Pressure washer recommendations

15 replies to this topic
  • DaveJ

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:20 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys are using for gas powered pressure washers.

I assume 2200 to 2500 psi will remove the grease without ripping the paint off. Is this enough? Is 4 to 5HP enough?

Is there anything you have used that you didn't like, or anything that broke down?

• 642MX

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:32 PM

I've got a Devilbiss Excell 2500 psi with a 6.5 horse Briggs and Straton engine. I bought it at Home Depot about a year ago. It does a good job, I've had zero problems out of it. I wouldn't get a 4 or 5 horse motor, the 6.5 is barely enough power for the pump. I think I gave around $300.

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:46 PM

I've had several models and used many different makes over the years, from the simple hand wand electric models to the heated industrial strength ones!

My present one is a Craftsman....http://www.epinions....ent_62151495300 this one. I chose it because I can get service or parts for it close to home unlike some of the other models.

I've had a Karcher, in the long run it wasn't that great of a model. I've used the electric ones they simply aren't strong enough.

I think anything under 2000 psi is just not going to work the way I like one to.

Of course, you should be very careful when spraying the critical areas of the bike, the linkage, wheel bearings, and steering stem. I keep my bikes clean but realize that all the water eventually goes somewhere and displaces lubricants when you spray with high pressure. I grease things on a regular basis. This is paramount if you are going to use a pressure washer and want to keep your bike in good working order for any length of time.

• gchprime

Posted November 28, 2005 - 02:02 PM

Get one with a Honda motor on it. I had one with a briggs motor that drank oil. Had to put oil in it evertime I used it. Took it back to Home Depot and upgraded to the Excel model with the Honda motor. Works great!

• 97chevy

Posted November 28, 2005 - 02:24 PM

I would second buying a pressure washer with a Honda motor. The small engines made by Honda are absolutely bulletproof. A Honda is way better than a Briggs or a Tecumseh, hands down.

• aedwards07

Posted November 28, 2005 - 03:12 PM

I have a Briggs and stratton one.I think its like a speed clean or something like that.It works well and was like $250.I think it is 2500 PSI with a 5.5HP motor.

• odlaw19

Posted November 28, 2005 - 07:44 PM

I would second buying a pressure washer with a Honda motor. The small engines made by Honda are absolutely bulletproof. A Honda is way better than a Briggs or a Tecumseh, hands down.

They might not make the best bikes.... :ride: but Honda do make the best small stationary engines! :applause:

First start everytime!

• Diode663

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:43 AM

I have a 2700 PSI washer from HD with a honda motor.. honda does really make the best small motors. I dont use anything but the white nozle anywhere on my bike accept the yellow on the rims. Yellow is too powerfull for the rest of the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • palmdaleRider

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:43 AM

I have the Karcher from Cosco with 2400psi. It has a Honda motor and it kicks butt. I don't use it much, but when I do I'm really impressed.

• Butta

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:16 PM

I use a Husky electric one from HD with 1750 psi. It's small enough to fit in the corner of my trailer to take with me, and with a pre-emptive squirt of Simple Green solution, all the grease, grime, dirt, etc, comes right off without any problems. Do you really need a 2500 psi, big bodied pressure washer? I haven't found that I need more pressure by any means...

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:30 PM

I dont reccomend a pressure washer unless you tear down and regrease your entire bike on a strict (and often) schedule.

• walent215

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:31 PM

i bought my gas powered at wally world for 188 .its like 2000 psi and works great.

• Butta

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:53 PM

By the way, my Husky electric was $149.......

• Diode663

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:24 PM

I had one of those huskys. Couldnt get anything off the bike. And I keep on top of the regreasing. But using discression on where you wave the wand is easier then regreasing all the time. Just dont hit seals or the linkage.

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:56 PM

I use a cheepy electrical 1750psi that I got at pep boys and I am amazed it still works :p . I think it is perfect because it's not too powerfull. I use to go down to a drive thru car wash and those pressure washers would take off stickers that I wanted to keep on. The other thing about the cheapy is it's quiet and when the wife yells at me from the house I can hear her. :applause:. Wait!!!! Maybe I need a gas powered unit. :ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 30, 2005 - 07:09 AM

I dont reccomend a pressure washer unless you tear down and regrease your entire bike on a strict (and often) schedule.

very good point that no one is talking about -
I use a pressure washer - but I also notice that the steering head top and bottom bearings need to be regreased twice as necessary - I do not even aim at the the seal...
same with the linkage and swingarm pivots.....

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.