Filter backfire guard

10 replies to this topic
  • Woods_Weapon

Posted November 27, 2005 - 03:57 PM

I just got my new 650 broken in and have a quick question which I couldn't find the answer to in the archives. I installed UNI air filter that came with a "frame" that allowed me to take out the restirictive CA backfire guard (the metal myst between the filter and intake tract). Do you guys run both guards or do you take the stock one out when uncorking? I ordered a "high flow" guard from XR's only and it just doesn't fit too well and wanna toss it.

• husky123

Posted November 27, 2005 - 04:03 PM

WW,

A while ago I installed the UNI (when they first came out) and took out my screen and singed the filter pretty good, no fire though. Since then I believe UNI is using different foam that is 'a little' more flame retardent. Since then though I've always run the backfire screen.

• creeky

Posted November 27, 2005 - 04:56 PM

I've been riding XRs for years with no backfire screen and never had a problem.

• pigryder

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:00 PM

I bought the xrs only hi flow screen also it fits alot better since I modified it alittle, just had cut some material with some metal snips!

• big t

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:03 PM

I use the Uni without the backfire screen on the 650 and 400. No probelms.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:11 PM

The last thing I would want to happen with my pig is to watch it burn to death!!

• Woods_Weapon

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:13 PM

Thanks guys,
Yeah, burying a fried pig would be tough, especially at such a young age! I guess I'll just tin snip the XRs only one.

• XR4DEZ

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:18 PM

They sell the material that the XRs Only screen is made of at the hardware store. You can cut one out using tin snips and your old screen as a pattern.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 27, 2005 - 09:29 PM

I run the stock screen with no problems. Pigs do backfire in the air box if the carb back flows fuel into the box. It does happen if you leave the stock carb float level at stock settings. That leaves the fuel level too high in the bowl and even a gradual hill can cause fuel to back flow into the air box.

Many of us have kicked the bike over and heard and felt the explosion underneath the seat in the air box. The screen totally saves you filter.

• BIG RED

Posted November 28, 2005 - 08:06 PM

i was going to order the high flow backfire screen with my Barnum's side plate screen kit and they told me the stock b.f. screen was just as good as the replacement b.f. screens! anybody else here this?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:42 AM

i was going to order the high flow backfire screen with my Barnum's side plate screen kit and they told me the stock b.f. screen was just as good as the replacement b.f. screens! anybody else here this?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Yep I have heard and read that too. I have read of some folks taking a layer of screen out of the stock one but I don't see why someone would even do that. The theory is they are going to help it breath better. I don't think the screen is that much of a hinderance to breathing as long as you keep it clean.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.