1999 XR600R valve clearance

4 replies to this topic
  • 1999XR600R

Posted November 28, 2005 - 11:21 AM

I have searched the forum and found .004 intake and .005 exhaust. Is that universal for all 600's? the forum didn't say what year these clearances were for, so just wondering if these are correct for a 1999 xr600r. thanks

• don87xr600

Posted November 28, 2005 - 12:49 PM

those are correct for all years xr600r and the 650L

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1999XR600R

Posted November 28, 2005 - 12:55 PM

Thanks! I did have a hard time with getting the feeler gauges in the small hole. I do have a question about the decompression lever! the decompression shaft comes onto the valve to hold it open (right?) i was able to get it to dis-engage (the pin turns sideways off the valve) and then i noticed that valve was adjusted the same as the other three, or so it looked by the threads and nut location. well i went to slide the feeler gauge in and it wouldn't go, so i had to back the adjust bolt out quite a bit to be able to get the feeler guage in. whats the deal? now one valve is adjusted totally different than the other!! could it have been over tightened in the past? help please!

• 1999XR600R

Posted November 28, 2005 - 12:58 PM

nevermind, disregaurd the stupidty! i think the fumes are getting to me. or the beer. i went and turned it over a couple times, and now it is wayy to loose, so i have tightened it back to what it should be. duh

• creeky

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:11 PM

You have just learned the "auto decompressor was activated and I screwed up the valve adjustment" lesson. As you found out, turning the engine over slowly a few times will allow the auto decompressor to deactivate. :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.