Any performance gains with an Iridium plug?

24 replies to this topic
  • dunecj2a

Posted November 28, 2005 - 09:32 AM

Is there any difference running an Iridium plug? Do they burn cleaner and help throttle response?

• Open_Class

Posted November 28, 2005 - 09:36 AM

In theory. The big benefit is in the consistant spark quality over the life of the plug, which will also be longer than standard plugs.

• stillsun

Posted November 28, 2005 - 09:41 AM

In theory. The big benefit is in the consistant spark quality over the life of the plug, which will also be longer than standard plugs.

Someone just asked this like a week ago and there was a thread with at least 10 to 15 responses...

-J

• 642MX

Posted November 28, 2005 - 10:36 AM

Search the general forums.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:47 PM

No gain whatsoever!

They just last longer. If anyone claims different, prove it.

• Buckwheat816

Posted November 28, 2005 - 03:28 PM

Bike will start easier.

• mose29

Posted November 28, 2005 - 04:10 PM

I just put one in about a week ago and have found no diffrence.we'll see if it lasts longer.....

• mose29

Posted November 28, 2005 - 04:13 PM

there is a plug out there that I have heard of that has shown to make a diff on a dyno.Its a Brisk AOR12LGS.big $$$$$$$$ for one plug

• FFRacing79

Posted November 28, 2005 - 07:18 PM

:applause:

there is a plug out there that I have heard of that has shown to make a diff on a dyno.Its a Brisk AOR12LGS.big $$$$$$$$ for one plug

:ride:

• speddie3

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:28 AM

I put one in and so far have seen absoutly nothing to justify the 6$$ difference. And sad to say but it almost seems harder to start with it. I am gonna revert back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stillsun

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:30 AM

Bike will start easier.

? Where's the data to back up this claim?

-J

• Reyndogg

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:06 AM

dude it's on the internet, it has to be true :applause:

hehe

• stillsun

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:08 AM

dude it's on the internet, it has to be true :ride:

hehe

That's right I forgot... :p :applause:

• Open_Class

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:10 AM

-J

I believe that the theory is that since the integrity of the spark will last longer than a standard plug, over time you will not see a degradation in the ease of starting.

Of course if you change your plug periodically, this would negate the need for a high end long lasting expensive plug.

just my .02

• stillsun

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:23 AM

So then it's not really that the bike starts easier with the plug, the statement should have been "plug lasts longer." That is true, but single copper plugs are pennies anyways and provide the best performance (less resistance.) And theoretically should start easier than the iridium as long as they are both being used in their "good" life span.

-J

• Open_Class

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:42 AM

I think that is a fair statement.

The whole point of the special metal plugs was originally to increase the life span so vehicles that have hard to get at plugs would not need them changed as often.

The only disadvantage to copper is that it is a softer metal and will start to wear quicker allowing the spark to wander.

If the bike is tuned correctly and the plug changed appropriately, copper should be fine.

the caveat of course is to always use the manufacture recommended plugs (heat range, etc.)

• stillsun

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:43 AM

Yup, exactly, I use copper in everything, dirt bikes, my hot rods, you name it... if you're going for pure performance and don't mind changing the plugs out a little more often than a platinum or for those who don't care about money, iridium, then copper is the way to go.

-J

• Ga426owner

Posted November 29, 2005 - 12:19 PM

I have tried both in 426's and my 450 - I can tell no difference in starting or performance -
My wallet can definitely tell the difference..... :applause:

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:39 PM

It should be noted that the stock CR8E resistor plug in my YZ250F lasted over a year of hard use before I pulled it out to check it. I replaced it, but with the condition it was in...I could have easily left it in for three to four more months and been fine.

So, maybe spending the extra dough for an Iridium or Platinum plug isn't justifiable?

• Buckwheat816

Posted November 29, 2005 - 03:53 PM

-J

The data is in my right leg on my kickers or the E-start on my DRZ. Not that I ever had a problem starting before, but I did notice an improvement with the iridium. While fouled plugs were very rare before, they are non-existent now. Been using them for years. Is the extra 5 bucks really that big an issue? If I were putting them in my V8 truck they would be cause I am a cheap bastage, but the extra cost for a bike is so nill I don't even think twice about it. Scientific Data? Go ask an NGK engineer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.