Need Help With '01 clutch mod

8 replies to this topic
  • skybry

Posted November 28, 2005 - 08:42 PM

I have a 2000 yz426f with a grabby clutch. I order the parts per cowboyona426 and installed accordingly. There is way too much play in the cable and I can not adjust it out. Did I do something wrong. I've check the sevice manual for a 2001 and everything seems to be put together right. I have a total of 9 friction plates, is that right? Do I just need a new cable or do I need to get the 01 clutch arm. Please help me out I really need this mod to work (I sick of stalling it trying to take off from a dead stop) :applause:

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 28, 2005 - 10:42 PM

I assumed you adjusted both ends of the clutch cable.

You may want to start with a new clutch cable from the 02 bike. Never hurts, keep the old one for spares. Or you cut cut and solder the end shorter if you have the means to.

Otherwise yes get the 01 clutch arm. I remember when I did this mod, I had a new cable and ASV properch setup. It was adjusted all the way out at the case, and about half through the adjustment at the lever.

• skybry

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:24 AM

I've got the perch adjusted all the way out and the adjustment at the bottom all the way out. When I pull the clutch lever in it just mashes the little rubber boot between the end of the cable and the lever arm. I'm thinking about getting the 01 lever arm and a new cable but now it seems like I'm just throwing parts at it. Hope someones got the answer or something works.

• biznet1

Posted November 29, 2005 - 11:37 AM

It sounds to me like you may have used the wrong push rod. If I remember correctly, the 01 push rod is shorter. It's been a while and I could be wrong, but if you didn't buy the push rod, it may be your problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skybry

Posted November 29, 2005 - 01:06 PM

I got the right push rod in and the ball. I just ordered the 01 lever arm so I'll see if that works.

• skybry

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:48 PM

I just did some research on the 2000 yz thru 2005 clutch. It looks like the only years to have the seat plate and the clutch boss spring are the 2001 and 2002. From 2001 on they all have the ball bearing for the push rod assembly. I'am going to remove the 01 clutch parts except for the push rod assembly and see if this works. If this does work I'll call it the (SKYBRY clutch mod for the 2000 yz grabby clutch) and maybe I'll be famous on Thumper Talk.

• skybry

Posted December 01, 2005 - 08:48 PM

I still need someone's experience with updating my clutch to a 2001. So far the only way I could get the clutch to work is to remove one steel plate and one friction plate. So now I have a total of 8 friction plates but the 2001 service manual says I should have 9. If you think about the assembly of the clutch you are adding the seat plate and the clutch boss spring that equals about the thickness of a friction plate. The clutch pull feels like a 125 and I'am not sure thats a good thing. What part of this puzzle am I missing?

• biznet1

Posted December 02, 2005 - 04:36 AM

Again, it's been awhile, but I'm quite sure that you wind up using one less of each. I think you are good to go with that. The mod calls for a different inner friction plate too. Compare your parts with this http://www.thumperta...ight=clutch mod

• skybry

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:34 PM

Just an update on my progress. I got the clutch working and I'am so pumped on my new 2000 yz426.
Come to fiind out that the friction plate I ordered from Yamaha of Troy came in the right bag but the wrong friction plate was in it. The correct friction plate has a 128mm hole in it all the others are 119mm. Luckly I found the right plate three towns away in stock. So I got it all installed plus while I was at the shop I got the 2001 carb needle. Needless to say I put it all together and took it for a spin, all I can say is, my bike is sweeeeeeeeeet. Thanks to everyone at TT for their help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.