It appears the XR650R and XR650L are dead

221 replies to this topic
  • rmhrc630

Posted November 28, 2005 - 09:47 PM

From honda australia website:

http://www.hondamoto...l final run.pdf

Guess it only confirms the existance of the new CRF600X!!!!

Irondude - how long till you post some photos!!!!

• targetdrone

Posted November 28, 2005 - 09:54 PM

Or it means you Aussies didn't buy enough of them to make it worth importing them...

• rmhrc630

Posted November 28, 2005 - 10:07 PM

Or it means you Aussies didn't buy enough of them to make it worth importing them...

You're possibly correct.

When I see statements though alluding to the production line being shut that normally means rest of the world.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:30 AM

You're possibly correct.

When I see statements though alluding to the production line being shut that normally means rest of the world.

Could be a valid indicator.

Could we have a moment of silence, for two of our fallen great bikes?

:applause: :ride: :p

Glad I got my '05 L in time. :p

• wickedsprint

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:54 AM

I need to hurry up and find an R then...yikes.

• roadcam

Posted November 29, 2005 - 07:28 AM

according to that news release, ... on my present XR650L, I am able to " Blast Around Town In Breathtaking Style " .... I knew it, I just knew it !!! :applause:

• al_piv

Posted November 29, 2005 - 07:47 AM

I just went through the Honda main site and saw nothing of this.
The USA Honda Motorcycle site had nothing either.
Has anyone talked to a dealer about this or is this just a hoax? :applause:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:34 AM

US site shows an 06 model of both the XR650R and L. They would not come off of the same production line anyway. They are two totally different bikes in every respect. Don't bury them before they are dead.

• TimBrp

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:26 AM

Even with the installment of the supposed 600x there will still be a couple of years worth of 650 R's at least to come out. They need to empty the factories first. Just like how the CRF's came out and it took a couple years to deplete the line of other Xr's...

• rmhrc630

Posted November 29, 2005 - 12:04 PM

Even with the installment of the supposed 600x there will still be a couple of years worth of 650 R's at least to come out. They need to empty the factories first. Just like how the CRF's came out and it took a couple years to deplete the line of other Xr's...

This is no hoax - it's from the Honda Aust website and all over the db media here.

If you read the article it says 2006 modes are the last. That means next year. So of course you'll see 2006 models on websites. But you wont see an 07 XR650R or L. They are GAWN.

Basically when the last 06 model runs off the line we get no more of them. So by this time next year we shouidl know the replacement model.

I think it's a classic signal that the CRF600X is a definite - I mean killing 2 bikes at once and replacing with one do it all awesome CRF/XR hybrid seems to be the best yeah?

Tim
As the CRF450X was announced (not arrived but just announced) Honda virtually stopped bringning in the XR400. It did not take long to dissappear.

In australia right now if you're very very lucky you can get an XR400. However production has stopped on those.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blueridge

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:18 PM

this is part of the gradual change from XRs to CRFs that began with the smallest displacements and will swallow the BRP in 2007.

Since there is no 600+ class MX, perhaps the CRF6xx won't have race bike mtn skeds. If it does, lots of people are going to hang on the their BRPs for a long time.

• Quick Draw

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:24 PM

I have seen '05 XR 400s and 250s here...

• sgifford

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:16 PM

I hope Honda keeps something with XR-like reliability in the 400+ and 600+ ranges.

With the XR400 gone, that will push me to a WR when my son outgrows his XR280 (unless maintenance goes down and reliability improves on the CRF450X). The same will be true when the sad day comes to retire my 'L'.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:40 PM

according to that news release, ... on my present XR650L, I am able to " Blast Around Town In Breathtaking Style " .... I knew it, I just knew it !!! :applause:

Exactly how "breathtaking" is directly correlated to your ability to wheelie in traffic :ride:

• ThunderChicken

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:02 PM

there certainly is some new open class off road bike in the works. i also suspect that there is a mid-cc dual sport bike coming too.

i'm a little dismayed that the potential development for both bikes could be based off of the CRF bloodline instead of taking the 650R bloodline and working forwards.

it would have to be a seriously bulletproof CRF 600 before i would use it in the role that i use my 650 in.

my 450x has been a nice diversion and something fun to have for tighter terrain races but i can't see any CRF becoming "the old standby" that the 650R has become. no way.

let's hope best case scenario for the XR650R is it will replace the L and will get CARB/EPA certified, lights hung on it, possibly a electric starter, and rebadged as a dual sport bike.

• al_piv

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:09 PM

I just got my BRP after riding an XR400 then going to KTM 450 EXC. The KTM is great for tight stuff and two day trips, yet long distance stuff it will not due.
The BRP is my answer

• AHRMA17L

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:18 PM

I have seen '05 XR 400s and 250s here...

Sorry, but no. The last model year for the XR250 and XR400 was 2004. The production line ran out in March of 2005, but the headtube of every one of the bikes says 2004.

• Jayzonk

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:49 PM

With Honda's focus shifting toward Asia, I wouldn't be surprised if there is NO new 600. They are trying to sell scooters and they are concentrating on Asia, so I don't know that they're going to be considering what we want at all. I don't know if their sales warrant trying to stay in this category, for example. The redesigned 650R came out in 2000, and I'm not sure that the investment paid off for them. I mean, I love the bike just like you, but I'd bet that they are simply looking at payback time. If they do come out with a new bike with a new power plant, they're throwing away a great engine. I wonder if they'd sell me the plan for it.....hmmmmmm...........
So they'd race the Baja with full factory support, then throw the #1 bike out the window? It just doesn't make sense.
I'm rambling, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of what I'm thinking about this news! It's too bad that a decision on buying a new bike has to be based on what MIGHT happen in the following year. Kinda ridiculous.

• rmhrc630

Posted November 29, 2005 - 10:21 PM

With Honda's focus shifting toward Asia, I wouldn't be surprised if there is NO new 600. They are trying to sell scooters and they are concentrating on Asia, so I don't know that they're going to be considering what we want at all. I don't know if their sales warrant trying to stay in this category, for example. The redesigned 650R came out in 2000, and I'm not sure that the investment paid off for them. I mean, I love the bike just like you, but I'd bet that they are simply looking at payback time. If they do come out with a new bike with a new power plant, they're throwing away a great engine. I wonder if they'd sell me the plan for it.....hmmmmmm...........
So they'd race the Baja with full factory support, then throw the #1 bike out the window? It just doesn't make sense.
I'm rambling, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of what I'm thinking about this news! It's too bad that a decision on buying a new bike has to be based on what MIGHT happen in the following year. Kinda ridiculous.

The problem for Honda is that the dirt bike world has changed so much in the last 7 years from when the 650 R was designed.

It was a late baby to start with then when it arrived it was rather underwhelming. (especially compared the the YZ400 at the time)

The XR600 had a tremendous run cos it was right from the start and not mcuh changed in the dirt bike world for like 10 years. It was a great thing and Honda well and truly covered their costs.

I think the XR650R is long due for replacement. I love big Hondas. I sense a reversion to big bore well equipped bikes.

The husky TE610E is a stellar bike. If the CRF600X is like it then Honda will rule the roost like the XR600 used to.

If you think about it, it's all about market segmentation - we now need 2 tools to do trail ridnig with - a small light CRF type tool and a larger better equipped long distance tool like the XRF600X

Did any of you guys notice that the website address of www.crf600.com is taken...and comes up on google.

• XR6's_rule

Posted November 30, 2005 - 03:47 AM

This to me also confirms that Honda has something on the way to replace the XR650R (about time). The XR650R-while still being a tough, dependable and fast bike, didnt shine in areas where it definintely should've in 2000.

I'll be happy and probably even buy a new product that would deliver the performance/servicability and reliablity that we've come to expect from our big XR's, with at least at bit less weight and better handling.

Mark.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.