426 pros and cons?????

7 replies to this topic
  • dpops211

Posted November 28, 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hello, i have a 2001 KTM 125sx and a guy wants to trade his 2000 YZ426 for it. I dont know a whole lot about the 426's and i just wanted to know if i would be loosing anything in this trade. He says the bike just got a new crank and top end, and it runs really good. Does anybody know some pro's and con's on the 2000 426's? Do you think this would be a smart trade, or should i go for something a little newer? (my KTM is a really nice bike and runs really good)

• swab400

Posted November 28, 2005 - 03:07 PM

you will have way more power with the 426 i would do it but i am a four stroke guy. The only downside to the 426 is the starting of it if it does not have a 450 ex. cam and the weight other than that they are killer bikes considering they are 5 years old. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Buckwheat816

Posted November 28, 2005 - 03:27 PM

The 426 and your 125 are not worth a whole lot on the market right now. Probably about the same assuming both bikes being in equal condition. As far as the 426 being right for you, I would try to ride it first. The 00' 426 had a weak front brake and had questionable cluch durability. I have a 00' 426 and its a great bike, just not quite up to par with the current crop of 450s...your KTM however is still very competitive in it's class. Just my 2pesos.

• dpops211

Posted November 28, 2005 - 04:02 PM

Yea my ktm is a great bike, but i need a little more power, and i rode my friends 426 and it was pretty nice. His is a 2001 i believe. The guy said that he had the auto decom. cam on the bike so starting it isnt really a big issue. Im also looking at 250 f's and 250 2-strokes. Any more suggestions would be really great. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Florida_426

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:46 AM

dpops211,
I have had an'02 YZ 426 since May 2002 and I have loved every minute of having it. I'd say it depends on what you want to do with your bike. A 426 is heavy against the current 450 bikes. Your KTM is pretty light and for its size powerful.

The 450DCM is a plus, I did it in summer 2003 and I have never regretted doing this mod. Mine is pretty well decked out for eastern MX, you can check my garage, I will not take up bandwidth doing the list. Ride both again in the setting you will use them and look the 426 over carefully. Valves and clutch will be your primary replacement issues. Good Luck.

Bill

• yz_for_me

Posted November 30, 2005 - 08:25 AM

I've had an '01 426 since Nov. of '03. It's been a fantastic bike for me. Absolutely bullet proof and a great versatile motor. Like others have said,the '00 did have some minor clutch problems, but nothing serious. Otherwise the only negatives are the weight (which I never found to be a big issue) and the starting "ritual" and if you do the '03 cam mod you won't have the starting issue anymore. I'd say go for it. If your looking for more power the 426 will definately fit the bill. One thing, make sure the guy has been taking good care of it. If he's been slacking on maintenance it could get expensive for you.

• 426boy

Posted December 05, 2005 - 08:11 PM

i have an 01 426 and i absolutely love it it has tons of power and is overall a really nice bike but i am a prety big guy who needs the power if i weighed 140 pounds i might have a difernt opinion but i say do it they are really nice bikes

• Just034

Posted December 05, 2005 - 08:17 PM

Cons: A bit heavy and the weight is a little higher to not turn quite as good as a newer 450

Pros: Everything Else about this bike is super solid.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.