Stormlink for Yz450f???

14 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted November 28, 2005 - 06:26 PM

What are the Pro's and Con's from those of you who have used the Stormlink with your 03, 04, or 05 Yz 450f??

I'm thinking of trying one to get better turning and less "topheavy" feel, but I don't want to waste my cash if it really isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Let me know your results.....I mainly ride trails, but from know and in the future, I'll probably be spending more time riding MX.

Don

• TXThumper6

Posted November 28, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Who makes it? And where can you get them? Like to check that out myself and will be interested to know if they work too.

• John407

Posted November 28, 2005 - 07:14 PM

I've had one on my '03 450 for the last year. I think it's better. The bike still ain't no 250F but I don't notice the top heavy flop when I go into turns. It is also annodized blue so it gotta make me faster, right? :applause:

I think it is a good mod. And I would do it again.

• flintlock28

Posted November 28, 2005 - 07:31 PM

John407, Thanks for the info....

I'm probably going to get one....I've heard Honda guys like them on certain years, but I never got much feedback from YZ owners.

TXThumper6....here is a link

http://stormcycles.c...n/web_store.cgi

click on "Products" than click on "Suspension Link"

Don

Keep those responses coming in......

• TXThumper6

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:23 AM

Thanks Don for the link.

Anyone else out there that has tried it?

Scott

• Ga426owner

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:38 AM

I have one on my 03 and it works very well - you must play with the sag settings to get it right. If I owned a 03-05 - it would be on my top 5 things needed list.
It will make the Yami turn much easier and faster...

• dunecj2a

Posted November 29, 2005 - 07:57 AM

Thanks Don for the link.

Anyone else out there that has tried it?

Scott

I like it, 04 450 :applause: Takes a couple of laps to get used to because the bike will turn alot sharper. I would recomend it :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gizabious

Posted November 29, 2005 - 01:36 PM

Hows it different from adjusting the forks in the triple clamps? Doesn't that pretty much do the same thing. The reason i ask is because i tried my forks adjusted so the second line was flush with the top of the t clamp, it felt like :applause: front would try to tuck under on any soft ground ended up level with the first line which is a big improvement over level with the top but would like better.

• flintlock28

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:04 PM

Well one thing that is different from using different offset clamps is that it's $ 139.99 versus over $ 300 for the offset clamps if I remember correctly.

Hey Ga426owner, What are your top 5 recommendations for 03-05 Yzf's??

I recommend :

1) Zip-Ty fuel screw
2) Dunlop 756 up front, and Maxxis IT on the rear
3) Billet Throttle tube
4) ASV Levers
5) I guess now after hearing recommendations....the Stormlink.

Don

• ncmountainman

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:54 PM

the storm link is not available for the 05 as they changed the stock linkage for 05. last month storm said they would be working on it. but basically you can do the same thing by raising your fork tubes. they might benefit taller riders who don't want to lower the front :ride: offset clamps are the way to go :applause:

• flintlock28

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:44 PM

ncmountainman,

Do you know of any online tutorials or any kinda "Suspension for Dummies" links??

I'd like a better idea how the frame geometry, and overall suspension really works.

If the fork tubes are raised, than I guess that makes the front end slightly lower. How does that make the bike turn better?? I would think a steeper angle up front would turn sharper??? My bike is set at what I believe is stock; that is right at the first line from the top of the fork tube. I mainly ride hardpack, and it turns o.k. and I know the very few times I've ridden the track when it actually had some depth to the dirt, it turned way better; I'm just trying to improve the turning overall.

Don

• ncmountainman

Posted November 30, 2005 - 05:38 AM

ncmountainman,

Do you know of any online tutorials or any kinda "Suspension for Dummies" links??

I'd like a better idea how the frame geometry, and overall suspension really works.

If the fork tubes are raised, than I guess that makes the front end slightly lower. How does that make the bike turn better?? I would think a steeper angle up front would turn sharper??? My bike is set at what I believe is stock; that is right at the first line from the top of the fork tube. I mainly ride hardpack, and it turns o.k. and I know the very few times I've ridden the track when it actually had some depth to the dirt, it turned way better; I'm just trying to improve the turning overall.

Don

as with most of my edjmacation,my degree comes from the 'school of hard knocks' :ride: just trial and error is the only way you can properly set the suspension for yourself. a professional can get your valving pointed in the right direction,i've also found that the "reccomended spring rate" is not always the right one. as far as frame geometry,raising the tubes just transfers weight to the front by lowering,just the same as raising the rear. grayracer513 seems to know the math behind it all,he might could help you better understand :applause:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 30, 2005 - 06:52 AM

Well one thing that is different from using different offset clamps is that it's $ 139.99 versus over $ 300 for the offset clamps if I remember correctly.

Hey Ga426owner, What are your top 5 recommendations for 03-05 Yzf's??

I recommend :

1) Zip-Ty fuel screw
2) Dunlop 756 up front, and Maxxis IT on the rear
3) Billet Throttle tube
4) ASV Levers
5) I guess now after hearing recommendations....the Stormlink.

Don

1. any handlebar other than stock - renthal twinwall/protaper -
2. any tire other than 739 - Michelin Starcross MS3 for me
3. ZipTy Fuel Screw
4. decompression plug - TT supplied or specifically for the 03 a flywheel weight
5 Stormlink
6 RG3 tripleclamp or any rubber mtned clamp
7- 99 everything else...........................
:applause:

• flintlock28

Posted November 30, 2005 - 07:14 PM

Thanks ncmountainman..............

Don

• flintlock28

Posted November 30, 2005 - 07:17 PM

Ga.,

You're right about that damned 739....washout city.
Also you're right about the stock handlebars; I bent mine within the first two hours of riding the bike the first time....must've been no more than 8 m.p.h. when the front tire washed out on me..bent it right up

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.