has anybody tryed this

10 replies to this topic
  • jonnyrocket56

Posted November 28, 2005 - 05:07 PM

The steel Primary drive sprockets on rockymountianatv.com and the primary drive o-ring chains are they any good or do they wear out fast? What about the sprocket kits are they worth the money?

• big t

Posted November 29, 2005 - 12:10 AM

I've never tried the PD chains but I have used several of their sprockets. Work great and wear good for the money.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:17 AM

i personally haven't used them but i'm planning on buying a set real soon. my brother orders almost exclusively from rocky mountain and has never complained about their anything wearing out to fast

• Reyndogg

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:51 AM

what size rear are you looking for? i have a brand new titax ultra light 48 im about to ebay - pic

I've had one on my YZ250f for over a year and it still looks very good - i wanted one for my 450 but i cant find a 50 tooth anywhere so i bought an ironman :applause:

• Airman11783

Posted November 29, 2005 - 01:21 PM

Yeah try this I just put on my 14 tooth front and 52 tooth rear sprockets and swaped from a fmf to a white brothers exhaust all at once on top of my allready somewhat heavily modified 2000 Yz 426f, and i washed it got it all nice and pretty did the heat gun trick on the stess marked spots on my radiator flaps or what ever they are called (which actually worked), and I spent so much time doing it and admiring the look of it now I dont have time to go for a short ride. Because of damn probation. Dont worry im not a axe murderer I'm on probation because I ran out of gas runnig from the cops on my bike, when I first got it I was having a blast riping ass around all the side streets in the neighborhood. Stupid of me to run I guess esspecially when low on gas I left the house allready on the reserve. LOL. Sorry Im so grumpy. Thumbes down. Tommorow when I ride her I'll let you know how the setup worked because I know its kinda tall gearing for a person who only runs MX by the way Jonneyrocket56 I have allways ran and still do run a renthal O-ring chain and renthal sprockets. I have a bike that makes tons of power and I ride very hard and very often, and I have found them to be great they last very long they arent very expensive The trick is when I replace or change a spocket or a chain I do all three at once, and I highly suggest O-ring chains just becarful when cleaning them and lubricating them. I clean my chain by putting it in a bucket of water and dish detergent and genlty scrub it with a tooth brush and lub it with Bell ray O-ring chain lube you should get at least 2 seasons out of it if you do this every race. And I personally suggest removing the front sprocket chain gaurd. Thumbs deffinatly up. I may be on probation and have horrible spelling but I know bikes pretty well. lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:08 PM

They work really well. Personally I woudl not choose the steel rear. It is really heavy. You might not notice the difference, but expect it to weigh over a pound more than aluminum.

• SlowJoe400

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:49 PM

I got a steel one about a year and a half ago. I can barely even notice any wear. I suggest getting one and dont feel the extra weight is any burden, but then again i don't race.

• crashyz426

Posted November 30, 2005 - 04:14 AM

damn airman, thats taking chain maintainance to a whole new level, I just put mine up on the stand kick it into first gear and use wd40 and a wire brush to clean mine. then I use the belray lube.

• yz_for_me

Posted November 30, 2005 - 08:05 AM

I just got this setup. It's still sitting in the box under my desk at work so I don't have any opinion yet. I searched here on TT for opinions on PD before I bought and saw almost all positive feedback on the sprockets and mostly positive on the chains. I figured it's cheap enough, what the heck I'll give it a shot. If it sucks I'll go with something else next time. But if it works then I saved a bunch $$.

• DPW

Posted November 30, 2005 - 09:52 AM

what size rear are you looking for? i have a brand new titax ultra light 48 im about to ebay - pic

I've had one on my YZ250f for over a year and it still looks very good - i wanted one for my 450 but i cant find a 50 tooth anywhere so i bought an ironman :applause:

Hold the ironman in one hand and the titax in the other, you will be glad you got the ironman. The titax last, but it's pretty heavy.

• Reyndogg

Posted November 30, 2005 - 10:11 AM

Hold the ironman in one hand and the titax in the other, you will be glad you got the ironman. The titax last, but it's pretty heavy.

I did, acutally, and couldnt tell a difference really - i dont have a mail scale or i would weigh them to see, but i think the ironman may be a little bit lighter b/c there's less metal :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.