630

Posted December 03, 2005 - 02:46 PM

....they have raced the V Twin KTM in the Baja 1000.

Yes---the CRF6xx is right around the corner. Its now got about a year + of development and 6 months of testing.

It looks like a CRF450 with a taller cylinder. Might even be street legal in the USA.

Its going to compete with the KTM 525 and the Husqvarna 510.

Great news.

So mike you've seen the new CRFXXX or spoken to someone who has...?

I pray it doesnt have twin spar alloy frame as that limits gas capacity.

I would also have thought that it would be more like the new husky 610TEE which appears to be awesome.

any more info? would be pretty cool if TT beat everyone else on the new release.

• Jayzonk

Posted December 03, 2005 - 03:08 PM

So Mike's the in-the-know guy? Or is that your best guess? :applause: Why would a 600 be competing with a 525? Similar torque curve?
Does this mean that Campbell will have a CRF600 next year??
Does this mean we're in for titanium valve problems??
Will this bike even be Baja suitable?
I still wonder if Honda will drop the big bore bike thing altogether. If their real competitors are Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi, the only competitors are the DRZ650, and the KLR. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda just dropped the whole thing, and left the top of the lineup with the CRF450. Didn't Campbell practice on one of those?

• rmhrc630

Posted December 03, 2005 - 03:43 PM

JZ - I think from memory Mike has some Honda connections.

I also recall he was vehmently pissed with Honda over their CRF250X debacle of a bike.

He's a good guy. Tells it like it is. Wants change.

If Honda dont come out with a good (njot make that ball tearer that answer ALL my needs) new big bore then I'm outa here.It will confirm their bank rupcy of ideas and just plain laziness. They have had 6 years since the outdated XR600 was killed to come up with a new modern bike that we Honda riders could take pride in.

For too long they have been riding on our goodwill and expecting us to keep taking their old style bikes. (I own an XR and a CRF so I am not biased)

For an indication of what is possible in the DB world have a look at KTM and their evolution into a main player:

1. 10 years ago you generally wouldnt piss on a KTM'. Theye were quirky weirdo bikes
2. A plan was implemented in mid - late 90s which looked at what to build.
3. They reseached the market and designed the 400 and 520. They were breakthroughs.
4. Nowadays KTN just keeps milking its flexibility to design and make bikes that cover so many market segmets it's not funny. I even read they're coming out with a quad!!!

Honda get off your ass and start making some next generation bikes. Not pissant 450s that rev to 12000 rpm. Strong, powerful, reliable and great looking bikes that get back that versatility that the XRs were famous for.

Seriously HOnda seems to act like we trail riders want the world. USDs, Estart, reliability are all matters that have been handled by lots of other manufacturers.

I heard a disturbing thing the otehr day - in Australia evidently Honda are going to focus all efforts on the 450X (&%$#@!!!!!!!!) via their raceteams (and hence marketing) and that will be our only choice for big bore bikes for a while. If that's true then Honda can jump becuase that is contempt.

• blueridge

Posted December 03, 2005 - 04:31 PM

If their real competitors are Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi, the only competitors are the DRZ650, and the KLR.

I wish there were a DR-Z650. The DR-Z400 is long overdue for more displacement.

• Naru

Posted December 03, 2005 - 09:07 PM

If Honda discontinues the XR650R, I for one am not really concerned (though I am saddened at the loss of the XR line). If the XR600R is any indication, these bikes will be around for a LONG time after they're killed, and parts on ebay for far longer than that. Plus, I'm sure Honda has warehouses full of these that will take a few years to unload; even here in southern california they are moving pretty slow out of dealerships, and desert racers are the target audience.

Also, if Honda just makes a few critical steps regarding in the design of the CRF600X's piston and valves, the bike will at least be workable. I've beat the snot out of my CRF450, and the only problems I've had are with the valves (which S/S valves fixed for the most part), and piston longevity. So, there is some hope. :applause:

• XR6's_rule

Posted December 04, 2005 - 01:44 AM

Amen to what RMHRC630 said, us enduro/trailriders dont want or need computer chip-whizz-bang gadgetry on our dirtbikes. We simply want a new offering from Honda that has competitive power, up to date suspension (USD forks are not necessary), a little lighter weight so most riders can get the most out of the bike, easy maintenance and at least some durability. I dont think it's too much to ask and seeing that there is a growing tendancy for buyers (in australia at least) to steer away from the hotly tuned thumpers, a bike such as this would have to sell strongly.

• huntmaster

Posted December 04, 2005 - 07:37 AM

Its going to compete with the KTM 525 and the Husqvarna 510. Sad to see the XR brand finished...

It would be nice to see them compete directly in this market, which the European brands have had to themselves while the Japanese stick with MX-based 450's. Off-roaders fortunately aren't subject to MX capacity limits and there's no better route to power and reliability then simple displacement.

If it's a CRF and not an XR, so be it. Honda canned the XL line years ago despite a devoted following but everyone got over it...as long as another bike somewhere in the lineup fit the role.

• Triumphs

Posted December 04, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Does this mean that Campbell will have a CRF600 next year?? Does this mean we're in for titanium valve problems??
Will this bike even be Baja suitable?

People seem very focussed on the current CRF250 and 450 maintenance issues but forget that a 600 will not have to be tuned to the same level as them to make good power. The 450's make their 50hp with a gazillion revs, no oil supply, skirtless pistons, Ti valves etc.) where the current 650R makes the same power (and much more torque) with low revs and reliability. A next generation 600 will really not have to make much more power. You have to keep tires on them afterall! Look for less weight and more compact with a happy button instead!

• hotrod32

Posted December 04, 2005 - 12:01 PM

First of all if things don't change they stay the same. This means there would be no incentive to get rid of your old bike for the new improved model. Second, you are all second guessing what Honda is thinking. Third, 2 stroke engines are becoming dinosaurs in other products (outboard motors) and will problably bikes someday soon.
On a better note, one of the other forums mentions the possibility of a 300-350 CRF. I don't know if it is air or water cooled and whether it will be an "X" or "F" but it dosen't appear like Honda is going to abandon dirtbikes, most likely just shuffle the deck and redeal.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.