Help with trans

7 replies to this topic
  • rushfan

Posted November 28, 2005 - 06:36 AM

Hey guys. I went riding over the weekend and had some trouble up shifting and down sifting. I really had to apply some effort. Neutral?? Forget about it!! I have to mention that the morning started about 45 degrees. Could that be it? I think I remember reading about some wr's having probs like this. Any advise? Thanks in advance...rushfan

• rushfan

Posted November 28, 2005 - 07:43 PM

Hello?? Anyone? Indy? Black and Blue? Mountainman? :applause:

• ARin

Posted November 29, 2005 - 02:03 AM

oil weight may be too heavy for the cold weather. making your clutch plates sticky, making your gears sticky, making it hard to shift. Use a more appropriate oil weight for the temp.

• rushfan

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:37 AM

It's still the factory oil. Should I have lighter in the winter and heavier in the summer?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5valve

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:39 AM

oil doesnt affect that much and even if it did, when engine warms up, problems would disappear

check outer first, like bent lever, tight chain, clogged shifting space
if OK, move inside...bent axle, damaged shift fork

• jbrooks26

Posted November 29, 2005 - 07:44 AM

Don't forget about a worn clutch basket. If the clutch is not completely dis-engaging then it will definately be harder to shift and near impossible to find neutral sometimes. Hope this helps.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:09 PM

your clutch cable might be out of adjustment,also inspecting the clutch basket is easy,just pop off the clutch cover and see if the ears of the basket are still good. being in cali it shouldn't be the cold,i run 30 wt in mine yr round. if thats all good i'd say look into some of the other afore mentioned probs,i've seen a couple people on hear complain about the shifting forks on the wr :applause:

• rushfan

Posted November 30, 2005 - 06:33 AM

Thanks NC. I was hoping that you would reply. I will do that this weekend and get back to you. Thanks again. :applause:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.