06 450f exhaust

28 replies to this topic
  • Timbo40

Posted November 28, 2005 - 12:30 PM

I've been checking out the forums on Thumper Talk for some time and have finally registered so I can start talking with you all. I'm first on the list for the SE 450f and I'm hoping I'll recieve the call tomorrow telling me it's in.

In the meantime I want to order a spark arrestor, so it's here when the bike arrives, and was wondering what folks are putting on their bikes. In the past I've been running FMF and would recieve jetting information from them which has worked out well. I've been running the Q pipe since the rangers have their eyes on the "noisy" blue bikes (maybe they'll be fooled by the yellow this year). This muffler has done well for me on my 02 250f and was thinking of buying the Q2 for my new 450. My reservation is paying the $400 dollars for one when I can buy the pro billet end cap to mount on the stock muffler for $150. I have no idea how these end caps work and don't want to drill and rivet one on if it's worthless, or performes less than desired? Any suggestions? I'm also not stuck on the FMF it has just worked well for me in the past. I'm also not against paying $400 if it's worth it, but if a $150 end cap works as well why not?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

• Reyndogg

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:22 PM

Ive heard really good things about the PMB end cap...never used one personally since i dont have to hide from the man heh

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:24 PM

I would give Dr. D a call. He should have what you need..........

• TeamEndo

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:29 PM

I'm going with the PMB end cap on mine, heard good things from friends on them and i'd rather spend the other $300 on other accessories like a glide plate, radiator guards, etc.. Maybe down the road though....

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:40 PM

You might want to give it a few weeks before FMF has anything. The '06 450F is all-new and an '05 exhaust will not fit on the '06 model. Dr. D will have something soon (if not now)...I'd check them out.

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:52 PM

Dr. D shows that the new pipe is available on their site but give no price yet.

• brian389

Posted November 28, 2005 - 02:08 PM

Works great on my '04 YZ450F-smoothes the power for better traction also.

• rcampbell34

Posted December 02, 2005 - 07:03 PM

TimBlowMe40, I suggest you buy a starter and battery because we all know you can't start a YZF. Cut your losses now and buy a HONDA or you will either be sitting back at camp or eating all of our dust!!!!

• mummer12

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:36 AM

DR.D does have the exhaust released. I talked to one of their reps. They are working on an endcap right now.

• SureBlue

Posted December 03, 2005 - 01:38 PM

TimBlowMe40, I suggest you buy a starter and battery because we all know you can't start a YZF. Cut your losses now and buy a HONDA or you will either be sitting back at camp or eating all of our dust!!!!

:applause: :ride: :p ... timblowme... :p colorful newbies we have here, welcome.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • leakypipe23

Posted December 03, 2005 - 11:03 PM

• WheelsUp

Posted December 03, 2005 - 11:40 PM

Will the PMB cap still fit the new YZ?

• SureBlue

Posted December 04, 2005 - 12:29 AM

Will the PMB cap still fit the new YZ?

PMB has informed they have a new endcap available next week.

• aford541

Posted December 04, 2005 - 08:33 AM

Consider the DMC afterburner exhaust, a couple of my friends use them and they are great. I will be running onw on my 06 if it ever gets here.

• twenty34

Posted December 04, 2005 - 09:06 PM

looks like a nice product, but I had a question. The website claims it's designed to be lighter and more durable than a stock unit, but does it do anything to improve performance or increase HP? For almost $400, I'd be a little hesitant to purchase it unless I knew it provides an adequate increase in the areas mentioned above?

• WheelsUp

Posted December 04, 2005 - 11:15 PM

It really is hard to beat the stock YZ exhaust.
If you look through mag reviews, you'll see HUGE gains from the green and yellow bikes, modest gains from the red bikes, and nothing that you'll really actually feel from the blue bikes.

• Timbo40

Posted December 05, 2005 - 08:00 AM

I appreciate all the feedback, except for the Honda punk, and have found the following:
DR.D full exhaust system from header pipe to tail $550...probably a great suystem but for now I want to ride the bike stock.
The PMB end cap sounds like it works and I'm still considering this one. My only reservation, is the extends that long muffler even more. Do want a muffler that ends up sticking "almost" to the end of the fender.
I plan to make a decision today on this and I beleive this will be based on the length of some aftermarket silencer/sparky. If FMF or WB make a silencer that's several inches shorter than the stock with end cap, I'll probably go that way.
I'll keep you all informed just FYI.

Thanks for all the help.

• WheelsUp

Posted December 05, 2005 - 08:02 AM

Nice first post :applause:

• Reyndogg

Posted December 05, 2005 - 08:26 AM

Nice first post :ride:

it was pretty clear to me that they're friends / riding buddies :applause:

anyway, you could always cut 6" off the stock canister, drill it, then put the pmb cap on it :p

• Timbo40

Posted December 06, 2005 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the input guys. FYI, FMF, WB, and Pro Circuit do not have a silencer/spark arrestor ready for distribution yet. FMF says they will have one ready in 3-4 weeks. Pro Moto Billet released the end cap for the 06 Yammi last Friday. I will have one at my house by the end of week for $130. Dr. D does not sell just the silencer alone. All they have is a full exhaust system from the head pipe back for $515.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.